Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times

Advertisements

To my boss:
If government customs says I need a special tag for this package, which needs to be ok'd by the census bureau and needs to have a hazardous goods tag which then needs to be ok'd by the government before I send it out, it may take more than 15 minutes to do this. In fact, they said it would take 48-72 hours. I got it done in less than 24. Apparently, this is not fast enough and it is now my fault for the government requiring regulations.

I guess what it comes down to is... sometimes it really and honestly is not the employees fault and it's not nice to blame them for things that are completely out of their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,846,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Moonlight: OMG that's illegal in my state.
Thats illegal in Every State in the USA. FLSA.
prohibits blackballing ex-employees. That relative can take their info with the employees work record and sue that employer for defamation of character, and according to which state you live in, also maybe

INTERFERENCE WITH RIGHT TO WORK:
(b) In the exercise of the right to work, each person shall be free from threats, force, intimidation, or coercion.
(c) A person who violates this subchapter is liable to a person who suffers from that violation for all resulting damages. (Enacted 1995.)

§ 101.302. Injunctive Relief

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,182,382 times
my former employer did the same thing when anyone called for references. Once I knew she did that and that she did so even if the former employee was an excellent employee; I knew I was wasting my time working there.Plus she was the employer who preferred to not pay the employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Unfortunately, I know this. My husband is a very hard-working employee. From all the previous jobs he's held, there has never been an unkind word said against his work ethic. His current place of employment is closing next month. Some of the workers (incl. my hubby) are trying to line up other jobs b4 this happens. The owner has been telling other employers that have been inquiring about these workers that they are lousy at their jobs. He's so afraid of a mass exodus of employees b4 he shuts the doors for good. And the way the employees found out this was going on was b/c one of the employers doing the inquiring happen to be a relative of one of the employees & was inquiring about a fellow employee for another position in her company.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 AM

129 posts, read 445,100 times
Advise to my boss?

When times were better you had 8 people on staff with various job titles. At that time you handled 99% of the daily work requirement yourself and did not delegate any work or responsibilty to those employees including me. Since we have been bought out by a large company and the staff is now 4 you continue to do all of the work personally.
You and I have both been through a buy-out before and you have to know that your management practices have been noticed by the new management structure.
You must also know that when we employees are asked certain questions we answer by saying that YOU handle everything. I think that you have placed yourself on tender footing with the new company since they have to be considering what they would be left with if something were to happen to you.
I think that the time is here for you to delegate your work to others and demnostrate that we are all totally trained in the daily operations of our business unit.
If the Managers of the new Company have to come in and tell us how to operate our affairs I feel compelled to tell you that your job would be the first to be evaluated. This is how people lose their jobs. Sir.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,043,351 times
He doesn't feel you can do the job. I delegated, but never completed what others couldn't do. With the lost business, I reprimanded and sacked people. In the end no one was left and the enterprise folded.

Is there anyone out there with brains?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 AM

512 posts, read 1,566,464 times
I'd tell him/her to get off this forum and get to work.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
I'd tell him/her to get off this forum and get to work.
If your referring to me then thats a lost cause. I don't have that kind of power anymore.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,846,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
If your referring to me then thats a lost cause. I don't have that kind of power anymore.
Yes, we know your many limitations.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Yes, we know your many limitations.
I'm backed into a corner and the business that I'm in doesn't have a need for being weak.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,730,403 times
I think your post should be on the boss advice to employee thread, and I also wonder if you could maybe look at yourself as responsible for an enterprise folding. I have a theory about bad businesses and corps. It's a trickle down theory. Basically on top are all these big wigs who are awful people. Their crap runs downhill until it gets to the real workers down below. The real workers don't bother working hard because conditions are bad and they are treated badly. So really, the downfall of a company starts with the pigs up top. So I suppose you could credit the actual downfall to the real workers, but the cause of the downfall is the guys up top.

Honestly, good corps are run by smart people who understand that if people feel appreciated and are well compensated, the company stands strong. duh.

Oh and Movie? How would you know that he doesn't feel that person could do the job? Maybe the boss has some serious control issues! Reprimanding and sacking people sounds like a good way to crash.

I can tell you are one mad person with one gigantic chip on your shoulder and I'm honestly sorry for your hard times. I hope that you try not to let your hatred ruin you as a person. Maybe this is just a bad time in your life. Sorry again.

Quote:
He doesn't feel you can do the job. I delegated, but never completed what others couldn't do. With the lost business, I reprimanded and sacked people. In the end no one was left and the enterprise folded.

Quote:
This is pretty rude. There are tons of people with brains. That's how businesses thrive in the US. Off the backs of us hard workers with, um, brains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment