Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

My oldest daughter is bright - very bright but falls behind in math, way behind. She began college during high school due to her skills and she was to complete the math...but failed. Remedial...failed.

So now she's dropped out of college because she can't pass the-any math class.

She made As,Bs and even a few Cs in things like biology...but math...

her younger sibling is in boot camp for the Marines so she wants to join the Army...but can't pass the math portion of the ASVAB

I'm at a loss on what to do with her. She's getting bummed and is starting to hang around some shady characters from work.

Work is horrible around here and even the local McDonalds aren't hiring. So many losing their jobs, too.

What can she do? I thought some time volunteering somewhere would help her self esteem...and then go to college for just the 1 math class.

Anyone know of any youth/college age volunteer programs that go abroad or somewhere that's just not here at home?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
I can understand the frustration because I also stink at math. I always did very well in other subjects but couldn't wrap my mind around math. Oh, I get the basics like adding, multiplying and so on but algebra, geometry, etc...Um, no.

Everyone excels in different areas and your daughter is probably more frustrated by this than you are. It's tough to look around and see others who excel at something that they make look easy then try it yourself and fail miserably. She needs to concentrate on what her strengths are and not beat herself up for what she isn't good at.

Is a tutor an option for her? My step-daughter currently uses one for her math classes and it's not expensive at all.

Perhaps an education at a technical college or business college would have easier math classes. Not all degrees require algebra, geometry and trigonometry. Have her look for something that just needs a business math class which isn't as intense. There are fields that do not require an extensive education in math but most require the remedial courses.

There are options out there. She just needs to understand that if she wants to get a college education, some math will be required and to ask for help when she needs it. There's no shame in asking.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
The Peace Corps.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The Peace Corps.
I thought you must have a degree to join the peace corp?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
She checked into the Peace Corps while although you don't have to have a degree....they want you to have a 4 year or either alot of experience(working experience) in that field.

She's checked into that.

Thanks for the input....I'll check the thread later to see other responses.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Could she transfer to a college with no math requirement?

I am miserable at math because it bores me. When I apply it, I'm fine (physics, economics for instance) but just straight math classes kill me. I specifically chose to apply to colleges with either no core classes or a "weak" core curriculum. My "math" requirement was economics which I needed to take for my major anyway. There are at least a handful of colleges like that. Not every college has the traditional system of 2 years of strict gen ed and then your majors- and thank goodness! That would have bored me out of my mind!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times
Tell her to do some research on the math professors at that school. If it's a medium or larger sized school, there HAS to be a teacher that has a class she can pass. I had a math class my freshman year where I literally got 10 points for showing up to class each day -- not directly, but at the end of each lecture, we would do a 10 point quiz. And the teacher more or less gave us the answers every time. He rewarded us for showing up. There has to be something similar at this school. Or a tutor that can teach her in a method she will understand.

Giving up and quitting, especially if she truly is bright, is an absolutely absurd decision to make. I hope you can convince her of this.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
I had a tutor help me with math. She had to break things down into simple steps for me.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times
College isn't the automatic ticket to a career. Trust me, I have that experience.

She can get a trade. She can find a job anywhere that doesn't require college and she may actually enjoy what and who she works with, even if it doesn't make 100K a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment