Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Today we were at Walmart and they have Dunkin Donuts in there. One person was working the counter. ONE person. Took her 10 or 15 minutes to help each customer.

Hire more help!!
I had that at a Duncan Donuts here,however it was partially my fault as I showed up during 'off peak hours' so there was then less people working there. But I agree they shouldn't be that slow,unless they're just fill-in people or they're burnt out from the peak time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Here is one difference I noted when I lived in England.

Clerks at stores GET TO SIT DOWN!!! Yes, they have chairs and sit all day.
In the USA you stand up and have to deal with it.

Today we were at Walmart and they have Dunkin Donuts in there. One person was working the counter. ONE person. Took her 10 or 15 minutes to help each customer.

Hire more help!!
Working at the movies, I hardly ever sat down.
My feet killed me for the first month of working there and I was grateful for every break.

I remember reading in the newspaper a couple weeks ago about retail places hiring less clerks and that the clerks have to be more efficient.
I would hate to be timed and have that little old lady taking decades to find 5 cents.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Working at the movies, I hardly ever sat down.
My feet killed me for the first month of working there and I was grateful for every break.
Same here working at the store...it was a cement floor and it even exacerbated any back problems anyone had!
Out of an 8 hour day we May have gotten to sit down just for our 30 min break

Old 12-19-2008, 04:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I work midnights at a hotel, so i get my share of creeps and a******* in general...

-When you give someone a discount and they try to hustle you for even more money off the room. This isn't a garge sale and if you don't like the deal I'm offering you (which I don't have to do) you can take your cheap*** somewhere else.

-Getting blamed for stuff that is clearly not my fault (I had a guy who had a problem with his showerhead last weekend-and even after we got the problem resolved, he called me back and screamed "You WILL give me a discount, you f***ing b****".)

-People who get a room, then come back an hour or so later after they did their 'shady dealings' (hookers, drug dealings, whatever) and get mad when we won't give them a refund.

-Needy people (People who keep calling the desk for everything and nothing)

-People who don't speak English, and get mad at me because I don't speak their language (I had this issue just last night)

-General creeps and perverts ("You going to come share my bed with me?")

Old 12-19-2008, 04:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I think it's because of all this p.c. 'time out' junk parents of this generation are teaching to their kids,which in turn makes them just not care due to lack of discipline. When I was growing up,we had the right amount of fears or at least respect instilled in us.
I think we ought to revert back to this and either properly train customer service people to deal with unruly customers or simply lift the rules regarding taking their crap and allow the customer service people to give it right back and put them in their place!
I agree. Where I work, management has instructed us desk clerks to stand up for ourselves if someone is being abusive. If someone gets out of line, we politely yet firmly tell them they can take their business elsewhere.

Everywhere else I've worked, I was always told to grin and bear it because 'the customer is always right', no matter how horrible or wrong they were. We all know that's BS!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I think it's because of all this p.c. 'time out' junk parents of this generation are teaching to their kids,which in turn makes them just not care due to lack of discipline. When I was growing up,we had the right amount of fears or at least respect instilled in us.
I think we ought to revert back to this and either properly train customer service people to deal with unruly customers or simply lift the rules regarding taking their crap and allow the customer service people to give it right back and put them in their place!
YES! Why on EARTH should retail workers be subject to such abuse from people who should know better? I've gone from having a boss that would kick people out if they were just getting on his nerves to one that caters to all the rude people that complain about nothing.... things aren't as fun anymore.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine
I work at Macys or as I like to call it " rent and return and get 15% off store"

What bothers me more then anything is people thinking we, the associates, set the policy's for the whole corporation. This is one example scenario.
I've had similar experience at Macy's, with men's polo shirts. They buy the RL for the horse thing, wear them, wash them a few times... in hot water, they shrink. They bring them back... well they say because of shrinkage. But I know it's because they're dumba$$e$. After wash and before dry, pull the side and arm seams to restore the length. Also, grab the whole shirt at the neck and at the base and pull. Restores the length, keeps the shape. But of course not good on the budget as it doesn't get next year's shirt for free. They may think they're being impressive by wear RL Polo's but it's obvious they don't have maids.

And yeah, those sale exclusions are dictated by the buyers in NYC, by agreements with vendors.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I feel for you all! I'd be a garbage collector before I would ever work in retail

Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
so this thread is for those of us that work in retail or customer service, and the things that annoy us about the general public.
Used to intern for a gov't agency doing plan checks/building permits and dealing with developers/ contractors.
When I told them they can't do this/that, or that they need to bring the rest of the requirements, or show something on the calculations, they would ask why...?
Well... it's the regulation.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I work midnights at a hotel, so i get my share of creeps and a******* in general...

-When you give someone a discount and they try to hustle you for even more money off the room. This isn't a garge sale and if you don't like the deal I'm offering you (which I don't have to do) you can take your cheap*** somewhere else.

-Getting blamed for stuff that is clearly not my fault (I had a guy who had a problem with his showerhead last weekend-and even after we got the problem resolved, he called me back and screamed "You WILL give me a discount, you f***ing b****".)

-People who get a room, then come back an hour or so later after they did their 'shady dealings' (hookers, drug dealings, whatever) and get mad when we won't give them a refund.

-Needy people (People who keep calling the desk for everything and nothing)

-People who don't speak English, and get mad at me because I don't speak their language (I had this issue just last night)

-General creeps and perverts ("You going to come share my bed with me?")
That's probably because I assume you're a female that works at the front desk in a not-so-nice area?

When I worked room service at the Marriott in VA it was ok,the only frustrating thing to me as a young guy were the beautiful women that would call then have the man answer the door!
Other than that there were only a couple people that tried to run me around and give me a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment