Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This has always been the case in communities like my hometown, small places without much by way of job opportunities. Those students who don't have the interest in and/or money for continued schooling have long looked to the military, because to them, it's a sure paycheck (and they are also looking for ways to fund future schooling).

The military isn't a good default option, IMO. It's not something to be taken lightly and turned to because you can't get any other job.
It can be a good default option if you do your research wisely. I joined the Navy to study nuclear engineering. This program is divided into three separate schools. Finish the first school and you have rank and a job rating. Finish the second school and you move onto a real nuclear power plant. Finish the third school and you get a huge money bonus and move onto a ship or submarine with special duty pay. I finished the first school but wasn't able to finish the second. I worked on steam turbine electric generators, steam turbine engines, water distilling plants, water and oil chemical testing, and learned how to fight fires. Went inside the Pyramids of Egypt, saw the canals of Venice, saw the leaning tower of Pisa, saw Jerusalem and Bethleham, saw ocean waves glowing in the dark, and I walked the streets of Athens, Greece. If you do your research in the job fields the military has to offer and go after the field of your choice then you'll get out of the military as much as you put into it. Goof off your entire 4 years and you'll get nothing out of it. Apply yourself, study, work hard, and use the time for college courses and you'll get a lot out of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how many people who never served in the military seem to think they know about the military,...probably based upon what they see in movies, TV, and the evening news. I know quite a bit about the Navy having served 8 years. But I know very little about the other branches. When visiting an Air Force base I was shocked to find out that there are people serving in the Air Force who work as bartenders at the enlisted and officers clubs. That's their job in the Air Force. Navy ships have people who operate the laundry machines. These same people must also learn about vending machines, and running the ship's store. Some are cooks. Some do computer programing and repairs as their job. In my 8 years in the Navy I only fired or held a gun in my hand one time and that was in bootcamp. Some people in the military are nothing more than paper pushers. Some do payroll or postal clerks. If you join the navy to be a hospital corpsman you may get assigned to a Marine unit. My father-in-law did that job and never set foot on a ship. His whole time was with the Marines. If you get a particular job in the Navy, don't be surprised if you're expected to learn how to do other jobs outside your field.

Oh, and if you see someone at a bar telling great and entertaining war stories about combat,...he or she is probably either lying or greatly embellising the truth. Fun stories about getting drunk or partying are usually true.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 AM

My first ship Nov 1990 to decommission
USS Iwo Jima (LPH 2)
My second ship 1993-1996
USS La Salle (AGF 3)
Finished service at SIMA Ingleside, TX

Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
I remember in 2003 someone asked if Bush was going to institue a draft and someone said, he wont he will just make a society where if you want to eat you will have to join the Army, looks like the plan is going good

Citation for the above crap?

Of course not.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
It makes sense. I can see young people just starting out being more likely to do it.

Military doesn't take anyone over certain age, tho.

Plus with a Democrat in Office, there's likely to be some military cutbacks.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,423 times
So many people that have NOT served and still they know everything....I am sure they get all the info they need from the news and movies -or- the one vet that is trying to get attention.

I love it when a bum comes up and claims to be a vet, the first thing I ask is "Oh man, What unit?" and wait to hear the lie (90% of the time) or sometimes they just walk away knowing the gig is up. The VA makes a push each year to find homeless vets and get them into treatment. You should be helping a true vet to get in touch with the VA.

If a young person is joining the Military to get "a job" then they must be dumb as a bag of hammers, because they certainly know that there is a war on. Although most of the "kids" that join claim they came on for the benefits, they still have a dominant motive of "Service to Country" as you will find out once they have been working with you for awhile.

Think about a hungry hippie on Telegraph outside Berkley, how hungry would they have to be to join up?

And just to save you a trip to my profile...vet, 21 years Army, Retired and STILL SERVING (Civil Service)...what have you done?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM

272 posts, read 407,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Citation for the above crap?

Of course not.

ha it was something someone said on a message board, its the truth though

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
More like 25% of homeless "claim" to be veterans.

I did 24 years in the USAF and my son is in now stationed overseas. The military is a great opportunity for lots of kids to better themselves and gain self discipline. It is good for young people to serve thier country; it teaches them that freedom is not free but earned by the blood of patriots.

Agree 100%, the military is a great way to better ones self. The military has always provided for my family and I. I am on my way to 20 years having served first in the Army and now in the Air Force.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
The economy is no excuse for contributing to a bad cause. You can lose your life for that low military pay.
I am certain the two men whose lives were saved by my husband's direct actions (BTW he was risking his life not for that low military pay but "so others may live") don't think his work was contributing to a bad cause. One, by the way, was a civilian who happened to go to work one day and get caught on a fishing vessel during a terrible storm. Nothing to do with any military action.

I can only hope that the people who are joining only for the pay, benefits, and job security learn that there is honor in serving others.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 AM

72 posts, read 220,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I am certain the two men whose lives were saved by my husband's direct actions (BTW he was risking his life not for that low military pay but "so others may live") don't think his work was contributing to a bad cause. One, by the way, was a civilian who happened to go to work one day and get caught on a fishing vessel during a terrible storm. Nothing to do with any military action.

I can only hope that the people who are joining only for the pay, benefits, and job security learn that there is honor in serving others.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disrespect military people out there. I can't thank them enough for their braveness and honor in serving their country but the war in Iraq was totally unnecessary. I truly believe Bush had an ulterior motive for invading Iraq rather than WMDs or liberating the people. But my point was- there are lots of people that join the military for the wrong reasons. But as you pointed out...there are a few good men...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment