Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times

Advertisements

Generations back, it was a mark of good character to hold a position for a long time (possibly an entire career); but this generation sees each open position as a possibility to better one's salary/career path.

Has the current economic climate brought us back to conservative behavior, or is it still a wise investment in yourself to try to jump to the next lily pad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
If you're satisfied with it, I would say it probably means you just found an exceptionally good (and stable) place to work! Count it as a blessing!

Sometimes people need to change for any number of good reasons, but a history of "job-hopping" still looks bad on a resume IMO.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
14 years and counting at my current gig. I plan to ride this horse until I get bucked off!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I've been at my place

for 18 years and even if there was no recession I would still have the same concern you asked about what other people would think of you as a loser. In fact i am excessively concerned as to what others think of that

it's been my experience that younger workers tend to judge others who have been at a job for a longer period of time because they just don't understand what it's like to pay your own bills and live on your own. Also, everyone is different and what works for one person just doesn't work for another

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
I've been with the same company for 28 years and have not regetted making that choice. I have been fortunate to have survived a few economical downturns, as its sad to see good friends laid off. In my line of work job shoppers make up quite a bit of the work force. These folks come and go depending on the work load as they are typically the first to go. Some shoppers, however will jump ship for more bucks in a heart beat. When this happens, it is looked down on and they are usually not ever hired back. Especially, if they left without finishing their job and someone else had to take on additional work load. Their reputation catches up with them in the end and no company in town will then hire them.

There are many shoppers that are very skilled and reliable. Those folks demand top dollar, but they do understand that as business declines they're the first ones out the door. They are also overtime hungry and which is benefical to meeting schedules. Poor performers and rule breakers are terminated immediatelly, as they are only given about 2 hour notice. Shoppers are not new to this generation (related to my business), as they have been around for decades.

In my present position, I would not ever consider leaving the company. As long as they will have me, I'll be there.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
It depends how you are at compared to others in the profession. If you are in the top 25% of wage earners for the occupation then I would say you are doing great. If not, then you have room to improve.

Once you have peaked out you probably should start moving to side ventures like a weekend business or something.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Generations back, it was a mark of good character to hold a position for a long time (possibly an entire career); but this generation sees each open position as a possibility to better one's salary/career path.

Has the current economic climate brought us back to conservative behavior, or is it still a wise investment in yourself to try to jump to the next lily pad?
If its pre-career, i see staying at one job as being a sucker for not looking for better opportunity. If your stuck, your stuck.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I think it depends on advancement. I think it is risky to stay at the same place for years and not advance/improve your skill set/grow professionally. I've been at my current job for the past 7 years --and very limited advancement (just not possible, no openings, it's always been a struggling company); but during that time I earned my degree (company paid for it), obtained professional certifications and am working on my CPA. I also work a lot of side jobs. Had I not done all of those things, I'd be very worried.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no you are a wise man surrounded by a swarm of frantic fools. the quality held most in contempt in america, fidelity.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
I have been at the same job for 30 years now...I am darn good at it and I love the job...I do not consider myself a loser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment