Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
A snippy, but not well thought out post. She is posting here to get ahead of the line by stating that an organization will get her a J1 visa. Once she has something lined up, the organization will make sure she gets the necessary visa and any American wanting to compete for the job will be shut out. I don't see any room on that line for Americans (students or anyone else wanting seasonal employment) seeking a job. I don't see a job being available for an American to fairly and equitably compete for because it will already be reserved for a foreign citizen. I see a direct pipeline offshore. Understand the concept now?
With all due respect, I simply don't understand your stance and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's based on your legitimate knowledge of the temporary visa process and/or some sort of personal agenda based on "them" coming "here."

The OP is looking for a job for max THREE MONTHS. And he/she speaks and writes English too. Do YOU have any real proficiency in any foreign languages? Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
\If anyone finds a job, by posting on here, I will think it is very lucky and not preferential.

Another thought
So you're saying it is a longshot that posting on here results in employment anyway.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect, I simply don't understand your stance and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's based on your legitimate knowledge of the temporary visa process and/or some sort of personal agenda based on "them" coming "here."

The OP is looking for a job for max THREE MONTHS. And he/she speaks and writes English too. Do YOU have any real proficiency in any foreign languages? Cheers!
Of course you don't understand. Judging from your location, I don't expect you to. First of all, what the OP is asking for is perfectly legal, whether I like it or not. I just do not see many other countries that would be as generous to U.S. students looking to earn money while traveling to their country. Usually it is the other way around: other countries are looking to get money out of the traveler from the US.

The American taxpayer is taxed to the limit. Taxes are going up. Expenses are going up. Salaries are going down or people are getting let go and cannot find another job. The businesses in this country tend to forget WHO is paying the taxes around here to support the excellent infrastructure in the US that makes the smooth running of their businesses possible. Instead of hiring American taxpayers, they are busy in the race to the bottom when it comes to what wages they will pay. From hiring illegal aliens to offshore outsourcing, they are slowing killing the golden goose of America, the middle class.

We have had enough of people from every country in the world looking to us to become their gravy train with the full consent of their own government who doesn't want to spend money on infrastructure, public welfare programs, or creating jobs for their own citizens, but would rather that some of their citizens be fabulously wealthy while the others can scratch for a living or better yet, not bother THEM for anything and suck off the teats of the USA for their sustenance.

Tell me how you would like it if where you live citizens of any country in the world could advertise themselves for YOUR jobs stating they had a guaranteed visa if they were chosen and employers did choose them instead of your citizens because they were cheaper? If you think that is fabulous, even though you are still stuck with full freight tax burdens, then that's just great for you. Since you are U.S. Virgin Islands, perhaps you do have the same thing. Is your employment market protected or is it just like the USA with visas galore -- L, J, H? Do you pay taxes to the USA OR are you like some other US possessions that don't have to pay taxes to the USA, yet get the bonus of all our social welfare programs at the expense of the real US taxpayer?

Those of us in the US are seeing our economy implode and we are not seeing other countries welcoming OUR citizens who need a job. Au contraire! Yes, I am fluent in French to the point I could live and WORK there (fat chance me getting a job there though), although you bringing this up is not keeping on topic, but just your attempt at a nasty dig. Contrary to your rude assumption, many Americans speak and write more than English. The only reason many citizens of other countries even learn English anyway is not for any type of snob appeal of being bilingual or because they are super-intelligent. It's because it gives them a better chance of sucking off the teats of the USA and other westernized English speaking nations. If not, why do so many bother with English then? Why not learn a different language if all are such sophisticates in other countries compared to the neanderthals in the USA?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-02-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Default We don't have to like being the open wallet for the world!

I am sick and tired of pipsqueaks from other countries trying to chastise me and fellow Americans because WE ARE TIRED OF BEING THE OPEN WALLETS WITH TARGETS ON OUR BACKS FOR OUR JOBS to serve the financial gain of individuals in the rest of the world!

The USA takes on more immigrants THAN ALL OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD COMBINED. The USA has more work visas for non-immigrants than any other country. We also have plenty of illegal aliens paying no taxes, putting their children on full welfare benefits as "citizens," and shipping our currency to their home countries by the basket load!

Why is it that so many other countries can have STRICTLY PROTECTIONIST policies about keeping their taxpayers employed and the pipsqueaks who feel quite free to criticize and put down Americans DON'T MAKE A PEEP AT THEM?

How about going on a messageboard and harassing French and Germans about the exclusionary employment policies in THEIR COUNTRIES that protect their taxpaying citizens? I bet those of you so quick to criticize Americans for being worried about their economy would never dare to.

I am tired of foreigners assuming that it is the USA's SWORN DUTY to provide a living for them too. We do a lot more than anyone else. Many of us are sick of the lax policies in our country that reward business and hurt the middle class working (and formerly working) taxpayers. NOBODY has a right to harass us because we don't like it. Go harass a citizen of a REAL EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMY for a change!

If people from all over the world keep insisting is is "THEIR RIGHT" to continue sucking us dry and not letting the American taxpayers earn a living so that THEY CAN KEEP PAYING THE TAXES THAT KEEP THIS VERY EXPENSIVE INFRASTRUCTURE AFLOAT, then which country's citizens is going to take over as the ONES WITH THE TARGET ON THEIR BACK AND THE WALLETS FORCED OPEN? Any takers out there? You think some country in the EU? How about China? India? Russia? Hello? Anyone out there? You're so quick to criticize Americans for the slightest hint of disapproval of all the world demanding to be sucking off our teats yet I bet the citizens of your pipsqueak countries would never allow your governments to force the tax money and jobs out of YOU that are routinely forced out of Americans. You would be burning things down and screaming and rioting in the streets!

Leave Americans alone. It is NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY to provide a living for everyone in the world AT OUR CITIZENS' EXPENSE. GROW YOUR OWN ECONOMIES. Stop letting the rich in your countries keep all the money for themselves while you live like peasants, all the while expecting the taxpayers of the USA to pick up the slack. Pay taxes for your own infrastructures. Create jobs and industries that provide for your own citizens instead of just being money makers for the elite of your countries.

And the next time anyone wants to post something taking an American to task because they don't like their jobs and wallets being the target of every money-hungry non-US person in the entire world, then please also post a link to a messageboard where you take citizens of TRULY EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMIES WITH EMPLOYMENT POLICIES THAT STRICTLY AND EXCLUSIVELY FAVOR THEIR OWN CITIZENS to task. If not, you're nothing but a cowardly hypocrite.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-02-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Of course you don't understand. Judging from your location, I don't expect you to. First of all, what the OP is asking for is perfectly legal, whether I like it or not. I just do not see many other countries that would be as generous to U.S. students looking to earn money while traveling to their country. Usually it is the other way around: other countries are looking to get money out of the traveler from the US.

The American taxpayer is taxed to the limit. Taxes are going up. Expenses are going up. Salaries are going down or people are getting let go and cannot find another job. The businesses in this country tend to forget WHO is paying the taxes around here to support the excellent infrastructure in the US that makes the smooth running of their businesses possible. Instead of hiring American taxpayers, they are busy in the race to the bottom when it comes to what wages they will pay. From hiring illegal aliens to offshore outsourcing, they are slowing killing the golden goose of America, the middle class.

We have had enough of people from every country in the world looking to us to become their gravy train with the full consent of their own government who doesn't want to spend money on infrastructure, public welfare programs, or creating jobs for their own citizens, but would rather that some of their citizens be fabulously wealthy while the others can scratch for a living or better yet, not bother THEM for anything and suck off the teats of the USA for their sustenance.

Tell me how you would like it if where you live citizens of any country in the world could advertise themselves for YOUR jobs stating they had a guaranteed visa if they were chosen and employers did choose them instead of your citizens because they were cheaper? If you think that is fabulous, even though you are still stuck with full freight tax burdens, then that's just great for you. Since you are U.S. Virgin Islands, perhaps you do have the same thing. Is your employment market protected or is it just like the USA with visas galore -- L, J, H? Do you pay taxes to the USA OR are you like some other US possessions that don't have to pay taxes to the USA, yet get the bonus of all our social welfare programs at the expense of the real US taxpayer?

Those of us in the US are seeing our economy implode and we are not seeing other countries welcoming OUR citizens who need a job. Au contraire! Yes, I am fluent in French to the point I could live and WORK there (fat chance me getting a job there though), although you bringing this up is not keeping on topic, but just your attempt at a nasty dig. Contrary to your rude assumption, many Americans speak and write more than English. The only reason many citizens of other countries even learn English anyway is not for any type of snob appeal of being bilingual or because they are super-intelligent. It's because it gives them a better chance of sucking off the teats of the USA and other westernized English speaking nations. If not, why do so many bother with English then? Why not learn a different language if all are such sophisticates in other countries compared to the neanderthals in the USA?
Thanks for the heads up apropos my "not understanding" the global aspect based on my geographical location. That's a real eye-opener.

Contrary to your all-encompassing comments there are many countries throughout the world which offer funded educational opportunities to world students (including Americans) so maybe you might just do some basic research where the world outside of the US is concerned before proffering such glittering generalities.

As far as your comment about the "gravy train" where immigrants are concerned, you surely must know that it is infinitely more difficult now than it was, say 40 years ago, for someone from outside the US to apply for citizenship status, green card status, working visas? The process has become even more difficult after 9/11 so your point is lost on me where that's concerned.

As far as your being fluent in French is concerned, that won't automatically get you a job in any French-speaking country unless you have a Euro passport. As an American citizen you will have to go through the same hoops and sponsorship details that any outsider (non US Citizen) has to go through to obtain a working visa in the US.

And you are SO wrong about the taxation process. Any foreigner who fulfills the visa obligations to work in the US has to comply with US tax laws and those deductions are automatically made as they are for any US citizen.

Your diatribe about the reason why foreigners learn to speak English is ludicrous at best. English has become the internationally recognized language in world forums with Spanish on the fast-track.

And yes, the USVI pays the same taxes and via the same format, forms and declarations that any other US mainland taxpayer is subjected to. The main difference is that the taxes stay within the territory to provide basic social services, roadworks, and a broad etc. I don't know what other US territories have in place so can't comment on that. I'm sure you could find that out by doing some basic research.

Again with all due respect, it appears to me that you're basically shooting from the hip on a basic rant. That's your opinion but, in my opinion, I think it might behoove you to properly research all that of which you've spoken about so eloquently. If I've missed any of your questions, feel free to re-address as it pertains to the OPs question and I'll do my best to respond. Cheers!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I am sick and tired of pipsqueaks from other countries trying to chastise me and fellow Americans because WE ARE TIRED OF BEING THE OPEN WALLETS WITH TARGETS ON OUR BACKS FOR OUR JOBS to serve the financial gain of individuals in the rest of the world!

The USA takes on more immigrants THAN ALL OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD COMBINED. The USA has more work visas for non-immigrants than any other country. We also have plenty of illegal aliens paying no taxes, putting their children on full welfare benefits as "citizens," and shipping our currency to their home countries by the basket load!

Why is it that so many other countries can have STRICTLY PROTECTIONIST policies about keeping their taxpayers employed and the pipsqueaks who feel quite free to criticize and put down Americans DON'T MAKE A PEEP AT THEM?

How about going on a messageboard and harassing French and Germans about the exclusionary employment policies in THEIR COUNTRIES that protect their taxpaying citizens? I bet those of you so quick to criticize Americans for being worried about their economy would never dare to.

I am tired of foreigners assuming that it is the USA's SWORN DUTY to provide a living for them too. We do a lot more than anyone else. Many of us are sick of the lax policies in our country that reward business and hurt the middle class working (and formerly working) taxpayers. NOBODY has a right to harass us because we don't like it. Go harass a citizen of a REAL EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMY for a change!

If people from all over the world keep insisting is is "THEIR RIGHT" to continue sucking us dry and not letting the American taxpayers earn a living so that THEY CAN KEEP PAYING THE TAXES THAT KEEP THIS VERY EXPENSIVE INFRASTRUCTURE AFLOAT, then which country's citizens is going to take over as the ONES WITH THE TARGET ON THEIR BACK AND THE WALLETS FORCED OPEN? Any takers out there? You think some country in the EU? How about China? India? Russia? Hello? Anyone out there? You're so quick to criticize Americans for the slightest hint of disapproval of all the world demanding to be sucking off our teats yet I bet the citizens of your pipsqueak countries would never allow your governments to force the tax money and jobs out of YOU that are routinely forced out of Americans. You would be burning things down and screaming and rioting in the streets!

Leave Americans alone. It is NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY to provide a living for everyone in the world AT OUR CITIZENS' EXPENSE. GROW YOUR OWN ECONOMIES. Stop letting the rich in your countries keep all the money for themselves while you live like peasants, all the while expecting the taxpayers of the USA to pick up the slack. Pay taxes for your own infrastructures. Create jobs and industries that provide for your own citizens instead of just being money makers for the elite of your countries.

And the next time anyone wants to post something taking an American to task because they don't like their jobs and wallets being the target of every money-hungry non-US person in the entire world, then please also post a link to a messageboard where you take citizens of TRULY EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMIES WITH EMPLOYMENT POLICIES THAT STRICTLY AND EXCLUSIVELY FAVOR THEIR OWN CITIZENS to task. If not, you're nothing but a cowardly hypocrite.
Wow! Posted my response to your diatribe and then pops up another from you in the meantime replete with caps and bold type.

Phew! Cheers!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Cheers to you too!

Quote:
Wow! Posted my response to your diatribe and then pops up another from you in the meantime replete with caps and bold type.

Phew! Cheers!
With "all due respect," consider this repost of part of that rant an invitation:

And the next time anyone wants to post something taking an American to task because they don't like their jobs and wallets being the target of every money-hungry non-US person in the entire world, then please also post a link to a messageboard where you take citizens of TRULY EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMIES WITH EMPLOYMENT POLICIES THAT STRICTLY AND EXCLUSIVELY FAVOR THEIR OWN CITIZENS to task.

"Cheers!"

Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
To the first poster- ignore the whinefest above. The rest of us sure will.

I'm an American student currently living abroad and trying to find employment in the States from abroad- so I know the pain of facing an almost assured unemployment when I return home, as most internships or jobs require a start in early to mid-May when my courses will not end until the 2nd week of June and I am also shooting blind based on online advertisements.

That said, I wish the first poster all the luck in the world. It's rough trying to find employment from abroad. Most jobs that are offered would not be easily found online- it's much easier to walk around town and pop into shops and such to see if they're hiring. That puts both of us at an extreme disadvantage. Also, at least in my area, you need a car to do anything which you will not have (and I currently do not have and might only have 2 days to find one before my first day of work or summer classes if I choose to go that route). Does the university that sponsors you offer any kind of help?

I will probably be seeking employment in the UK when I return here for grad school (and possibly getting a work holiday visa for the summer before) so I can empathize. There are Americans all over the world seeking employment for the summer or a year to get to know life outside of the States- something that is sorely needed. I have no problem with other uni students and young people doing the same legally in the US (even if it makes it a TEENY TINY bit harder for me to find a job!).

Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
With "all due respect," consider this repost of part of that rant an invitation:

And the next time anyone wants to post something taking an American to task because they don't like their jobs and wallets being the target of every money-hungry non-US person in the entire world, then please also post a link to a messageboard where you take citizens of TRULY EXCLUSIONARY ECONOMIES WITH EMPLOYMENT POLICIES THAT STRICTLY AND EXCLUSIVELY FAVOR THEIR OWN CITIZENS to task.

"Cheers!"
I rest my case and concur with charolastra00 who suggests that the OP ignore the whinefest. With all due respect, I_Love_LI_But, you didn't respond to my measured answers except with yet another rant.

I don't do such stuff myself but I think that Xanax works for some. Oops I may have got that wrong and maybe it's Prozac. I don't believe that either raises the intellectual level but understand that they both lower the angst level? Oh, forgive me, I'm just a blabbering idiot living in a US territory - my apologies! Cheers!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I rest my case and concur with charolastra00 who suggests that the OP ignore the whinefest. With all due respect, I_Love_LI_But, you didn't respond to my measured answers except with yet another rant.

I don't do such stuff myself but I think that Xanax works for some. Oops I may have got that wrong and maybe it's Prozac. I don't believe that either raises the intellectual level but understand that they both lower the angst level? Oh, forgive me, I'm just a blabbering idiot living in a US territory - my apologies! Cheers!
Your pal cholera00 is still a student and not yet in the real world trying to earn a real living. Hopefully they will report in with something of value then. I am sure the OP is not interested in "their support" either. The OP is interested in a job to earn money in the US and if cholera00 is not offering it, I am sure they could not care less. As for the OP, I certainly don't have anything against her personally. It is the system in the US that goes against its citizens, and the entitled attitude that "the USA owes everybody but it's okay for other countries to be protectionist" some people (not her; she never said anything like that) have.

If cholera00 has an easy time getting student work visas from other countries, then I AM GLAD. That is the best news I have heard in this thread. For once a US citizen gets a fraction of what those in other countries EXPECT AND THINK IS THEIR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO RECEIVE FROM THE US AND ITS TAXPAYERS!

Newsflash: My rant was posted before your "measured answers" so how can you call it a response?

Go harass citizens of countries with truly economically exclusionary workforces, courtesy of their government's rules, instead of the USA, and another whinefest will not be forthcoming.

Thank you for sharing your first-hand knowledge of psychological medications.

Please don't put yourself down. Being located in a US territory does not make you a blabbering idiot. However, it can cause you to have little empathy for those who actually have to pay to keep the US "empire" together and it can also cause you to have unrealistic expectations of the US taxpayers' responsibilities to the hangers on and to the rest of the world.

If you are so concerned with our "open door policy" then perhaps you should also concern yourself with countries that do not have one when it comes to handing employment to foreigners. You seem to have so much to say on the subject, it's a shame to just target the USA when you could considerably broaden your horizons and take to task citizens of countries that could really use your advice and need to hear your demands.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-02-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment