Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM

125 posts, read 394,520 times

Advertisements

I was looking at potential jobs and one was asking for salary requirements. I was wondering how do you put that on paper is it as simple as " I want x amount per year" or is it more formal?Also i'll be entry level do I factor in the cost of living as well? Because 35,000 in Ga is different than 35,000 in NYC.

--TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I just add a one-liner to the bottom if it's asked for... Salary Requirements: $xx,000/yr. Most of the time I don't even include it, even if it's asked for. It's never seemed to be a problem so far.

Tailor it to the position/city you're applying to. Don't just have a blanket requirement.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM

125 posts, read 394,520 times
Thank you,so I put it on the resume?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Avoid discussion of salary requirements before you have a face to face interview. If possible, put "negotiable." Here is a direct quote that I received from a hiring VP yesterday. I did not provide her with my salary history: "I assumed based on your experience that this would be a significant decrease in the salary that you have earned to date, which makes me hesitate to consider you for a full time position . . ."

Once again, overqualified rears it's ugly head.
But that's on another thread. I am scheduled for an interview however. If your salary requirements are higher than the position offers, you may not get a callback. If your requirements are lower than the position offers, you can undercut your negotiation position or simply not get a callback because you undervalued yourself. Catch-22

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Very very interesting JT.
I look at it like if your buying a car and the seller insists the buyer make an offer first but the buyer insists the seller suggests an asking price first. It's a game. The seller wants the buyer to go first in the hope that the buyers offer is higher then what the seller was thinking. The buyer hopes the seller suggests an asking price first in the hope that the sellers price is lower then the buyer was willing to offer.

I feel the best answer on a job app is "negotiable". If you write too high or too low a number that could disqualify you for consideration for that position. What is the chances you might write in the exact figure the company had in mind? Pretty slim.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,593 times
You could put "Salary Requirement" and then put a $ range on the bottom of your resume for those prospective employers who ask. Or you could include it in the cover letter.

If an employer specifically asks for salary range, they may not give you a second look if you don't include that info. Of course, they may not give you a second look if your requirements are way out of whack with what they're going to offer but why not give yourself the chance to be considered.

As a former HR manager, I found it very annoying to see "salary negotiable". Does that really mean that someone who's making $60K would really take a $30K job offer? You could put a range and say you're negotiable but don't say you're negotiable without a starting point.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
As a former HR manager, I found it very annoying to see "salary negotiable". Does that really mean that someone who's making $60K would really take a $30K job offer? You could put a range and say you're negotiable but don't say you're negotiable without a starting point.
No it means that job applicants are protecting themselves by playing the same "GAME" as employers as employers use the economic depression to their advantage.

It means job applicants dont want to get raped and are being cautious.

If I put my requirements at $50K and you were only willing to offer $40K then what would be your next move? You would never call me despite my awesome experience.

If I put $40K and you were originally prepared to offer $50K then what would be your next move? You would take my awesome experience and offer me the $40K I wrote down on my app. And I call that taking advantage of.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
As a former HR manager, I found it very annoying to see "salary negotiable". Does that really mean that someone who's making $60K would really take a $30K job offer?
They might. Particularly in today's market. There are probably many people collecting unemployment that would be happy just to get a job that pays more than unemployment.

The fact is that the hiring company KNOWS what they're willing to offer for the position. Why not simply post it or the grade range? If I had provide my salary history at their initial request, the conversation would have ended there. At this stage of my career, salary is not the most important consideration for me but the particular job I noted is a 40% cut in salary for me which pretty much falls below the line. But I'll always take the opportunity to speak with a sr. exec about a position. Who knows when a more appropriate position might become available?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM

43 posts, read 154,946 times
Default Do not put your salary history or requirements on your resume, ever.

Do not put your salary history or requirements on your resume, ever.

If you feel compelled to divulge this information because it is asked for on a job posting, do so in your cover letter or in a separate document. The answer as to whether or not to supply this information depends upon each individual situation as well as how it impacts your ability to negotiate pay.

Based on my experience if you are entry level you probably won't have that much negotiating leverage (because you are still in a position of needing to prove your worth). So it typically won't hurt to include your salary requirements in a cover letter. Just make sure that you price yourself within the going market rate for that role and level of responsibility.

Check out this link more information about the bigger question of when, how or whether to reveal your salary information and how that impacts your ability to negotiate salary. It also provides strategies to employ when you don't want to give it. http://www.job-seekers-edge.com/negotiate-salary.html

Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
They might. Particularly in today's market. There are probably many people collecting unemployment that would be happy just to get a job that pays more than unemployment.

The fact is that the hiring company KNOWS what they're willing to offer for the position. Why not simply post it or the grade range? If I had provide my salary history at their initial request, the conversation would have ended there. At this stage of my career, salary is not the most important consideration for me but the particular job I noted is a 40% cut in salary for me which pretty much falls below the line. But I'll always take the opportunity to speak with a sr. exec about a position. Who knows when a more appropriate position might become available?
BINGO !!!
Some one with a clue

How many of you applied for a job and they refused to tell you what the pay was till you drove across town and filled out their silly applications. Only then would they tell you some insulting wage that barely covers the federal minimum?

If employers would post the salary or at least a range then that would save EVERYONE a whole lot of trouble. Applicants would not bother applying if the salary was not what they wanted and employers would not have to read through as many apps nor talk to those that are just going to tell them to go pound sand after hearing the insulting offer.

But who ever said companies had half a brain? No one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment