Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 AM

23 posts, read 66,182 times

Advertisements

Isn't it interesting how we spend our whole career becoming qualified and program ourselves to showcase our experience and talents, only to have doors slammed in our face because we are overqualified?

To me, this is happening time and again over the last 11 months now. I have 10 years of experience in the financial services industry, I have strong references, excellent connections, but I can't find a job because I'm overqualified.

I think HR and hiring managers really need to give us a break. What's the point of even interviewing at a company if they are threatened by your qualifications? These are tough times. I've even tried other industries but they won't hire me because I have no suggestions. It sucks! Anyway, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
It's the lack of jobs, not your qualifications. People are taking ANYTHING they can get.

So now the companies can play games and dangle the job in front of many, many people who wouldn't have given it a second glance before the recession.

This is happening to millions of people, not just you. I don't know why you expect a break...get in line with the rest of us...many who have been out of work more than 10 months. I am not trying to be harsh. Just read all the threads from qualified people who can't get 'anything.'

Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 AM

23 posts, read 66,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's the lack of jobs, not your qualifications. People are taking ANYTHING they can get.

So now the companies can play games and dangle the job in front of many, many people who wouldn't have given it a second glance before the recession.

This is happening to millions of people, not just you. I don't know why you expect a break...get in line with the rest of us...many who have been out of work more than 10 months. I am not trying to be harsh. Just read all the threads from qualified people who can't get 'anything.'
Yes, it sucks! I've been out of work for 11 months now, and can't land a thing. I have actually thought of suicide.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
You should call the suicide hotline IMMEADIATELY. Please do not do it, its not worth it. Your family will not appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
You have to think about it from a business perspective as well though, unfortunately. Why would they hire someone overqualified and underpaid, train them, possibly give them health insurance, benefits etc. and then have them take off (often with zero notice) when the economy picks up? They would rather hire someone who is at the level of the position who might stay and/or grow with the company as they get more experience.

It really is a gamble hiring overqualified people.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You have to think about it from a business perspective as well though, unfortunately. Why would they hire someone overqualified and underpaid, train them, possibly give them health insurance, benefits etc. and then have them take off (often with zero notice) when the economy picks up? They would rather hire someone who is at the level of the position who might stay and/or grow with the company as they get more experience.

It really is a gamble hiring overqualified people.
I understand this school of thought and all but really, when is the economy supposed to pick up? I haven't read an article yet that paints an optimistic, bright future for any of us. All I hear is how jobs won't be coming back any time soon and how the long-term unemployed will remain here for years.

AND, if I were lucky enough to get a job offer, after losing a job, spending 9 months unemployed and 6 months in a contract position, still biting nails on when will I be hired, you better believe my ass will stay put for a LONG time. I have ZERO interest in being out here in this job market mess. I'd LOVE to not have to worry about finding a job for a long, loooooooong time!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Seriously, this job jumping/flat leaving/whatever applies to whom? Do all overqualified people RISK their careers by leaving their jobs every few months when they get a better offer?

I doubt it.

Most people settle into a job and stay there a few years. I have been 'overqualified' technically for EVERY JOB I have held because I have a Masters Degree but I stayed at them and did a damn good job.

At the job I hated the most in my life I stayed for 2 years and was the top Customer Service rep with awards and stats to prove it.

So, yeah, let's move on (not the OP but the business community) from this excuse of why educated people are not being hired.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I understand this school of thought and all but really, when is the economy supposed to pick up? I haven't read an article yet that paints an optimistic, bright future for any of us. All I hear is how jobs won't be coming back any time soon and how the long-term unemployed will remain here for years.

AND, if I were lucky enough to get a job offer, after losing a job, spending 9 months unemployed and 6 months in a contract position, still biting nails on when will I be hired, you better believe my ass will stay put for a LONG time. I have ZERO interest in being out here in this job market mess. I'd LOVE to not have to worry about finding a job for a long, loooooooong time!
Thank you Miss Crabcakes and Gypsy. I agree with both of you 100%. Overqualified is another overused excuse.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
My wife was in charge of filling her job as she was leaving. Every over qualified person's resume was deleted. They didn't want someone in there that could reinvent the business, they just wanted someone to do the job they posted.

If you are worried you are classified as over qualified dumb down your resume. Tailor it to the job, don't make generic resumes and blast them off.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,187 times
Hard to do that for many people, though...they'll ask "What have you been doing all this time?" when you have a lot of gaps for periods where you went to school or had a better job than the one you're applying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment