Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times

Advertisements

Not sure I have any advice on what TO do, but a comment on something definitely NOT to do. And that would be to talk to your boss about not feeling well. Believe me, if they think you're going to be any kind of liability soon, your career could be very much in danger.
How much vacation time per year do you get? When is the last time you took a real vacation? Can you take 2 or 3 days at a time if you schedule it way in advance and make sure everyone knows it's coming up? I used to own my own company so of course I never took more than 5 or 6 days off in a row in over 5 years however I did learn that 18 hour days 7 days a week were not good! I finally made myself schedule 2 and 3 day mini-vacations every 3 months or so. In between times, when you have your usual day off get the heck outta Dodge for the day and have a mental health break. Sit by a creek and count turtles! I used to just drive out to the desert (lived in Nevada), go off on some trail and then get off the trail with my camera and find tiny little things that were beautiful to photograph.
Be sure that you are getting good nutrition. Take 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day, go outside in the sunshine and walk around for a bit. Believe it or not, that can help your mood and your productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There have recently been a lot of changes/challenges at my work place. I am in management and it seems as though there are always blazes to be put out on a daily - make that hourly - basis.

As a result I have been working 70 - 80 hours per week. It's a good job, don't get me wrong and it supports our family (my dh is a stay at home hubby)), but the fatigue level is really beginning to get me down emotionally.

Usually, I get home around 6:30 - 7 pm and have dinner (dh cooks it). Almost immediately after dinner I take a bath and am rarely in bed later than 9 pm. Frankly, I am so exhausted that I couldn't stay up any later if I tried. Needless to say I have no life apart from work. During the past two or three months, I have managed one day off every week or two, but there was a period when I did not have any days off for about six weeks.

I am really tired. Bone tired. More tired than I would have ever thought possible to be. This morning on my way to work, I was listening to "Imagine" by John Lennon and I very nearly drove right off the road because I was just so spaced out. Lately, I have been thinking how nice it would be to have a terminal illness just so I could have an excuse to not go to work and stay home in bed.

Because I work so many hours, breaking it down, I am making just a little more than minimum wage. Even though, we need the income for bills and such, I really am beginning to think that this job totally is not worth it. I'd like to find another, but of course, I have no time to look for one, let alone make time for interviews, etc. Heck, I haven't even had time to wash my hair for four days now, so I wouldn't even dream of interviewing without at least looking a little more presentable. (Luckily, where I work, looks don't count. LOL).

Other than crying on your shoulder, I'm not sure what I am posting this for. Maybe just a little encouragement. Maybe some ideas how to get out of this. Please don't say...."Make your husband get a job" because he works very hard on our homestead and does many important things like building a garden, putting in fruit trees, taking the cars to get their oil changed, license plates, etc. Believe me he is invaluable to me, because without him everything would fall apart (not to mention, I'd probably starve to death or be forced ot live on a diet of McDonalds).

I am looking forward to maybe 1/2 day off tomorrow morning, but I am so exhausted, I will only be able to catch up on my sleep so that, hopefully, I won't kill myself driving to work. *sigh*

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

20yrsinBranson
I'd ask myself why I'm doing 80 hours for so long. A company will "let you" overwork yourself until you're wiped out.

I never heard of a job that requires you to be on call 24/7 and on site six days a week full time.

Is it Branson as in Missouri? If you company gross revenue is over 500,000 per year they are required to pay you 1.5 ot. each state is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment