Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 and i work at a banking job. I'll be brief. I got reassigned to a branch with my company after being a floating teller. Things started out good. Then enter one co-worker with attitude, she goes after me from the moment she gets there. This job has helped me realize that banking is not what i want to do as a career. I do not like customer service period and like the area i work in less and less. Now other co-workers are beginning to turn against me because of the manipulative nature of afforementioned co-worker. I'm caring less and less about my job and just going to collect a paycheck even though on paper i'm giving decent job performance. Admittedly i have to take some blame to this but i'm just trying to do a decent job and some things are getting in the way of that.

Now for some interesting facts about this:

- The co-worker who hates me is graduating from college in May and (hopefully) will be gone by then.
- I feel like i'm being resented because of my age, my mentality that stresses honesty, no pandering or favors, and accountability, and the fact that i'm trying to get an education.
- I'm moving to Louisville, Kentucky no later than April 2010 and possibly this July.
- I plan on going for a clerical job when i go to KY. I hope my banking experience helps me hook one.
- I'm a full-time college student halfway done with college.

If you were me would you just ride this situation out or try to get another job? You dont have to tell me this economy is rough, everyone in my best friend's house has been laid off recently. It is really worth the stress for 9 hours 3 1/2 days a week to just keep a part-time college job?

Last edited by The Dissenter; 04-04-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
Any chance you can transfer to another branch, or go back to being a floater?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM

283 posts, read 934,368 times
just do your best to hang on, save the money. always good to save , you can never have too much money. but like the other responder said, if you can transfer or be a floater, anything to make your job more pleasant so you can stick it out, that would be great. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
just do your best to hang on, save the money. always good to save , you can never have too much money. but like the other responder said, if you can transfer or be a floater, anything to make your job more pleasant so you can stick it out, that would be great. Good luck.
You are probably right. I'm not taking any chances with this economy plus i have expenses that require me a job. Transferring or floating aint an option.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Its a difficult situation - you could try to hang on- but its hard to work under those conditions - and it could end up that based upon the manipulation by this person you end up losing your job anyway. Lets hope that doesnt happen.

If you look - you may find something else, but depending on the position you may then get laid off - being the last person hired. This isnt always the case - but a probability.

If I were you I would look around and see what's out there. Perhaps you should consider finding something entry level in the field you are going to college for - that way - its both productive and a job - and you are getting some experience in your chosen area. If you get something then you can decide what to do - but it cant hurt to look.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
stay there, every hardship is teaching you another skill...it's your performance that matters and getting "along" is part of something you're judged on. and you dont' want the resume to be moving around or no job.

Every single job you take will have aholes there. it's character building LOL.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM

UPDATE:

Had a talk with my manager today. Apprarently, he is sick and tired of this co-worker's attitude too. I told him about a couple of exchanges i had with her. One where she called me gay and one where she cussed me out. The manager offered to report her to Human Resources. I said if she is truly leaving in May it aint really worth the time but if she stays beyond May or we have another tiff, i would give him the OK to pursue it. I may be making a poor choice by not talking to HR but I just want to run the clock out at this job without much hassle but that will change if she gets at me again.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
UPDATE:

Had a talk with my manager today. Apprarently, he is sick and tired of this co-worker's attitude too. I told him about a couple of exchanges i had with her. One where she called me gay and one where she cussed me out. The manager offered to report her to Human Resources. I said if she is truly leaving in May it aint really worth the time but if she stays beyond May or we have another tiff, i would give him the OK to pursue it. I may be making a poor choice by not talking to HR but I just want to run the clock out at this job without much hassle but that will change if she gets at me again.
NO....You are correct. If the manager really wanted to deal with her he would and not be punking out to HR. You did the right thing.

SEE? MOMs KNOW LOL.....like I just posted before...every one of these experiences teaches you things about the world, people, choices, risks etc.....

It worked out. Another ahole out of the way. Just keep smiling and ignore their nonsense and do a better job than they do.

I say this because I've gone the HR route once in my life and it got my hours cut from 40 to 4. These companies REALLY want local issues settled locally.

And even though calling someone gay is something to be written up for, well....you can ignore it this time and see if it actually becomes a sexual harassment issue IMO as a mom. LOL

They don't like sexual harassment complaints because the corporation has exposure then if there is a pattern and case to be made and you'll be LINKED to that whole drama at 20 just because of a dope? And if there's no pattern or case to be made it makes you look silly (and your manager a big wuss).... NAH...

Good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment