Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 33,269 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can give me a little guidance here.

On March 25th I interviewed with a company that I really want to get into. The interview went extremely well, I think, as the told me they have several positions that would like to put me into. I interviewed with one of the managers and he insisted that I meet with the general manager, which is a good sign. That went well too. When I left, the manager told me he would be in touch or also give him a call too, the following week.

1/2 hour after I left the interview, the HR manager callled me to get my previous bosses phone number, which I gave them and they call right away for a reference.

When I returned home, I sent a thank you letter to both the manager and GM.

One week after the interview, I called the manager I interviewed with and left him a message saying I was following up about the job. No return call. Two days later, I sent the email below and got the response below. I understand it has only been 9 days since interview, but if they are so interested and called my reference (my reference said they gave me glowing reviews) right away, what gives? What do I do now?

his response:
We’re getting ready for our sale both tomorrow and Thursday. Just busy for the next two days. Almost all personnel/vendor business etc., is done on Fridays and Mondays. Thanks

my follow up email:
I was just dropping you an email to follow up with you about the possible employment opportunity within ... I wanted to express my continued interest in working for you and your organization.

Soon after I left the interview on Wednesday, I was contacted by Mrs. ... to get my previous employers phone number so she could call for a reference. I believe she did make contact and I would hope this is a good sign? I made a follow up call to Mrs. ..., but never heard back. Also during the interview, Mr. ...wanted a copy of the letter of recommendation, which I sent and also wanted to make sure you received a copy of that as well, which I mailed to you on Thursday.

I understand sometimes these things take time, but I was hoping you could give me some feedback if I am a candidate for possible employment? I am currently interviewing with the Pepsi Cola Company (3rd interview) and believe they might be offering me a position. As I mentioned in our interview, I really want to work somewhere that is exciting, can offer me a challenge and something I enjoy/have an interest in. I believe that would be ... and not so much Pepsi. I will be interviewing this coming Friday in the Brea area and if you need to have a second interview with me, I would be available, just let me know.

Once again I appreciate your time and thanks again for your consideration,

Hope to hear from you

Last edited by Donbates; 04-06-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
It's time to back off and see what happens. I hope you have good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM

50 posts, read 173,123 times
"I believe she did make contact and I would hope this is a good sign?"

This really doesn't sound like something you should write in a follow-up email. It sounds kind of desperate and needy and employers don't like that.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times
Really nothing more that you can do. Quarter end was the end of March and that often stalls hiring. Could be worse, the VP I interviewed with a couple weeks ago and wanted to bring me on board, was laid off last week.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightKShrute View Post

This really doesn't sound like something you should write in a follow-up email. It sounds kind of desperate and needy and employers don't like that.
Agree with Dwight, don't push it, and, don't try to negotiate in an email. Your input of the info about the interview with Pepsi may be to you just a little "Hey, somebody else out there wants me too" type note, or it may be nothing at all, but today some employers have the the ability and the crop to pick from so they say, "Go for it!" Actually some are using that as the excuse of weeding you out of their screening process. You're telling them you have another job lined up, so they remove the guilt of not having to consider you anymore. In today's market and economy, don't give them an excuse to remove you from candidacy until you want them to. Any excuse, no matter how flimsy, shallow or weak, will be used when SOME HR people have to make the decision between several very highly qualified people.
What most candidates dont understand about the hiring process is, that its not about finding the right person first. Its about weeding out all the resumes that have mistakes, or didn't fill out the application the way they requested, or didn't put the salary range as required, etc. When they have done this, and this removes about 80 percent of the applicants, then they have the hard task of really reading and interviewing the remaining resumes and applicants. Whenever one doesn't meet the specs that were set forth in the job app, they weed it out, finally narrowing it down to a few worthy candidates, those they interview. Once again, its not so much about finding out whose right for the position, but who is wrong for the position, the main thing to remember about all this, don't make simple mistakes during resumes, applications, or interviews. Don't try to negotiate for the job, until you are in the negotiation stage.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightKShrute View Post

I didn't read it that way - I thought his email ended in the paragraph above and what you quoted was the OP talking to us??

Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 33,269 times
I appreciate the feedback on the response letter, and will learn from my mistakes, since I have already sent it.

I guess my question is do I follow up again? If so when? Since this is a sales position do you think they look for agreessive people that are persistant or is it like any other job during the interview process? Why would they call my references right away? Why would they have meet the main guy at the place if there was no interest? I understand getting hired doesn't happen over night, but what is the average response time?

Forgive me for my lame questions, just I have never found myself job hunting in the past 20 years of my career, so I am not that familiar with protocal.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I didn't read it that way - I thought his email ended in the paragraph above and what you quoted was the OP talking to us??
I agree. The OP did not quote the pepsi job in the response to the potential employer.

OP, I suggest that you just back off and let them make up their mind. I do wish you the VERY BEST of luck friend.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:47 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I agree. The OP did not quote the pepsi job in the response to the potential employer.

OP, I suggest that you just back off and let them make up their mind. I do wish you the VERY BEST of luck friend.
Quote:
my follow up email:
I was just dropping you an email to follow up with you about the possible employment opportunity within ... I wanted to express my continued interest in working for you and your organization.

Soon after I left the interview on Wednesday, I was contacted by Mrs. ... to get my previous employers phone number so she could call for a reference. I believe she did make contact and I would hope this is a good sign? I made a follow up call to Mrs. ..., but never heard back. Also during the interview, Mr. ...wanted a copy of the letter of recommendation, which I sent and also wanted to make sure you received a copy of that as well, which I mailed to you on Thursday.

I understand sometimes these things take time, but I was hoping you could give me some feedback if I am a candidate for possible employment? I am currently interviewing with the Pepsi Cola Company (3rd interview) and believe they might be offering me a position. As I mentioned in our interview, I really want to work somewhere that is exciting, can offer me a challenge and something I enjoy/have an interest in. I believe that would be ... and not so much Pepsi. I will be interviewing this coming Friday in the Brea area and if you need to have a second interview with me, I would be available, just let me know.

Hope to hear from you
I have to disagree: The above states, "my follow-up email,
and in it he states to the prospective employer, not the forum, ie, us, because he states, as I mentioned in our interview, also he states, I will be interviewing this coming Friday in the Brea area, and If you need to have a second interview with me. Just by those two or three statements its clear this is a direct copy of the email, minus maybe the quote of (3rd interview) with Pepsi, but this is what he sent out. Also since he closes it with, Hope to hear from you, then, he copied and pasted the whole thing.

The OP, can state for a fact if I'm incorrect in what I read, but I don't think that my logic and understanding in this matter are off point.

In response to the OP, no, at this point, do nothing, unless maybe after 3 or 4 more days, you could send a follow-up email, only checking to make sure that the person that was supposed to get the phone numbers for your references got them and they were able to get through, and that if they need any additional info do not hesitate to contact you. You can't be too pushy, and since you've let the Pepsi thing out, well, now you sort of have a Catch 22, if you act desperate, they know you didn't get offered that job and wonder why, what's wrong with you? So you have to string them along too, play it cool, just like dating, you want to make sure everything is ok, but you don't want to be considered a stalker, let them want you, as much as you think you need them.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbates View Post
Hope someone can give me a little guidance here.

On March 25th I interviewed with a company that I really want to get into. The interview went extremely well, I think, as the told me they have several positions that would like to put me into. I interviewed with one of the managers and he insisted that I meet with the general manager, which is a good sign. That went well too. When I left, the manager told me he would be in touch or also give him a call too, the following week.

1/2 hour after I left the interview, the HR manager callled me to get my previous bosses phone number, which I gave them and they call right away for a reference.

When I returned home, I sent a thank you letter to both the manager and GM.

One week after the interview, I called the manager I interviewed with and left him a message saying I was following up about the job. No return call. Two days later, I sent the email below and got the response below. I understand it has only been 9 days since interview, but if they are so interested and called my reference (my reference said they gave me glowing reviews) right away, what gives? What do I do now?

his response:
We’re getting ready for our sale both tomorrow and Thursday. Just busy for the next two days. Almost all personnel/vendor business etc., is done on Fridays and Mondays. Thanks

my follow up email:

Hope to hear from you

I don't think it was no point in calling 9 days after the interview because it's usually a sign you were not chosen for the job. They have your contact information which is why I never understood the following up with a phone call. Plus you had already sent a thank you letter so it was no need to contact the employer again by phone and email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment