Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,875 times

Advertisements

You say you're interested in psychology, from what I researched in the past, a Masters degree position in that doesn't pay anymore than a teacher, maybe even less. You said you weren't sure about nursing, have you looked into psych nursing or becoming a nurse practitioner (NP)? They also have a psych/mental health NP. After you get your RN/BSN you can even do the NP portition (obviously not clinicals) online. Many of the NP programs you can do while working as an RN as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
You say you're interested in psychology, from what I researched in the past, a Masters degree position in that doesn't pay anymore than a teacher, maybe even less. You said you weren't sure about nursing, have you looked into psych nursing or becoming a nurse practitioner (NP)? They also have a psych/mental health NP. After you get your RN/BSN you can even do the NP portition (obviously not clinicals) online. Many of the NP programs you can do while working as an RN as well.
Physician assistant is higher paid than nurse practitioner and I believe it takes 5 years of school.

So is pharmacist and in NY there are programs for PharmD (Dr. of Pharmacy) that take 6 years.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Physician assistant is higher paid than nurse practitioner and I believe it takes 5 years of school.

So is pharmacist and in NY there are programs for PharmD (Dr. of Pharmacy) that take 6 years.
I agree with Pharmacy, as the quickest. I don't know the demand in Fla tho. The other avenue to pursue, if you like law, is paralegal, get in with a law firm, advance, and as you grow, then maybe you can get the firm to work with you on the educational funding.
Its not all about money tho, you have to remember, yes, you have a special needs child, God gave him to you because he had special needs, and he knew you would be able to fulfill them, not because you would have to change to take care of them. His special needs may be he needs his Mom and Dad home more than he needs a bank account. (I'm not trying to be the Grim Reaper, but sometimes, they don't stay with us as long as the others) So, make sure that you take care of HIS special needs before you take care of Your special needs.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
[quote=airbucket;8260961]I am a trying to figure out what to DO at this time in my life and this time in my family's life and this time in the economy....people here always seem to have valuable things to say so i am posting my hopefully coherent quandry here.

me: 35 yr old mom of a 9 yr old special needs child, i have a bachelors from a swanky college, have my temporary teaching certif. in FL, and have one year of teaching in special ed. under my belt (didnt love it but its a job), but an overall unimpressive resume, because of the years spent caring for my son, not many impressive or long lasting positions on ,my resume - only real strength is college i attended.

Well, all i can say is that one of my sisters has a masters in education and is a certified special eduction teacher AND loves it!! She had NO problem finding a job in Philadelphia,,There are plenty for this field!! So, you appear not to be taking advantage of your blessings in my opinion. So, what are you waiting for.

My only concern is that you say you don't love teaching Sp.Ed. If so, that is scary. Since i would imagine that the job requires a high level of committment!

good luck

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM

47 posts, read 304,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
I think that in your current situation it will be hard for two of you to go to school together. I think you should choose who will go to school now (you or your husband). I would do law probably if you obviously like the field. Yes, it will take at least 3 years of your life, but if you study hard and go to a good school, the starting salary is really high for first year associate. Then, another will go to school..It it easy to say than to do, but well this is only one thought...At least you can earn decent money...
excellent point. wasnt thinking about taking turns with the schooling. thank you

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

47 posts, read 304,475 times
thank you all for taking the time to reply to me! good points in all your posts. it would be nice ot find some kind of career counselor type service/person to help me figure this out in light of the recession and our family's situation with my son. i wonder if a traditional career counselor would be qualified? thanks everyone!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Well, perhaps an example will help: Sister is special education teacher, loves her job, works in phila, and lives in new jersey, has a child. married to head hunter, who is self-employed, own home, with pool, and hefty savings. Sisters longterm income is 40 to 65, if she continues with certificate. She has masters degree; had her pick of schools and employment. Husband, has bachelors in english and went into business with a few guys, then quit, then went into the recruiting pharmaceutical business. They are happy and are comfortable money wise, despite the recession. Husband worked while she went to school. She is now in her 4 month as a Sp. Ed. Teacher and loves it most of the time.

So, take from the above, what you will.

good luck

p.s. Bottom line is that the best way to make money (and risk it) is to go into business for yourself. If you or your husband are good carpenters, then buy a fixer upper, turn into a bar and become self-employed. Restaurants are out, they definitely lose money.

or go onto the Bureau of labor statistics and pick a field that has high pay and job growth. Based on my review, management is a safe bet. There are other fail safe fields. Move to a city where they have strong special ed. programs. Live close to the resources. Go to school in the evening for two years. A one year masters is popular but holds very little weight with government jobs.

Again, no easy answers and everything costs sacrifice and money!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-13-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment