Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM

152 posts, read 627,365 times

Advertisements

Recently I went to a party and met a woman who was a "Package Designer" for a major cosmetics boutique. This person's job was to develop, design and facilitate construction of product packages (e.g. perfume bottles, lotion tubes, lipstick tubes as well as the boxes and 'safety' wrapping (e.g. bubble wrap, corrugated cardboard, thin tissue paper) that went around the product).

When I asked what kind of training she had for the job I was told that her degree was in philosophy but that she had worked in the company for about 3 years when the position opened up and was given a chance. She now flies around the world looking for the perfect glass bottle, spray nozzle, etc. for the products for which she designs packaging.

I guess I always knew somebody had to do it, but never thought of it as a Career!! Its incredible what she does.

Last edited by precisio; 04-22-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I know a woman who is a textiles designer for one of the large theme parks in the Orlando area.

I know a couple of people who are winemakers.

I know a guy who is a professional dulcimer player. He's got to be one of the happiest people I've ever met. He loves what he does.

I know a guy who is a household manager for a very famous professional athlete. He oversees the other household staff, plans parties and events, manages any and all repairs and mantainence work and upgrades on the home, etc. He works 60+ hours most weeks, but get paid very well for what he does and really enjoys his work. He's been with this athlete and the athlete's family running their home for about 10 years now.

I know a guy who is an artist for one of the big comic book houses. He's going to school at night for computer animation, because he's not sure how long print comic books will be around for at this point.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
How about a Diesel & Petroleum Distribution Engineer?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
I get a kick out of the lady who set up what she thought was a practice website selling tumbleweeds and discovered there is actually money to be made doing this!

Baby name consultant. Read an article that said parents pay these folks to come up with a personalized list of possible baby names.

I really like the idea for this thread. Am always interested in creative jobs/ the road less travelled.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM

152 posts, read 627,365 times
Annerk, I had to google dulcimer (YouTube - "Mermaid" Medieval Hammered Dulcimer Music by Dizzi) to see what that was. How cool!

Diesel & Petroleum Distribution Engineer, I can guess a little of what this person might do, but Danameless, do you have any details?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisio View Post
Diesel & Petroleum Distribution Engineer, I can guess a little of what this person might do, but Danameless, do you have any details?
I think it was a joke, ie gas station pumper.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
Just thought of one I would really have wanted to do. Before blogs, I read online about a couple who travelled around in their RV and supported themselves by writing a newsletter about their travels/adventures. They apparently had a large number of subscribers.

I always wanted to have Charles Kuralt's job.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Bed hold Coordinator This person makes sure there are beds in hospitals for patients who are being admitted from ER, directs admits from Drs offices and admits from other hospitals. Keep in mind that admissions and discharges are going on almost all the time. Then there are the people who are supposed to be discharged, but aren't, and the ones who are suposed to be transferred, but aren't. I didn't do the job, but I can imagine it can get pretty hairy in a major hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment