Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times

Advertisements

I suck in my job big time! And this is just depressing me now really bad. I am in sales admin. I capture data, process invoices, buyer, process supplier documents for payment, quote clients, process orders, arrange logistics for goods. The phone never stops, and I never ever ever finish something without an interruption or some breakdown. I have been doing this for seven years now. And what pressure! Everything is urgent. No one wants to wait. And this week I made major screw ups that have costed the company lots of money. I placed wrong orders with a branch, infact the order was not wrong but the code I used did not specified colour needed. And then I forgot a break down order for a manufacturing plant. And airfreights were missed. I just want to cry. Why does God hate me so much? Any way I am bad on my job, things are good for a couple of months and then pretty soon go catastrophically bad thanks to me. I think they have kept me there because of a few minor strong points, but honestly I suck. I wish I knew what I should do. I would love to leave, but then what would I do. What can I do? Is it possible to go and leave as a hermit in this day and age? Some one please help, it sucks to be this kind of a losser, I need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Ask GOD to make you smart? Why not give it a try?

Maybe being 98% right is ok,... as people make mistakes...

Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
You sound overwhelmed. I'm not sure that punishment from God is behind it, and it sounds like your issue is bigger than your job. Sometimes a stint in counseling can help you reframe how you view things.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I suck in my job big time! And this is just depressing me now really bad. I am in sales admin. I capture data, process invoices, buyer, process supplier documents for payment, quote clients, process orders, arrange logistics for goods. The phone never stops, and I never ever ever finish something without an interruption or some breakdown. I have been doing this for seven years now. And what pressure! Everything is urgent. No one wants to wait. And this week I made major screw ups that have costed the company lots of money. I placed wrong orders with a branch, infact the order was not wrong but the code I used did not specified colour needed. And then I forgot a break down order for a manufacturing plant. And airfreights were missed. I just want to cry. Why does God hate me so much? Any way I am bad on my job, things are good for a couple of months and then pretty soon go catastrophically bad thanks to me. I think they have kept me there because of a few minor strong points, but honestly I suck. I wish I knew what I should do. I would love to leave, but then what would I do. What can I do? Is it possible to go and leave as a hermit in this day and age? Some one please help, it sucks to be this kind of a losser, I need help.
The way the economy is now going I do not suggest you QUIT without having something else lined up. My first suggestion to you is update your resume, cover letter and references. Then start looking for another job.

I myself HATED my job with a PASSION. I was EXTREMELY MISERABLE. I cried all the time until one day I decided to updated my resume, create a cover letter and 2yrs later got another job.

Hating what you do GETS YOU DEPRESSED AND MAKES YOUR LIFE MISERABLE but YOU AND ONLY YOU have that power to CHANGE THAT!!!!
Don't let a JOB of all things in this world get you DOWN and feel like a LOSER. Get up and have faith in yourself that you will REFUSE to be UNHAPPY and that you WILL GET ANOTHER JOB ELSEWHERE where you can feel comfortable and want to go to work every day.

Good Luck to you, let us know what happens

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Tim, if you have been reprimanded, or at least the problem has been corrected, then let it go. You know what the problem was, what caused it, how it happened, so, let it go. If your company is willing to overlook it, then why can't you? We all make mistakes, take a breather, step back and remember, it's only a job, you are putting too much pressure on yourself, and causing yourself to make mistakes. Because you have doing this job for 7 years you have become lax and take it for granted, the problem is with your desire to do it and your concern. Remember to say, please, hold on, I can get to you next, I am handling this, now, you, and then you, be courteous, and deal with things in their order, develop patience techniques and these things will begin to fall into place like they used to. Slow down, it's only money and paper, not life and death. Remember that, and it will all fall into perspective, whether this order gets out in ten minutes or 30, isnt going to mean someone lives or dies, remember to stop and drink a glass of water every once and a while, chill out, and say, I am ok, got it under control.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Please take sinsativ's advice. However, if you hate your job and cannot see yourself in it for the long haul, go to your local community college and take the Myers-Briggs test or some other test that can steer you in the right direction. Then, talk to a career counselor and make another plan for yourself. Maybe taking some college courses toward another career goal will put things in perspective. The pressure will be off of you because you will have another career soon. It also seems like you are experiencing some depression, possibly because you are overwhelmed at work. Talk to a counselor about that. There is low income counseling (don't use an employer counselor) if you can't afford it. Sometimes just having a support person can help tremendously. No one should be in a job where the pressure is so overwhelming. I wish you much luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM

200 posts, read 600,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Tim, if you have been reprimanded, or at least the problem has been corrected, then let it go. You know what the problem was, what caused it, how it happened, so, let it go. If your company is willing to overlook it, then why can't you? We all make mistakes, take a breather, step back and remember, it's only a job, you are putting too much pressure on yourself, and causing yourself to make mistakes. Because you have doing this job for 7 years you have become lax and take it for granted, the problem is with your desire to do it and your concern. Remember to say, please, hold on, I can get to you next, I am handling this, now, you, and then you, be courteous, and deal with things in their order, develop patience techniques and these things will begin to fall into place like they used to. Slow down, it's only money and paper, not life and death. Remember that, and it will all fall into perspective, whether this order gets out in ten minutes or 30, isnt going to mean someone lives or dies, remember to stop and drink a glass of water every once and a while, chill out, and say, I am ok, got it under control.
I absolutely agree. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I also worked in a high stress position, where everything was last minute, the people giving me the work had NO idea how long anything took to complete so they would expect every that second. Even when I gave them time estimates all the time.... just take your time, slow down, do what you can do, at your own pace. Make sure you take a break, and your lunch. Get out of the building. In the meantime, if the company is that bad, and the reason for your screwups is their processes are that flawed - either try and have some input into how to change them to make them more effective. OR start getting a resume together and look for a new position. DO not quit your job in this economy without having a job first though!!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I also worked with phones ringing constantly and lots of money on the line and plenty of opportunities to screw up and on top of it my manager was so dramatical. I would go home late with headaches and even homework to finish. Just find another job. I rather make less money and be happy than dread every morning and loose hair. I'm telling u, there are other jobs that can use your skills.. 7 years is decent. U don't suck, u are human, it takes very special people to actually enjoy that kind of work and the better u do, the more the company will expect from u. Horrible bs.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
First of all YOU don't suck at doing your job. If you have been there for 7 years, you're overwhelmed. Visit your supervisor and request an P/T assistant. Just before you go in prepare a well thought out explanation of why you need one. Don't bring up errors made. Just do not rant. The job is what sucks. Take a Xanax and deal with it. Go home each day and forget about it. Start each anew and open minded (yea I don't believe that one either). What I did learn through the years is too stop smoking, stop drinking coffee and cut out the alcohol. None of it helped. I've taken Xanax now for three years (one a day is enough) and just deal with it a whole lot better. I have a load of stress to deal with also. Plus I am required (and paid for it) to take phone calls 24/7/365 to resolve issues (like the one that came from India at 2am). 98% could be handled by opening the online manual and following the instructions listed. But no, they want someone to talk to and walk them through it. I don't deal with the public. I'm the tech support for the tech support that my company outsourced 57 of 60 jobs to India (yes I'm 1 of 3 still here). Plus we are still here bacause we can translate bad english into good english. The company they hired is not retail related. So they have never gone to american english school. They are techies who speak and type british english badly. Sorry I ranted a little. But as my last note, if you a mp3 player use it. If you have a car at work - go to it, sit in it and blast the radio with your favorite music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment