Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:35 PM

39 posts, read 160,220 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm from NYC and want to relocate to the DC area as soon as possible (shooting for next month). I've been applying to an insane amount of gov't jobs these past few months (and working with a recruiter for pvt sector jobs) and am waiting to hear responses from quite a few positions. I would be satisfied with most of the jobs i've applied for but the 2 that i care most gave a 30-45 day time frame. From what i'm gathering, ppl often have to wait months before they hear from hiring officials.

I guess my questions are:

When postings say they expect to make a decision with 30 or 45 days of the closing of the announcement, how accurate is this description?

and

Has anyone applied for a position with this kind of deadline and actually heard from hiring officials within this time?

I'm worried about gov't knocking after I hear from the private sector. Anyone else in a similar situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 AM

83 posts, read 483,961 times
I have only applied for internship using USJob, and I might have applied for a few full time using that site.

No one really contacted me to reject me. I just assume that they are not interested. Have you check the 'status' in your account? Some of my application status do get updated.

I did get an internship from the other gov site (although I know all gove jobs are on USJob website.

If you like private sector job, then don't worry about gov job knocking on your door. If you want to work for the gov, you just need to have patience. It will take a long time (in general).

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,128 times
Half the jobs you post for you won't hear anything from. The other half you may get a letter in the mail thanking you for applying. Generally speaking there are hundreds of people applying for these jobs and if you get a call for an interview, consider yourself lucky. After that, it can still take several months to get on. So, I would take whatever offers you get in the meantime. Don't hold your breath for the jobs on usajobs but rather be pleasantly surprised if you do hear from them. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM

83 posts, read 483,961 times
Interestingly enough, I just got an email this morning on an internship I applied back in March.... they are just starting to review! The closing date is on 6/30, so I guess I am not gonna hear anything back for a long time.

There is a contact information with a name on each job that you applied on the website. If you really want to work for the gov, maybe just contact the person by phone to see.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM

519 posts, read 688,495 times
A few things.

First, check out FederalSoup.com - A place to share, debate and discuss. - it's a great online forum that can answer just about any question about federal jobs, hiring, etc. that you can come up with.

Second, don't hold your breath. Many factors go into the speed of the hiring process, but in general, it comes down to the sheer number of applications, the computerized resume keyword screener that is used to whittle down the number of qualified applicants, and the time it will take HR to screen those resumes for a Top 3 (I believe its 3) candidates to refer the hiring official for an interview. However, there generally is an urgency to get the positions filled, as you would expect, so sometimes this can take place faster than normal.

My experience with the federal job I currently have, the job was posted for 2 weeks, I was called to set up an interview one week after the job closing date. A week later I went to the interview, and two weeks later I was offered the position. All in all, my experience was a little over a month from application to job offer, so expediency does happen.

If you are looking to move to DC with or without a job, then you really have nothing to worry about. Patience is key, and eventually you'll get the federal job you're looking for. However, if you are moving to DC with the expectation that you will have a federal job within a certain time-period, i'd be cautious with that approach, as you may be gambling.

Check out the website above...I think you will find it very useful.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 PM

199 posts, read 902,399 times
Yes, it can take months. If you applied for competitive service jobs it will take longer because they have to rank all the applicants and the most highly qualified get referred. Then the hiring official will decide who to interview. Some agencies won't send you any notification until after the final selections have been made. If you applied online you may get status notifications telling you whether you were referred to the hiring official. If you were referred and you don't get a call for an interview within a reasonable period of time, it is safe to assume that you are no longer being considered.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
My experience was like Johnny Fury!

The job advertising periold ended, I then was emailed a request to come in for an interview. I took the train to D.C. from Phila. Took off the day from work. I spent about an hour an half italking with them. They then decided to hire an internal applicant.

So, from the time the advertising period ended to the interview was about a week. She said it would take a month for the background investigation.

So, if you are offered the job, I would say about a month to two months would be it. Which is Fine when you have to move and find an apartment. She also said they would give me another month to find a place to live and move, if I need it and I was chosen.

My advice which I have given before when this question was asked, is to accept any grade to get in and then negotiate a grade change within 3 months.

The problem with the federal jobs, is that at 7th, 8th and 9th Grades, they want you to already have a year to 2 years ACTUAL knowledge of the job!! Rather than generalized knowledge.

And the problem with this, is that the pay range is much lower than what I was making in the Private Sector. I would be willing to sacrifice 8 to 9000 dollars for one year, if I felt sure I would reach my normal pay within one year or LESS!!

It is like going backwards, but I guess worth it, if you really want to work for the government!

Cheers!!

p.s. Not all government departments are not very organized, so you will have to email them for their decision, since they won't send you letters or emails on their own. Well, at least that was my experience. They actually still had the job posted 6 months after they had filled it!! ;-(

Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times
Honestly with USAJOBS you may not hear anything if ever for several months. I actually got contacted after I'd forgotten all about the job I'd applied for (about 6 months at least). Naturally I played it off and acted as tho I still remembered and went to the interview (got the job). Point being it may be awhile (if ever).

Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 55,002 times
Depending on what kind of government job you are applying for it will most likely take awhile. I can answer for VA jobs. It took about 7 weeks before I got the job offer. Generally you will here right away if you do not qualify. If you don't, then no news is good news! I agree that you just need to keep applying and take an offer. You can always move around later. Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
It can take forever. Each agency posts and moves at it's own pace. Also, if the hiring is for multiple positions, it may also depend on when you applied and were rated in determing if and when the agency will interview you for the position.

A number of years ago I applied for a position and didn't hear back. Months later, after I had given up on it, I got a call for an interview and a week later was offered the position.

In the gov't things can move slow. Real slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment