Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 39,053 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had an interview for a company that I really want to work for, and my teacher at school is actually the one who does the hiring. It is a receptionist position, but this company I applied for is related to my future career... My chances have been high because I have contacts at the company, but I feel that I did not really say all that I wanted to say so I wrote a thank you letter.

Two people interviewed me and I only had the name of one of the people. I wrote one thank you letter and dropped it off today. The other person, who's name I didn't know, took the letter. I thanked her personally right there for the interview very briefly and handed her the letter, while the person who's name I did know and wrote the letter for was on the phone beside her. They looked very busy so this all took place in as little as 5 seconds. Is it rude that I had only one letter? Could I have possibly messed things up more? I am really worried now... And regretting taking a letter at all. Thing is they seem pretty easy going, and know that I am a student and hopefully the one who didn't receive a letter won't take it personally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
So you dropped off the letter with the person whose name you forgot for the person whose name you remembered and they both interviewed you? Yikes. Should have mailed.....you can always blame the USPS. Depending on how they see it....yeah you may have screwed yourself. But my fingers are crossed for you.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

They're both quite young themselves and I am not sure if they will really even think much of it... But I am hoping that no offense will be taken

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Hopefully they won't think anything of it but personally....if I was the one being "snubbed" I would think that it shows a lack of attention to detail and forethought and I would need that in my receptionist. Just my opinion though.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiKiKi View Post
They're both quite young themselves and I am not sure if they will really even think much of it... But I am hoping that no offense will be taken
You could always call the woman who's name you know and ask her for the name and contact info of the other interviewer. This may be bad advice, but if I were concerned that's what I'd do. I'd tell her how nervous I was, how excited about the prospect of gaining the position, and that I forgot to get her contact information. Next time, don't forget to ask for business cards.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM

378 posts, read 772,176 times
I don't see anything terrible here. You did thank that other lady in person. Most likely, the deciding factor will be the credentials and your fit in their organisation. I'm pretty certain they will not base their decision on who received a thank you letter and who didn't. It would seem too petty.

If you feel strongly about sending a second letter, than find out the other person's name and just do it. Good Luck!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Ok.. Thanks all for the advice... I hope I did not come off as rude or anything by having only one letter. I was hoping also that thanking the other person in person might've been good enough but I guess not. I will just assume this isn't going to work out and move on. Oh and I forgot to mention this is only a part-time position... I would only be there a couple days a week.. So hopefully they won't read into things TOO much.

Last edited by NikkiKiKi; 06-04-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
I don't see anything terrible here. You did thank that other lady in person. Most likely, the deciding factor will be the credentials and your fit in their organisation. I'm pretty certain they will not base their decision on who received a thank you letter and who didn't. It would seem too petty.

If you feel strongly about sending a second letter, than find out the other person's name and just do it. Good Luck!!
I think she'll be alright too. For a job like this what is important is that they remember you, that somehow you stuck out from the rest of the crowd.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Dear Jane,

I would like to thank you for the job interview. I hope that I will be hired to work for your company. I am sure I would be a benefit to your company.

I have forgotten the name of the other person that also interviewed me, would you also thank them for me.

Thank you,
NikkiKiKi

^^^^^

Some thing like that...

Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I think she'll be alright too. For a job like this what is important is that they remember you, that somehow you stuck out from the rest of the crowd.
Agreed. And especially because she is young and this is an entry level type of position, she's probably the only one who sent a thank you note anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment