Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,345,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
me too. polite and pleasant conversation should not be interpreted as acceptance.
I have been invited to visit their homes. That is acceptance. But, I don't look for acceptance. I simply like the human connections that take place during the conversation. People are interesting and we all can learn a lot from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
you go dopo, you are doing the right thing, and are looking out for your kids in the future! Being bilingual means there's more opportunity than the other lazy asses that have heads thicker than cement!, but obviously hollow inside ,
I wonder why anytime I ask them if they speak a Native American language, all of a sudden they disappear.

I bet everybody in "The South" learned how to speak Cherokee.
1830s Trail of Tears

Old 06-21-2009, 01:42 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Yea, this is AMERICA, and ENGLISH is OUR language. I'm offended if you can't take the time to learn our language, and also frown upon any job requiring you to be bilingual. Learn to speak and write our language or go back to where all of YOUR heritage is.
English is not America's language. Get over it. Why should I avoid speaking any language I choose simply because you're offended by it? I speak, read and write English and Spanish fluently, and will speak either one I choose. There is no law in the country that says I can't. Also, why are you offended if a job requires that someone be bilingual? If that business has dealings with people who speak a particular language, what do you propose? That they force their clients/customers to learn English? How stupid is that? As far as I can see, I would have more opportunities because I can/do speak a second language.

As far as heritage goes, my heritage has been here since long before this was part of the U.S. The border crossed us, we didn't all cross the border.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM

266 posts, read 707,037 times
Our founding documents, every piece of legislation, every law is written in English. The founding fathers had this debate, ol Ben wanted German, but English prevailed. We speak English in this country, sorry.

And as far as the native American argument, if they had defeated the wave of settlers from Europe we would be speaking their language. Right or wrong or what ever you spin on history is, the usa is here now, it’s the current culture we are talking about.

A few posts back someone wrote, your racism is showing. I was waiting for this comment, it always is used any time we have a debate on language or immigration. This is a sad thing to me, because usually the people who cry racism are the true racists. My views on both those subjects have NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE, I really wish you could get that in your head.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,508,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I wonder why anytime I ask them if they speak a Native American language, all of a sudden they disappear.

I bet everybody in "The South" learned how to speak Cherokee.
1830s Trail of Tears

we gotta love these out of town'ers though, hell I congratulate the OP for not bashing the drivers.... Yet

didnt this particular OP was complaining about Mexican restaurant's personnel speaking Espanol?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM

266 posts, read 707,037 times
[quote=As far as heritage goes, my heritage has been here since long before this was part of the U.S. The border crossed us, we didn't all cross the border.[/QUOTE]

this is one the statements i hear a lot and find offensive, it sounds like you would rather Texas still be in Mexico. all these things boil down to one thing. are you an American or not, do you love this country or not, if push comes to shove can the usa count on you to defend her?

no one has a problem with people celebrating their heritage, we just have questions whether or not you are loyal to this country or your old one. that’s it. Think about the Arab people after 911. if I were an Arab that wore the traditional dress, I would have a turban made in red white and blue, and I would have put an “I love America” sticker on my car. I would have at every opportunity condemn the attack and the nut jobs radical Islamism. There isn’t anyone in the usa who would have looked at you funny, and they probably would have thanked you and shook your hand. I never saw this happen did you? Makes you wonder..

I drive around the south side all I see is Mexican flags, the made in Mexico stickers everyplace, I hear people talking if the usa and Mexico would go to war who would you fight for. It makes me wonder. And I am given crap and called a raciest for it?

the whole "the border crossed us" thing is really ridiculous. how far back do you want to go? you speak Spanish because Spain sent people over her to explore. so why don’t you speak one of the native languages? i mean the boarder crossed those people too huh?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,297,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post

I drive around the south side all I see is Mexican flags, the made in Mexico stickers everyplace, I hear people talking if the usa and Mexico would go to war who would you fight for. It makes me wonder. And I am given crap and called a raciest for it?
I'm calling BS on that one. You might DRIVE around the southside but I LIVE on the southside and I have YET to see Mexico stickers and flags "all over the place." I have never heard anyone talking about USA and Mexico going to war and whose side they are taking. Don't be ridiculous.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I'm calling BS on that one. You might DRIVE around the southside but I LIVE on the southside and I have YET to see Mexico stickers and flags "all over the place." I have never heard anyone talking about USA and Mexico going to war and whose side they are taking. Don't be ridiculous.
Word, every time I hear that makes me wonder the stupidity of some people, there's mexicans all around san antonio, Nobody lives divided, I see lots of white folks in the south side, one things for sure Southside>Eastside

Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
Quote:
the whole "the border crossed us" thing is really ridiculous. how far back do you want to go? you speak Spanish because Spain sent people over her to explore. so why don’t you speak one of the native languages? i mean the boarder crossed those people too huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
This is the problem with San Antonio. It's fragmented. There are people who "drive around the southside (westside, eastside, northside, etc)" and then there are people who live in specific areas. You may see those flags and stickers on one block, but to be honest the people that live in the southside, like perticusrex (or those that have taken the time to understand the area) know that these flags and stickers may all part of a groups of homes that are owned by one family (who built them around the 1920s-1930s ...so in reality, it's kind of like a family compound). Drive down a bit and you'll find houses you'll see a young professional family who has moved back to the southside from the northside to be closer to their ailing parents, or students who live there because it's closer to the action, etc. Mexican Flags, "Viva la revolucion, and mexican stickers are not the norm. I'm sorry.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
this is one the statements i hear a lot and find offensive, it sounds like you would rather Texas still be in Mexico. all these things boil down to one thing. are you an American or not, do you love this country or not, if push comes to shove can the usa count on you to defend her?

no one has a problem with people celebrating their heritage, we just have questions whether or not you are loyal to this country or your old one. that’s it. Think about the Arab people after 911. if I were an Arab that wore the traditional dress, I would have a turban made in red white and blue, and I would have put an “I love America” sticker on my car. I would have at every opportunity condemn the attack and the nut jobs radical Islamism. There isn’t anyone in the usa who would have looked at you funny, and they probably would have thanked you and shook your hand. I never saw this happen did you? Makes you wonder..

So youre saying that youre a hard core american, we get it, but why are you so thick headed to disregard the first amendment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment