Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times

Advertisements

Just what is the deal with headhunters?

My husband posted his resume on all the major boards, Monster, Dice, etc. Seems he gets at least one call per day from a headhunter, who always has a great job possibility, excellent salary, benefits, etc

Talks his ear off, then wants a copy of his resume (hey, he got one already) then tweaks on it a little so its "his" thensubmits it to the hiring company. Or at least that's their claim, we don't truly know what they do with the "modified" version of the resume, but 90% of the time it never goes beyond that, never hear anything from the hiring company itself.

We usually don't even know who the hiring company is, until some point further along. Then he can't approach them directly because the headhunter owns him. Usually its all hype, talk the job up, get his resume, then never hear from them again. If he contacts them, its a terse answer, to the effect of "we will let you know" or that company is currently under a hiring freeze---funny, they instituted a hiring freeze right after contacting us Whatever, the headhunter never follows through, just lets it hang there..........

So, I'm wondering WTH is their game, anyways? I thought headhunters only get paid if and when they place someone, so what's the advantage to just fishing for resumes if they have no intention of following through?

And yes, before anyone starts giving me job search advice, both my husband and I are currently looking for work and pursue many routes, posting resumes on job boards is just one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... bet I will hear from TV guy!Yes, we know, you got your job from networking, and I agree, it is the best route, we're both on the trail of networking for jobs!

Hey, TV guy, you know, you could make a great recruiter!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... bet I will hear from TV guy!Yes, we know, you got your job from networking, and I agree, it is the best route, we're both on the trail of networking for jobs!

Oh please, don't give him any ideas.

Have to agree with you that networking is the way to go these days. And you never know who might just know somebody, so networking means EVERYBODY, not just former coworkers. My neighbors kid just got a p/t retail job because the neighbor mentioned to her cleaning lady that her kid was looking for work. Turns out the cleaning ladies sister is the training manager at a local big box. The cleaning lady mentioned it to her sister, her sister said to have the kid come in to fill out an application and specifically ask for her, the kid got the job.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Oh please, don't give him any ideas.

Have to agree with you that networking is the way to go these days. And you never know who might just know somebody, so networking means EVERYBODY, not just former coworkers. My neighbors kid just got a p/t retail job because the neighbor mentioned to her cleaning lady that her kid was looking for work. Turns out the cleaning ladies sister is the training manager at a local big box. The cleaning lady mentioned it to her sister, her sister said to have the kid come in to fill out an application and specifically ask for her, the kid got the job.

Oh, he's kinda fun to have around!

I know of many convoluted stories like your's. A friend of mine got a degree in food service mgmt, her mother's hairdresser's client was the food service supervisor for a local school, got her in the door, today she's district food service supervisor---and she can have it, no way would I work food service, at any level! But that's another story of networking!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Every headhunter that I have worked with always lets me know the name of the company they are going to submit my resume to, the maximum amount they are willing to pay for the position, the location of the company. Some even go as far as answering my questions on work-life balance.

I have been given notice that my job, as well as that of 29 others in the company, will be eliminated by the end of the year. I am concerned, but I've started the process 5 months in advance. By that I mean sending out resumes now, networking, etc as well as cutting down our expenses starting now. The company has provided outsourcing help, including access to a database of unpublished positions. However, this service is only good for 30 days so I will use this closer to the end of my employment. Networking is important...who would have thought that our martial arts instructor has a good friend who works in HR in one of the largest banks in my area? It is not something I would have thought was possible, but unless you announce out there your situation, you never know who would come forward and offer to help. This is not the time to be shy or ashamed of being laid off so the sooner the news goes out and the wider the net is cast, the chances of an opportunity surfacing only increases.

I posted for an opportunity in the website of a former employer last week. The following day I got a call from HR. My resume will be presented to the hiring manager. Of course, the hiring manager may not think I'm the best candidate, but it was encouraging to receive feedback so quickly. Again, for those about to be laid off, make sure you leave in good terms. This is an example of this.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 AM

34 posts, read 115,996 times
I have used headhunters as well but I would never let them represent me unless they let me know which company they are submitting me to, this way I can keep track of the companies that have my resume and also ensure that I am not submitted to the same company by another recruiter.

There are also some headhunters who are just fishing for resumes, they do not have any open positions but they want to collect resumes to add to their database or to share with their network, and if you get hired then they'll get a fee. Some of them are honest and would let you know upfront that they do not have a job but would like to have a copy of resume so they could seek out opportunities that match your resume. Headhunters can be very helpful, but you have to spot the ones who will only waste your time.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post

I didm't get my current job from networking but I want to start getting jobs that way from this point on. I did not know one single person in this company but managed to impress in the interview.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I didm't get my current job from networking but I want to start getting jobs that way from this point on. I did not know one single person in this company but managed to impress in the interview.
So you don't think this current job is going to last too long?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you don't think this current job is going to last too long?
I'm not saying that, I'm saying I want to develop a strong relationship with my current supervisor and with other colleagues in my line of work so if I was to be in a situation like I was in January I would be able to get a job from a inside referral.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Let go for performance issues? When someone gets canned because they didn't do a good job, their previous supervisor is the last person they want to put down for a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment