Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

I have really been struggling finding a suitable job/career which I could do with my skill set. I've worked at the same place for 8 years, but the actual material we deal with has a narrow focus, that I cannot really see being useful elsewhere. However, I suspect at least some of the skills would be.

I'd really like to narrow down my focus on some particular jobs or fields which I may be suited for, but will readily admit that I am essentially lost in a sea of job titles and fields.

So I was hoping some of you folks might be able to give me an idea if it sounds like I have some skills that would work well somewhere.

Here is what I do, with associated skills: Essentially, I am an adjudicator, who reviews an analyzes a variety of sources of information to make adjudicative decisions to pay education benefits. I do a lot of work researching federal regulations, analyzing a number of pieces of evidence, requesting more information if needed, and coming to decisions based on that evidence and the regulations. I also do a lot of technical and non techical writing. A lot of this is correspondence with clients and to other stakeholders. I have also written a lot of training material, operating procedures, etc and conducted formal training classes. I was promoted a few years back, and gained responsibility to review work completed by lower level employees and authorize or deny it for the purpose of making payments, training and mentoring them, conducting official reviews of their work used for retention purposes, assign work, and fill in as an acting supervisor when our supervisor is off (actual authority is limited).

I can confidently say that I have rather strong skills in writing, researching, and analyzing information. Some of it is based in numbers, when making comparisons and calculations of payments and entitlement figures, others is in simply the facts and data involved. I am confident in my oratory skills, including speaking to groups.

I have been a hard worker, and have been able to fairly easily beat the quality and quantity of work produced by nearly all of my peers, and I have been leaned on by management because I have gained a greater understanding and expertise than most of the staff. I am confident in my ability to learn, absorb, and apply any new information or concepts.

I do have a BA degree in History, which is not helpful for things requiring more technical training (accounting, engineering, things of that nature).

My problem is I just am having a mental block in seeing good careers outside of my current job where I would be a strong candidate based on my skill and experience. I also understand another field would require a learning curve and some training. I just am having trouble identifying things that would be worth applying for, since I feel unsure that my skills, beyond the basics, would be seen as valuable for certain positions.

So, any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Grant writing and review sounds right up your alley.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,856,056 times
Logistics.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Library techician.
Seriously...there's a wide variety of jobs in many fields that would suit your skill set.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Some good suggestions, and I am starting to research these things to get a better handle on them. I have done the most so far with grant writing. Although it appears that there are some employment opportunities, I get the feeling that the best avenue there is to really get some experience, then go free lance with it.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Policy analyst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment