Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
A disputed quote that may or may not have sprung from 18th-century lectures by Alexander Fraser Tyler seems nonetheless prescient:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship."

Maybe civilization as we know it won't end in a bang... but an embattled, overworked whimper.
NOTHING can last as a permanent form of government. Every single government in history has ultimately fallen or been replaced. Quite frequently, by something better.

Eventually the US will cease to exist. I doubt it will do so because of statements that may have been fabricated in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,878 times
Just to throw some gas on this fire...

I have a friend who's been unemployed for close to a year now. What he gets in unemployment isn't much, $300/wk, but since he's been laid off he's made over 200K trading stocks. I'm thinking he ain't going back to work anytime soon. LOL!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I tried to be extremely accurate.

Me: *name of business*
Him: Yeah.. yall doing any hiring?
Me: Nah, man. We're not but I would be happy to review your application.
Him: So.. that's a no?
Me: Yeah..*awkward silence*
Him: I'm trying to get contact numbers.. So that's great stu..
Me: *interrupts* For unemployment?
Him: Yeah, what is your name? I need it for my checks, I have to have these contact numbers you see for...
Me: I'm not letting you use my company as a contact number since you didn't even attempt to get a job. Have a great day.
*hang up*

I'm so tired of people trying to abuse the system to continue getting these checks. This is the FIFTH time this has happened this month but this guy sounded outright happy when I didn't have work.

Do you think if you said, "Yes, we have job positions that need to be filled" the person would NOT have applied? If that were the case, I would see your point of view, but probably the person would have come down, so then it is really not abusing the system to use your company as a place they contacted and asked for work.

Probably what he should have done when you said, "I'd be happy to review your application" was get the information from you on how to put in an application and do it even though there were no jobs available ... then it would have been an indisputable job search contact for his UI records.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you think if you said, "Yes, we have job positions that need to be filled" the person would NOT have applied? If that were the case, I would see your point of view, but probably the person would have come down, so then it is really not abusing the system to use your company as a place they contacted and asked for work.

Probably what he should have done when you said, "I'd be happy to review your application" was get the information from you on how to put in an application and do it even though there were no jobs available ... then it would have been an indisputable job search contact for his UI records.
I really don't think he had the skill sets needed to work for me. I mean, this isn't a fast food/chain store. I do get these calls because people seem sure that I have few, if any positions. I really doubt he'd had come down to my office.

I do agree he could had seized on the opportunity when I asked to review his application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment