Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

Because of my background in marketing and presenting information to government clients, I've been contacted by each of the major insurance agencies (Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance Group, AFLAC) for sales positions.

These are commission based positions, but they provide you with training, assistance in getting your license, set you up in their district office, and provide some manner of assistance in starting you up with a client base.

Do any of you think there is any potential in this market? Have you been contacted by any of these agencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
The people that I know who have been the most successful with this have had a very broad range of contacts within various businesses and an address book with thousands of names in it.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 AM

349 posts, read 887,810 times
Default I agree with Annerk, to a point

you will be at a huge disadvantage if you don't have a lot of connections to make sales, but since you do have a marketing/sales background...maybe. Licensing is not too tough, I was in the industry just never did the license, but friends have passed it, some not-too-smart ones as well.

I do know that it is a soft market right now, so it'll be a rough start and you'll be working a lot until the economy picks up.

If you have the sales savvy, and you think you can sell their products ~ really get to know the products ~ I would go and do it and build your book of business. It'll take time, but maybe by the time the economy picks up, you'll really have an impressive book

Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
I am nervous about this too. i have an interview with Mutual of Omaha tommorow. I hope they provide some kinda guaranteed salary

Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 68,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
I am nervous about this too. i have an interview with Mutual of Omaha tommorow. I hope they provide some kinda guaranteed salary

Generally the only "guaranteed" salary is a training salary- and not every company even offers this. From my research, companies offer $500-$800/week during their training period and then after that, you go straight commissions.

Before getting my current job, I considered doing insurance sales (even had an offer and a start date with a company) but considering the economy is in the dumps, people are only spending money on the necessities and unfortunately, for a lot of families, health/life insurance is not on the top of that necessities list so making sales right now would be hard.

As mentioned earlier, if you have a lot of contacts that can give you referrals, go for it. You can build a nice book of business for yourself that way. But, if you don't really know that many people, I would think twice about a career in insurance sales (especially right now).

Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My husband works for an insurance company and each year they reward the top sales people with a trip. He was invited to speak at their awards ceremony and I got to tag along. There were 5 being recognized as "Million Dollar Agents" and 3 of them had been in the business only a couple of years. One didn't even have prior sales or marketing experience, she had been a claims adjuster!

I'm not sure what the secret is, but if you know it you can be extremely successful!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's an incredible risk, but the rewards can be very good. The problem is that very very few people get those top earner positions, many are just sort of average or drop out. The insurance companies invest very little in getting people up and running, so they usually take the upfront money from the people...add a little training and beginning income (some don't even give you that beginning income anymore) and release you to the world. They don't care that much, they earn more having people pay the upfront money, and the more that do it the better for them.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Synopsis, everyone needs insurance for something. We pay for it and have whether we want to or not! Insurance and taxes are a given.

My cousin ,an uncle and an aunt have been State Farm agents for many years-many!!! They do very well as agents; not sure what the difference is that you were offered. My BIG issue with how SF treats them is the way they oversee every aspect but still consider them independent contracors. THAT would bug me-a lot.

Maybe for now-just try it?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I think it depends on your sales ability and interpersonal skills. I don't think any of this can be taught in a classroom. I have a marketing/management degree and couldn't sell my way out of a paper bag, and don't work in a field that has anything to do with sales or marketing. My father, on the other hand, has no degree, has a successful sales career and could sell a ketchup popsicle to a lady in white gloves. Sales all comes down to personality and people skills. If you have that, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment