Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get. I was laid off 3 1/2 years ago and decided not to go back to work. I can live off my savings (not really a good idea) until I can start collecting my pension and social security. But I have had enough of retirement and am considering going back to school for a masters degree in either oceanography or meteorology. I'm also considering other, more modest ideas but for now I'll just ask about these two fields.

Here's the thing. I am 55 years old and by the time I got a masters degree I would be in my early 60's. Does anyone think a 60 something year old man could successfully begin a career in a scientific field?

I did ask this question of a meteorologist on another website and he said go for it. So are there any other informed opinions on this forum? I'd really like to hear them. I do not want to spend the time and money on school only to find out that no one is going to hire an old man wanna be scientist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I'd ask you, are you passionate about these subjects? Because going to school as a 60 something is going to require a lot of focus, a lot of passion for the subjects, and staying power.

As far as getting a job, well, I can't predict this. What research have you done about job prospects with a MS in these fields?

I do know my ex-neighbor had a PHD in geology (She did something to do with finding petroleum in rocks) and made good money. She had the type of job that paid her to relocate (here and back to her native state).

So, maybe you need to research prospects with higher degrees in the science field.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,979 times
Why early 60s? Do you need to get a Bachelor's degree? You can usually do a Master's degree in 3 semesters if you go full time.

What is your previous work experience and degree in (if you have one)? Can that feed into your interests?

Most meteorology work is for the government and I don't think there's much demand except for people with super-specialized skills in mathematical modeling.

Oceanography, generically, has more potential because there are rich people and some institutions off doing all kinds of crazy work in the middle of nowhere - however, they typically don't pay much. If you're in good enough health to spend time at seas in rough conditions for long periods of time you might find something like that. If you've relevant independent knowledge in this area acquired through a hobby you don't necessarily need a degree; you just need to show that you've got some skill or ability that adds value to whatever is being done.

Age is a barrier but don't get too caught up on it. The key thing is: can you be competitive in offering some ability that other people are willing to pay you for?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
It would be hard for anyone in their 60s to get an entry level job in any field.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
It would be hard for anyone in their 60s to get an entry level job in any field.
I agree. Even the govt might be hesistant to hire.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
i dont know if you want to teach, but schools are DESPERATE for science teachers everywhere it seems. you probably could even get loan forgiveness in a lot of districts.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd ask you, are you passionate about these subjects? Because going to school as a 60 something is going to require a lot of focus, a lot of passion for the subjects, and staying power.

As far as getting a job, well, I can't predict this. What research have you done about job prospects with a MS in these fields?

I do know my ex-neighbor had a PHD in geology (She did something to do with finding petroleum in rocks) and made good money. She had the type of job that paid her to relocate (here and back to her native state).

So, maybe you need to research prospects with higher degrees in the science field.
Sorry for not replying sooner. As far as I can tell, I'm not really passionate about anything. I do have an interest in these fields but I'm not sure how far that interest extends. And yeah, staying power could be a problem too. As far as research goes, I know that in oceanography there is a lot of competition for jobs, which I believe would be a disadvantage for for an older person. Meteorology is a much smaller field and probably less competition in absolute terms but relative to the existing jobs the competition is going to be pretty great. I've also read recently of at least one older meteorologist who was fired without any real explanation but he thinks it's age related. And he wasn't a tv broadcaster.

Actually, I do think this idea of mine is a bit unrealistic and not worth the risk in time and money that school would involve. I'm going to scale back my ambitions. Thanks to the people who expressed their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment