Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It seams like working at a call center is the worst job on earth and you will most likely get fired for something. I mean, does anybody stay beyond 1 year? What call Centers have you guys worked for that were that bad?
I don't think we can name company names on the boards.

I don't know anyone who stays over a couple of years.

It isn't the worst job on earth but it could be made better if:
the Customer Service Reps were treated as though they were appreciated.
Employees were Not monitored like they were idiots or children
The companies hired CSR managers who weren't brown nosing,nazi acting,butt kissing spies who think they are so much better than a menial CSR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
Call center jobs do suck....I've done many of them and after awhile of working @ one you get drained and are eventually worn out....that's been my personal experience....Speaking of which I'm beginning to hate my current job...I need a new career.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
If you work for a place with a small staff but receiving A LOT of calls you will be complained at simply because the customer waited too long.

After awhile, your fellow reps will be jaded and avoid the phone so the calls keep piling up.

At one job I could see the queue (how many calls were waiting) and it was so high some times, my blood pressure would just spike. Meanwhile you see "Mary" going to the bathroom (again), the Supervisor and her pets going out for smoke breaks, and "Max" chatting in the hall with the manager, so you know those calls are just going up.

*One bad call can ruin your whole day. And if you get that person at 4:45 pm, you can be sure that they will still be running their mouth at 5...

I quit a call center job when I was 5 month pregnant. I told my husband the stress is going to kill me or this baby.

I advise you find out the company's policy if customers curse you out. I told my manager I am not putting up with it. I gave customers one warning then hung up on them.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
You're in a double-bind, process the call, can't hang up, keep your talk time down, and someone calls in who can't speak English and I'm supposed to care about his feelings? Come on---this is my job!

I have learned with the no-speak English crowd to simply say "im sorry you're having such difficulty understanding me. Is there someone there who can assist you?" Usually they don't understand that, but its my out. then I say I suggest you call back when you have someone to assist you, thank, you for calling ABC company...........that always works with the supervisors, the whole idea is maximize revenues for time spent. They don't give a rat's bheind if you're "nice" to the customer as long as you stay politically correct, don't say anything illegal, and control the call. If you're ten minutes into a call and still not past the caller's first name it is time to shut it down. Just because you can't hang up doesn't mean you can't shut it down. I've documented for the recorded line I've done my best to process a call that's going nowhere, and that covers me.

The absolute worse are those who can't speak English and want to control the call, hey, my husband and I both lost our 100K+ jobs with corp America due to outsourcing or H-1b visa holders, I was forced into that crappy job to avoid foreclosure on our home, then I lost that job due to a "visitor to our country" who screwed me out of yet another job. I can just see us going to India, China, Phillipines and demanding their jobs!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Default Update on my assesment test

Today I had my assessment test at Regions Bank HQ . Before the test started I sat down with 4 more people that were also there to do the test. They were dressed up! I sat there in my slacks, a fitted T shirt and a black vest, AND FLIP FLOPS! I was under the impression that this was only the testing part and that they would call you for an interview if they were interested. Well, I am now told that if you pass test they will interview your right away. Damn, I have a really nice "interview suit" at home hanging in my closet for things such as INTERVIEWS!
Lesson learned.
Well, I pass the hour long test and was about ready to get interviewed but an error had occurred on regions part. My application was not showing in their computer system. So the lady apologizes and asked me to please go home and wait for her to call me later in the day. They have to figure out why my application was not on file. So I am home now and waiting for them to call me back for the actually interview.
It seamed pretty easy. It is like being a bank teller but over the phone. The facility was really nice and very big. They had a restaurant and a what looked like a little coffee shop. Located in a nice are of town and located right next to a lake.
I am hopeful. I'm crossing my fingers.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Quote:
Today I had my assessment test at Regions Bank HQ . Before the test started I sat down with 4 more people that were also there to do the test. They were dressed up! I sat there in my slacks, a fitted T shirt and a black vest, AND FLIP FLOPS! I was under the impression that this was only the testing part and that they would call you for an interview if they were interested. Well, I am now told that if you pass test they will interview your right away. Damn, I have a really nice "interview suit" at home hanging in my closet for things such as INTERVIEWS!
Lesson learned.
Well, I pass the hour long test and was about ready to get interviewed but an error had occurred on regions part. My application was not showing in their computer system. So the lady apologizes and asked me to please go home and wait for her to call me later in the day. They have to figure out why my application was not on file. So I am home now and waiting for them to call me back for the actually interview.
It seamed pretty easy. It is like being a bank teller but over the phone. The facility was really nice and very big. They had a restaurant and a what looked like a little coffee shop. Located in a nice are of town and located right next to a lake.
I am hopeful. I'm crossing my fingers.

I hope before you go back you change into something more professional. Always treat every aspect of a job hunt as an interview, you never know who you will be talking to, and everyone counts, receptionists, front
--office people, all have input. BTW, flip flops are for the beach, NOT a job interview situation!

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I hope before you go back you change into something more professional. Always treat every aspect of a job hunt as an interview, you never know who you will be talking to, and everyone counts, receptionists, front
--office people, all have input. BTW, flip flops are for the beach, NOT a job interview situation!

Good luck!
I know that. Like I said, "Lesson learned", Thanks you for looking out for me.
I will put my best suit on tomorrow!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Lesson learned.

You've hit a hot button with me...that people these days wear the most inappropriate clothing, no matter what the event! Your basic outfit sounded okay (you weren't in ripped jeans or a tube top, believe me I've heard of such stories ), but why would you ever think that FLIP FLOPS were appropriate at a BANK??????? Banks are still among the few businesses where employees are expected to dress conservatively...and even if you didn't think you were having an interview, you were still going inside the bank as a prospective employee. It is _always better to err on the side of conservatism when dressing for these occasions. You can always "dress down" the next time once you've cased out the company culture on that issue.

I do hope it works out for you if it seemed like a good job. Now spread the "lesson learned" to your friends who are still job-seeking . End of rant...

I admit that seeing flip-flops EVERYWHERE is going to make me go postal one of these days....

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
At one job I could see the queue (how many calls were waiting) and it was so high some times, my blood pressure would just spike. Meanwhile you see "Mary" going to the bathroom (again), the Supervisor and her pets going out for smoke breaks, and "Max" chatting in the hall with the manager, so you know those calls are just going up.

Okay, I fibbed in my previous post...I have another rant...

It is about the employees who take all those "smoke breaks". I know they HAVE to leave the premises because of the laws today, but the actual effect is that they get to do less work. I saw it in a previous office...they had to wait about 5 minutes for the elevator down, then took 10-15 minutes to smoke, another 5 minutes for the elevator up...almost half an hour away from the desk. This was not a call center but the phone still rang and that meant non-smoking employees had to pick up the slack. Of course, the smokers still left at 5 p.m. with everyone else; they never made up the "lost" time. I suspect if a boss had ever had the nerve to tell them to stay a half-hour later they would have filed some type of grievance. I don't know but I'd guess smoking addiction could be shown to be a protected "disability."

End of second rant.

I have found this thread to be very informative though...sometimes I think about looking into a call-center job (yes, QVC would be great but I don't live in any of their call-center areas. I'd be perfect; I've been a customer for years!) But what I've read here would really give me pause. The person who is happy in the CC job...can you at least give us an idea of the type of field it is (if you don't want to name the company?)

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
You've hit a hot button with me...that people these days wear the most inappropriate clothing, no matter what the event! Your basic outfit sounded okay (you weren't in ripped jeans or a tube top, believe me I've heard of such stories ), but why would you ever think that FLIP FLOPS were appropriate at a BANK??????? Banks are still among the few businesses where employees are expected to dress conservatively...and even if you didn't think you were having an interview, you were still going inside the bank as a prospective employee. It is _always better to err on the side of conservatism when dressing for these occasions. You can always "dress down" the next time once you've cased out the company culture on that issue.

I do hope it works out for you if it seemed like a good job. Now spread the "lesson learned" to your friends who are still job-seeking . End of rant...

I admit that seeing flip-flops EVERYWHERE is going to make me go postal one of these days....
Thanks, I appreciate that. I hope it works out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment