Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Is it a good idea to use more than one temp agency at the same time? I tend to think that it's not. The way I look at it is that if you get an assignment from temp agency 1 and then temp agency 2 calls you with an assignment, you can't take it because you already have an assignment. Now your assignment with temp agency 1 ends and doesn't have another assignment for you right away, but now temp agency 2 won't be to eager to give you any more assignments because of the one that you turned down.

But then again, maybe if you told each agency that you also are working with another agency they both might be okay with that. Opinions please. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
It may good to do just that, since most of the temp agencies out there don't have enough work for all the people signing up with them.

A lot of them use "bait and switch" type of scams to get you to come in and sign up for a job they had advertised on a job website somewhere, and when you come in - the job is no longer available and you end up wasting your time taking hours of tests and such for nothing.

Just a heads up...

Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Or they say this job is paying $15/hour, then it's $12 and by the time they sign you up it's $10...

Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I registered with as many agencies as I could...but it turned out to be worthless. They have bogus jobs on their web sites...you call and it's always been filled and they tell me to "come in again" and I ask what for, I've already been in and taken test....well we need to update...I tell them nothing has changed...sigh.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,312 times
I definitely recommend that you work with more than one agency....especially right now.

Yes, there are some agencies that do some shady things - but not all. The agency that I work for, we can actually get in trouble for some of the tactics that others use.

Don't judge all by the bad apples!

One of the things that I have seen work in the past (I did this when I was looking for work). If you go to agency A and they make you take all the tests - ask for copies of your results. Then take them to Agency B to show them that you just took the test and what your scores are. Most agencies will honor test results that are fresh.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
I've only worked with one temp agency and that was about 25 years ago or so, taking light industrial labor assignments. They always treated me well and got me assignments on a fairly regular basis. My last assignment turned into a 20 year job with a company that I was sure I would be with for the rest of my working life. But I got caught in a mass layoff when the company relocated and restructured. I had started off as a janitor and then they trained me as a mainframe computer operator. So now I feel comfortable about going back to the same temp agency. Hopefully they are still treating their people well. I'll find out I guess.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
You would be doing yourself a disservice NOT to sign up with multiple agencies.

No agency will hold it against you if you couldn't take an assignment because you were working for a different agency at the time.

Get to know the people who do the temp staffing at the agencies and if you don't hear from them, check in with them at least once a week with your availability and skill set so they can put you on the "currently available" list.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Agree, sign up with all of them--and when they ask who else you have signed up with, tell them none or your application will be discarded.

And I'd check in more than once a week, call daily and politely make a nudge of yoruself. With temp agencies, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
I guess you could just apply for one job and hope that that is the one that hires you also.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 46,361 times
Well im not sure about working for two temp agencies but i think it's a good idea. I was signed up with one in may of this year, but after they kept giving me the run around i got fead up n volunatarly quite. They told me that i can come back whenever i want, i said ok and went to sign up for another agency. Each agency has there goods and bads. Im currently working for Hire point staffing agency located on 3rd avenue 147th street, bronx, ny. And they are very polite and understanding. Also depending what assignment they send you on, depends how much you get paid, so i heard. I dont know if this is true because i get paid $8 an hr and on the application it says that that's what they pay you. They only offer full time jobs. The other agency that i was working at before was Active Staffing agency also in the bronx located on Jerome avenue bronx, ny. They start you off at $7.25 an hr n if you stay with them for three months you get paied $8 an hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment