Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

It's almost a scam. Most are not homeless. And they do bring in some pretty good cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Scam or not who's to tell. What I do know is I am a sucker lol We often see them and if I have the resources I will give them food but never money. Sometimes from my own home or if I have purchased a lunch, they get that. Did see one dude w/a dog and we gave him some dog food and water for the pup. You just never know if it's true or not and sometimes a little can make such a difference. On the flip side, if he's a ******* what's $3-4 worth of soup and bottled water anyway? I blow that on candy at the movies.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It's almost a scam. Most are not homeless. And they do bring in some pretty good cash.
Yeah, I saw a news report a while back, and some of these people, (not all, of course), are really raking in the dough. They interviewed some of them, and they flat-out said that they make a better living, panhandling, than they do having a regular job!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM

111 posts, read 263,386 times
Default Well...

I suppose their signs should say, "Will work for food, but not really."

Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Isn't this the way it goes for a lot of things, it only takes a handful to ruin it for others. Just don't have as much honesty out there, as we did years ago. My humble opinion only.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Maybe the point of them having a sign saying "will work for food" is that they think NO one would actually want them to do work for them, but they might part with a little cash. On the other hand, if there was a dude out on my street saying he'd work for food, I would bring him in, make him a feast and have him finish all the jobs my 'significant other' has started and abandoned!!! Win win situation!

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 05-03-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: trying to be nice

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
We have a lot of panhandlers in our area. There are times in the summer that you will have every corner in an intersection with them. I have seen someone away from the road pointing to the other person to what car to go to. There is one guy that is a regular and one time I was in another town over 20 minutes away and there he was panhandling there too. For someone who is homeless he sure gets around.

One of the news programs did a special on them and one guy was living in a high rise luxury building paying over $3,000 rent with a door man and he paid for it buy panhandling.

I am sorry, but I do not give my money to them. Let alone it would cost a fortune because I would have to pay everytime I go out. Besides, everywhere you go there are "help wanted" signs up. I just think it says a lot about a person that is so-called living on the streets but they always seem to have a marker handy to make their sign .

Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,937,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I was passing a man who was begging for cash the other day. He had a sign that said "Desperate, I will work for food" I decided to strike up a conversation with him and asked him how he could get in tough spot when the economy in the area is booming and they are begging for people who will do grunt work.

He was incredibly well spoken and interesting. I told him I would hire him for an office assistant position at my company but first he had to clean him self up. I told him I would pay for him to get a haircut and a shave and pay him handsomely for a full days work. I said here is a Barber Shop lets go and get that haircut. He said no.

Here the man had a chance to be a real life business man and make alot of money. His gravy train had arrived. I was going to help him out, he just needed a short business like Haircut and a shave.

I saw him a week later with the same sign and I asked him again if he would accept my offer. The answer was still no.
Dingler, what you did was very admirable. My partner works for the mentally ill for the LA county. He has witness the worse. Your story definately put a smile on my face. But at the same time, I feel despair for the homeless that have many opportunities to get out. A few want out. But the many prefer to stay. And that's unfortunate.
Thanks for the post! Keep trying!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
why is it only men out there holding signs?? i dont see any woman??
which brings up an interesting point,,,but since i had my sensitivity training,,,i'll be quiet,,

Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I think we’ve all seen this type of problem and as so many have said it may be a scam 9 out of 10 times. There have been times when I will give money and there are times when I don’t and just keep walking on. I think it comes down to each situation as to weather or not you care to help or not. Personally I seem to feel the need at times and thus do provide some money. Did I get ripped off? Maybe,,,,,,,, but maybe there are more times that I helped someone and they are grateful! I’ll never know one way or the other. However if we can’t help our fellow man ~ who will. Would Jesus walk on by or stop for the moment and see what he could do? I think our conscience is our guide for telling us what to do in each case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment