Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I also remember reading that you should get to know the people in HR and Finance to avoid the layoff list.

Any truth to this?

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Quote:
Maybe if you are a kiss ass, you never get laid off?
I think this is the most accurate assessment in all of the Posts!! I think a lot of it is Luck and CYA unfortunately. Sometimes NOT thinking outside of the box and being status quo is exactly what will keep someone from being laid off!!

In all honesty, your best chance of keeping your job is if the decision makers LIKE you. Period. so, you need to make them like you either through being invaluable or by kissing a$$.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Keep from getting laid off? Easy. Find a job that sucks and nobody wants to do and do it well.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I can't get laid off I hold the licenses.

Everyone in HR will get laid off before I do.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Initially, I think it's getting rid of crummy workers - even if they just say it's a no-fault layoff. Once those are gone, I think it's purely a numbers game.

Being friends with HR wouldn't make any difference. They are pure expense to a company and candidates for layoffs too. Plus, they just do what they are told.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Initially, I think it's getting rid of crummy workers - even if they just say it's a no-fault layoff. Once those are gone, I think it's purely a numbers game.

Being friends with HR wouldn't make any difference. They are pure expense to a company and candidates for layoffs too. Plus, they just do what they are told.
I been surprised to hear even in this economy that lots of companuies who laid off workers rehired ome of them at their same salaries because they realized they cut too deep.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I also remember reading that you should get to know the people in HR and Finance to avoid the layoff list.

Any truth to this?
I'd rather get layed off than befriend those pricks.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I have heard of corps who have laid off the workers. Then hire them back as consultants, paying them 2x what they used to pay them. (but they're not on the books). And 2 years later they are still "consultants". Guess you shouldn't have laid them off huh?!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I worked for for the same company for 25 year after changing jobs as the opportunties became available. Saw alot of people not make it but that really depended on them. I have to say thinking that showing upon time is working got common with some at the at the last or playing around thinking no one knew what they were doing.Also stayed away from office politics and personality conflicts. Bascailly just made sure I was valuable.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
I just made 15 years this month, since my last layoff

I always look for the writing on the wall and tend to be a bit paranoid. I worked for a couple of really badly managed companies, so I know all the signs. So I start looking for a new job. I average one new job every two years. Not all have been because I was worried about layoff's but enough

Moving jobs this much can hurt. But some things that I can usually guarantee: 1. I am probably the lowest paid. 2. They think I am young (shouldn't matter but it does sometimes). 3. keeps my skills up to date. I can bring new ideas to a company that probably hasn't changed it ways in the past 10 or 15 years.

I agree with lovetheduns. Keep those skills fresh and up to date. Think outside the box. Just because you work in the office doesn't mean you can't go out to the warehouse and see how they do things (as one example).

Oh, just plain old luck helps too I am an automotive engineer in MI that's still employed so I know what I am talking about I have been waiting to get laid off for two years now. Feelin that itch though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment