Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people work as cashiers not as beginning jobs but, just like you to make ends meet, get through school or simply like the part-time hours.

One of the store clerks around here use to be very nice and he scrubbed the bathrooms, ran the register, stocked items, etc etc. It turned out he was finishing his PHD.

The only thing I despise is someone doing a job and not taking pride in the job they do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I've never looked down on anyone who puts in an honest days work regardless of what they did.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
I look down the grocery store cashier's shirt.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
When I was in England a couple years ago, I discovered how rude the store checkers are out there. No smiles, no small-talk. After they ring you up, they practically throw your change at you and insist you bag your own groceries.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
When I was in England a couple years ago, I discovered how rude the store checkers are out there. No smiles, no small-talk. After they ring you up, they practically throw your change at you and insist you bag your own groceries.
Are you sure you weren't in Bergen County, NJ?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:25 PM

76 posts, read 162,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I've never looked down on anyone who puts in an honest days work regardless of what they did.

I love the cashier's at the Publix store near my house..........most of them (even the young teenagers) are pleasant and are doing their job as fast and accurately as they can. The Wal-Mart cashier's however are not pleasant at all, not that they are outright rude (close) but it makes me not want to shop there nearly as much.

Do I look down on any of them because they are cashier's no.........they need a job just like everyone else and I too just might end up a cashier myself one day.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Thanks! It wasn't just one person though...I could tell it was a whole different ball game for customers. Not for everybody by any means at all. Thankfully I got a job offer at my full salary so I am very lucky that I don't need to be a grocery store cashier since I have education and experience to do something else. This just really opened my eyes to what some of my co workers have to do and they don't have a choice like I do and it makes me a little bit sad
As a former cashier, myself, I do agree with much of what you said. Many people DO look down at cashiers. I think for the many reasons that were already mentioned. But I want to point out one small thing- among the many assumptions people make about cashiers, the one that burns me up the most is that they have little or no education.

I worked summers, weekends, seasonal as a cashier to pay for college. I probably had more education than most of the customers that came through my line. I was obviously smart enough to work through school than take out loans I knew, for sure, that customers' impressions changed when I would say that I didn't work there full time, and that I was a college student. The tone of the small talk usually changed after that.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Being a cashier is not easy. I had a really horrible woman I worked with who was supposed to keep us supplied with change and she stalled and ignored us much to the annoyance of the customers.

I don't look down on anyone doing an honest day's work.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
As a former cashier, myself, I do agree with much of what you said. Many people DO look down at cashiers. I think for the many reasons that were already mentioned. But I want to point out one small thing- among the many assumptions people make about cashiers, the one that burns me up the most is that they have little or no education.
Agree. I mentioned the other day that I worked p/t for five years at a popular mall chain store, and my p/t coworkers were more often than not highly educated and making good money at their day jobs. We worked there because we liked the product line the store carried. There was a scientist, three teachers, two people in the I/T field, a cat claim adjuster, and an accountant. At least three had masters level degrees.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:58 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
The British do not like serving people...It is a major component of their 'culture' to be disdainful and 'not chit chatty' when serving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment