Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

We have a WONDERFUL local grocery store! everyone there treats us (better than) family! We have our favorite cashiers as well as folks behind the deli, bread, seafood and other counters.

The other great thing about this market is that you see the same faces year after year. That says a LOT about the owners; I've always believed that hiring good people, treating them well, motivating them and paying them honestly will earn you FAR more profits than treating your employees are mere "resources"...

I've always wanted to treat anyone I deal with nicely. Makes you feel good as well as makes THEM feel good (and you get better service!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Oh, that reminded me--I've got a favorite in the deli, to the point that I'll wait until she's available! She is sooo funny and just a joy! She's actually got quite a fan club, I've noticed that many people will let others go ahead of them so they can get her as well.

I also love the people at my local Subway where I go for lunch a few times a week. It's amazing how people can brighten your day, isn't it?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I love the folks that work at my local Publix store.
I used to live near a Publix. I would drive right past the W-D and Food Lion to go all the way to Publix b/c the entire staff of the store was so friendly and nice. I could shop there with 3 kids under the age of 6 and come out 45 min later still with a smile on my face.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Nope.
I worked as one for a couple of months and it definitely sucked. Some days were good but you encountered so many rude people, it would definitely bring your day down. I was always polite and courteous yet for some people it just wasn't enough.

I started having shoulder pain the last two to three weeks I was there and my shoulder still pains me. I can be doing simple things and out of nowhere it will just hurt. I used to be able to pick by backpack up with no pain but every time I pick it up, it hurts. I know it's from that job.

Even before I was a cashier, I didn't look down on cashiers. I took each one on a case by case basis. Some were rude and some were very nice. You can't just lump them all up together.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I used to live near a Publix. I would drive right past the W-D and Food Lion to go all the way to Publix b/c the entire staff of the store was so friendly and nice. I could shop there with 3 kids under the age of 6 and come out 45 min later still with a smile on my face.

LOL! That's saying something! I shop at Publix as well, and when I'm up north I shop at Wegmans.

Found out the other day that Wegmans and Publix have an agreement with each other not to venture into each others "territories." On one hand I'm glad, on the other I'd love to have Wegman's near me. Maybe they'll merge and we'll get the best of both stores?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I hate people who are nasty to cashiers and floor people in stores. The worst is when the cashier scans an item and for whatever reason it doesn't ring up at the sale price and the customer goes off on them as if the poor cashier is personally trying to rip them off.

I've seen people stand there making faces and whatnot at an obvious trainee who is working with a manager on ringing things up properly. Everyone was new at their job at one time, why be nasty? This person will be doing just fine after they get the hang of things.

The impatience level or downright nastiness to service workers is just a shame.
The problem being that this happens with every customer every time they shop. You would think the stores would correct this problem but they don't.

I have worked in a Grocery Store and so has my wife so we don't look down on the employees but I get tired of having the same problem day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
My husband knows most of them by name, and they all seem to know my husband. It's like the "Norm!" thing from Cheers when he strolls in. They also sometimes let him grab the microphone and page nonexistent people or the assistant manager. They probably think he is a slightly demented hydroponic child and just let him amuse himself for fear he might go apeshi% and start tossing produce.

Basically I try to avoid that grocery store because now they know me, too and I'm afraid my "keep your head down and get through the list" style just pales beside my husband's more colorful...ways.

Soooo, I think here in my tiny world it is more a fear of whether the grocery clerks look down on us....
Your husband sounds like a hoot...but I must ask you: what is a hydroponic child? Grown without soil?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
LOL! That's saying something! I shop at Publix as well, and when I'm up north I shop at Wegmans.

Found out the other day that Wegmans and Publix have an agreement with each other not to venture into each others "territories." On one hand I'm glad, on the other I'd love to have Wegman's near me. Maybe they'll merge and we'll get the best of both stores?
There would be no merger. Publix doesnt "merge". It buys out and turns what it buys to whatever it wishes.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
There would be no merger. Publix doesnt "merge". It buys out and turns what it buys to whatever it wishes.
Like I said, they have an agreement. And I hate to say it, but if push came to shove Wegmans would win. They have more selection, an incredible bakery, much better produce, and overall a better shopping experience. If you've never shopped in one you can't understand. it's like Whole Foods meets Publix on steroids. They are both privately owned and non-union, and regularly on the best places to work lists.

I've met plenty of people down south who talk about how much they miss Wegman's, I've never met anyone up north who talks about how much they miss Publix.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I don't look down at anyone who is willing to work. There's a dignity and value to all work. My father taught me that no matter what work you do you should do it to your best ability and that advice has served me well. I've been a busgirl, hostess, cashier, clerk, cocktail waitress, tutor, and teacher and found that there are some people who are nice to deal with and some people who are just nasty individuals. I always try to be nice even when dealing with condescending jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment