Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I even started my degree in computer science before I learned about how so many programming jobs were being shipped overseas.
I read some people saying that it's a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 43,513 times
i do PHP/MySQL programming for websites, its a great and in demand field

for example, my company runs this site below ... very successful

Job Search | CBCJobs

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,477,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I read some people saying that it's a myth.
Jobs that are low-skilled development work are getting outsourced, and depending on how it's done it can be a massive pain in the ass. Work that requires more skill/direction isn't really getting outsourced though.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM

126 posts, read 724,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Work that requires more skill/direction isn't really getting outsourced though.
The reality is that high-skilled development efforts are
being off-shored. Example: I know someone working IT
for a very large O&G corporation where very large project
efforts are developed off-shore, in countries where
English is a second language.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,477,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercay View Post
The reality is that high-skilled development efforts are
being off-shored. Example: I know someone working IT
for a very large O&G corporation where very large project
efforts are developed off-shore, in countries where
English is a second language.
Yes, but a couple points:

Someone here still needs to be responsible for said effort. There will need to be individuals to gather requirements, code review and architect the effort. When I'm referring to high skilled work I'm referring to these individuals, not code monkeys being given a requirements documents and coding directly to a spec. Unfortunately, it's usually the code monkeys who gain experience and move up into those roles, so we'll see how those roles end up getting filled over time.

This hasn't been going on for very long, so the success of those efforts is still difficult to gauge.

I mean I've stepped into situations where they killed their outsourced team off and brought it back on-shore because whatever was written previously was a mess, over budget, off deadline. I am dealing with this in a satellite office as well and the effort isn't going very smoothly. Outsourcing is not very easy and has the ability to be more costly than doing things in house.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,019 times
Speaking as someone who's been in IT for the last 10 years and hasn't seen his job outsourced, allow me to comment. First, unless you're fresh out of school and have very little experience, don't waste your time on certifications. You might impress people who have no clue what those letters mean, but the people in the field who hire you won't care. What they value most is your experience. Second, outsourcing is something you should be concerned about, but I also think it's something that's vastly overstated. I've worked with companies who've learned the hard way that the cost savings aren't worth it. Managing distributed development is a pain and quality almost always suffers. Even bringing in contractors isn't always preferred. Almost every job I've had was one where I came in and cleaned up the mess left behind by some contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment