Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times

Advertisements

I have applied for probably 20+ and I have never heard a thing. As mentioned, you are graded on a points system. If you havent been in the service recently, you dont stand a chance. Most require you to know computer systems and programs that you would only have experience with only if you have served and used these programs, or already work there.

Last edited by RcHydro; 07-04-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
I've had a couple of interviews, no idea of the reasoning why I didn't get selected. Agencies have different ways of doing vet preference. Some set it up to where vet preference is added to whatever score a person has on the hiring register, so you'll have a lot of people with 100+ points. Places that do that basically set it up to where non-vets need not apply, because the best they can do is 100 points.
What's frustrating is the state jobs where I'm at all use that same system.

Other agencies have a system where everyone is considered the same through the early stages of the hiring process, but a vet will be hired over a non-vet if both make it to the final round of selections.

In general, getting a federal job depends on being able to move, finding the right agency, and often in being able to apply for positions where you might have less competition [like in an unpopular location], although that last part is a pretty tall order these days.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
1. Be a veteran
2. Be a disabled veteran.
3. Be in a field in high demand.

I have a federal job. It is a numbers game, be willing to move across the country, at your own expense, for less pay than the job you currently have. Once you are in the club, then you have the chance to move around, get a better job. It can happen if you want.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I'm in the Balt/DC area and live in a neighborhood of mostly fed workers. Just thinking off the top of my head...I can't think of a single one who is NOT a veteran. Come to think of it, all of them are transplants, too. Maybe a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

200 posts, read 505,142 times
They seem always out of reach. I currently serve in the Army Reserves as an officer and have been in the Army for ten years now. I have applied to over 30 jobs, tailored my resume, and always been willing to go where the job was. I even try applying for jobs that require you to be in the Reserves to cut out the disabled vets and retirees from my competition.

From what I've gathered it's more about who you know then just filling out an application on USAJobs.com or the CPOL website (now at armycivlianservice.com). I was mobilized at Ft Knox in 2008 and while there I learned that HRC was moving there. A GS 11 stated plain and clear that I would need to let her know when I applied otherwise my application would get "lost in the sauce" because like everything, it's not what you know, but who you know. I still believed what everyone else said, you just tailor your resume and if you qualify you'll get it so I just applied for the jobs on the CPOL site and never called her. I now work as a retail manager-in-training where I hope to take over my own store by this September and get back to making a decent wage in the civilian world.

For those who think having a veteran's preference gets you in like Flynn, you are mistaken.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
It depends on your field. If you are an Engineer or Programmer it is not as hard than if you are looking for a general office or science position.

In Science, particularly Biology and Chemistry the private sector has been so terrible to them that everyone is applying for Fed jobs. I have gotten results emails indicating you were found eligible but over 1000 people applied. I have been trying for years.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I have applied for probably 20+ and I have never heard a thing. As mentioned, you are graded on a points system. If you havent been in the service recently, you dont stand a chance. Most require you to know computer systems and programs that you would only have experience with only if you have served and used these programs, or already work there.
Well you stand a chance if you know someone on the inside even if you haven't had service.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM

169 posts, read 193,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I've had a couple of interviews, no idea of the reasoning why I didn't get selected. Agencies have different ways of doing vet preference. Some set it up to where vet preference is added to whatever score a person has on the hiring register, so you'll have a lot of people with 100+ points. Places that do that basically set it up to where non-vets need not apply, because the best they can do is 100 points.
What's frustrating is the state jobs where I'm at all use that same system.

Other agencies have a system where everyone is considered the same through the early stages of the hiring process, but a vet will be hired over a non-vet if both make it to the final round of selections.

In general, getting a federal job depends on being able to move, finding the right agency, and often in being able to apply for positions where you might have less competition [like in an unpopular location], although that last part is a pretty tall order these days.
It is all but impossible for non-preference applicants to get hired from external (public) vacancy announcements because of the new category ranking system. The old numerical scoring system was hard enough, because like you said, 10-point preference applicants could score in the low 90s and still be referred over non-preference applicants who scored a perfect 100.

But now with the new category ranking system it is even more of an advantage for preference applicants. The ranking system is divided up into three separate categories: qualified (scores ranging from 70-79), well-qualified (scores ranging from 80-89), and best qualified (scores ranging from 90-100). This new category ranking system still gives you a numerical NOR (Notice of Results) score, but it also incorporates the "float" option for preference applicants. What this means is that all a 10-point preference applicant has to do is score an 80, which would place them in the bottom of the well-qualified category, and they will automatically float to the top of the best qualified category. So as long as the 10-point preference applicant scores an 80 or higher, they will float above all other applicants, and be placed at the very top of the best qualified category.

To add to this, each preference applicant MUST receive consideration before all other non-preference applicants. This means that even if the 10-point preference applicant scores an 80, but is far less qualified than a non-preference applicant who scores a perfect 100, then that 10-point applicant scoring an 80 still must receive consideration first. If there are enough preference applicants in the applicant pool, then the cert list will be filled with only preference applicants, and no non-preference applicants (even if they score perfect 100s) will receive consideration (this is similar to how under the old numerical ranking system, cutoff scores would be set in excess of 100 so no non-preference applicants would be referred).

This is why you see so many external cert lists made up of ONLY preference applicants. Don't forget that to add to the traditional 5-10 point vet preferences, there is also spousal preference (for spouses of veterans), and maternal preference (for mothers of veterans). Most applicants are not aware of these additional preferences they have to compete against for federal jobs. This is why it is all but impossible for a non-preference applicant to get hired for a federal job externally anymore.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 17,116 times
I took a term position for 1-year and during the year - I applied for hundreds of fed jobs- got about 5 interviews with no luck.
It is who you know and not what you know. My position is about to end. I worked for 11 years in local county government in the burbs of Northern Virginia, here it was worse than a third world country, every aunt and uncle worked together - it was like Andy Griffith. No joke - most of the workers were concerned with what kind of car you drove or your ethic background. Sad to say -but times are tough in 2012. I have 2-masters degrees and tons of experience - but when favoritism and nepotism are rampant - you don't stand a chance.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I don't begrudge anyone their military service. But I sure don't think veterans should get any more preference than anyone else.

I was told no matter high high I scored if I was up against a vet I wouldn't get it. In fact the vet can SCORE LOWER than me, and STILL get the job because of the vet points. THAT is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment