Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 AM

11 posts, read 25,539 times

Advertisements

Yes, There are people who take up the wrong job at wrong time and end up cursing their fate and find themselves in a depressed mood. This eventually leads to rude behavior with the customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
= If a black person told you he or she did not want to be called the N word would you call them a loon. Each person gets to choose what they consider offensive and I think you are being very disrespectful to me to call me a loon just because I fully understand the meaning of a word and do not want to be called a grotesque name. The word is even more offensive than that. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the British Parliment and the English people hated him so much that they made effigies of him and burned them. The effigies were called "guys." And you are calling your customers that which is the same as calling them a grotesque murderer. That is worse than the N word.
You're worse than a loon, you're a moron. How dare you compare someone referring to you as a "guy" or "guys" to someone calling you the n-word. The word was used to oppress nobody and has no offensive contextual insinuation, and I know you can't be thick enough to think otherwise. Thanks for opening your mouth and confirming what I thought was correct and worse.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Seriously?
You aren't in the UK, you aren't living in ages past (I hope).
Guys is not a derogatory term here! Not even anywhere near the equivalent of that other word
Guy | Define Guy at Dictionary.com says "Usually, guys. Informal . persons of either sex; people"

Man I bet you blow a gasket when someone mentions a fanny pack.
.You keep using that word. - YouTube
In 1987 the word guys had a different meaning in the dictionary than it does online now. It only has the meaning online now because so many rude people use the term the way you say that it is stated in the dictionary to be that. The REAL meaning of the word is what I said. Guys is not an acceptable word for respectful people to be called to those of us who are protestant and had ancestors coming from England. When I go into a place and someone calls me a guy, I don't go back there. When someone uses the word guy in general talking, I mark them off my social list.

Last edited by NCN; 02-20-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
You're worse than a loon, you're a moron. How dare you compare someone referring to you as a "guy" or "guys" to someone calling you the n-word. The word was used to oppress nobody and has no offensive contextual insinuation, and I know you can't be thick enough to think otherwise. Thanks for opening your mouth and confirming what I thought was correct and worse.
Since you lack understanding I will repeat: Calling someone a grotesque murderer is worse than calling them the N word since the N word is not calling them a murderer. The word guy was used to make fun of and ridicule. The word guy as a verb actually means to make fun of: ridicule. How dare you keep insisting that is an acceptable term to call someone.

Calling someone a moron or loon are also not acceptable addresses for respectable people. Actually you are being very demeaning and offensive to me in your post. Who are you to tell me that a word should not offend me. That is basically telling me that I do not matter as a human being. I think that is trying to oppress me. I guess you think that I have no rights and should just go along with anything you say whether it is offensive or not. Maybe like some of the others on this thread; you need to listen to the feelings of others and stop telling me what should and should not offend me. I know what is offensive and not offensive to me and my friends that do not want to be called an ugly four letter word know what offends them too. The word "guys" is a very ugly and offensive word. Nice people do not use it; in my opinion.

Last edited by NCN; 02-20-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 PM
NCN

Speaking of customer service, I wonder how many businesses are lost by being disrespectful to customers. Sunday we decided to get a pizza for lunch. We passed by at least five pizza places and traveled 10 miles beyond the first place to get a pizza from our favorite Pizza Hut. Thinking about this thread, I started to wonder why we did not stop at any of the other places, some that had the same pizza with the same price that we ordered.

I think we went where we knew we would be treated respectfully and not have any surprises in the box when we got home. Everything is always the way we want it and cooked exactly right and we see them scrambling to make sure it is that way. Then when the manager handed us our pizza and called my husband, not guys, not folks, not anything else but his name. He said thank you to my husband, invited him back for another time and called him Mr. _______. And yes, we will go back to that place, but now I realize why we like it. It gives us a warm fuzzy feeling. Traveling ten miles extra with gas prices what they are now was expensive, but it was more than worth it.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
I see a lot of that where I work, particularly among the day crew. I could understand if maybe the cashier had a bad day with customers so far and didn't mean to, but was taking it out on everybody else. I'm all for giving rude people their own medicine and all, but not taking it out on everybody else thereafter. However anybody who has worked in any kind of customer service knows this is harder done than said.

I'm an overnight cashier where I work, but unlike the other cashiers I get pulled to stock and only recently when two cashiers have been gone have I been cashiering more and I don't actively look for other work because I want to relocate out of state with a job.

Two weeks ago it seemed like all week customers were particularly nasty and when I get fed up, I just shut up, don't say a word or anything. Then I'd get someone who was extremely nice/friendly or just not rude and I'd feel bad for letting insignificant other people get to me in such a way. I haven't learned how to master that yet and it seems as though more outgoing people have an easier time with it than I do.

My biggest problem is that companies don't take into consideration what a hostile work environment actually does to their employees. Some of the things customers get away with anywhere would likely be considered harassment if it came from another coworker so I don't understand why companies don't have some kind of policy against it. And it's not just about employee feelings; it's about the fact that a hostile work environment created by either employers, employees or customers or all, drives down company profits in the form of absenteeism, health problems, turnover, lost business, etc. There's also the fact that most difficult customers are really no gem to the companies they torment; they are generally a fiscal thorn in the side rather than upset people who just want what's rightfully theirs. It's true, some people are just never satisfied.

On the flip side, in many service jobs you'll see a lot of one or a select few people pulling all the weight while some do their share and nothing more and others get away with doing whatever they want, leaving their work to whoever else, or doing as little as possible until that clock chimes clock-out time. Who in their right mind can work in that kind of environment and be happy?

Everyone says it's easy to go get another job but if you look at the job openings you'll see a lot of service, customer service, customer care, call-center, blah blah blah. There may be a few janitorial, stocking, shelving, whatever-else, but customer-service jobs are easiest to get for broke people and they seem to be the most numerous. Everyone should be glad to have a job, but not everybody is cut out for customer service either and don't have much choice when it comes to getting out of it.

Also most stores have a way to complain about a certain employee and most stores want their customers to be happy so anybody who has complaints about these matters can complain and if still unsatisfied, can take their business elsewhere. There's no sense subjecting yourself to rude treatment and that goes for either side.

Last edited by Osito; 02-21-2012 at 06:51 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,305 times
This whole discussion is why I dug deep back into my roots and now say "y'all."

Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
I have a few reasons for this. First off you cant expect someome making minimum wage to be happy thrilled to be working there or even the highest calibir emplyee. Not always but when the industry requires some industry knowledge and pay is better service generally is as well ie someone working at a stereo store vs dollar store.

Secondly customers are rude. People actually get pissed off at friendly cashiers and act like **** and give me my change so sometimes the clerj just stops being friendly.

Many people these days talk on cellphones while checking out and doing business. This is rude to fellow shoppers as ur transaction will take longer and its also rude to the csdhier as ur treating them as if they arent even a person, no different than a vending machine or tollbooth.

Finallybi think businesses stupid policies contribute to this. Forcing employees to upsell garbage, ask peoole if they are interested in signing up for sum crap nobody wants. It hurts moral, makes people hate their job and contributes to making them feel like robots

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I have a few reasons for this. First off you cant expect someome making minimum wage to be happy thrilled to be working there or even the highest calibir emplyee. Not always but when the industry requires some industry knowledge and pay is better service generally is as well ie someone working at a stereo store vs dollar store.

Secondly customers are rude. People actually get pissed off at friendly cashiers and act like **** and give me my change so sometimes the clerj just stops being friendly.

Many people these days talk on cellphones while checking out and doing business. This is rude to fellow shoppers as ur transaction will take longer and its also rude to the csdhier as ur treating them as if they arent even a person, no different than a vending machine or tollbooth.

Finallybi think businesses stupid policies contribute to this. Forcing employees to upsell garbage, ask peoole if they are interested in signing up for sum crap nobody wants. It hurts moral, makes people hate their job and contributes to making them feel like robots
Great summary. Retail is a poor work environment and often attracts low skill workers.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Yeah, it's loony people like you that make normal people feel sorry for those in the service industry. Saying "guys" is simply an informal gesture to make people feel at ease (it's even written into some server handbooks as the sort of greetings they would like to hear), and if you're addressing a co-ed group it's simply intuitive (I once made the mistake of saying "Hi ladies!" to a table of 3 girls and 1 guy that had long-ish hair who I couldn't see very well so I assumed he was a girl, boy he acted offended!).

Like the poster on the first page said, it's natural for people to harp on the negative instead of the positive. That's why reviews for department stores, fast food places, and sit down restaurants can be so skewed. People can have 100 positive experiences and never take note, but if they have a single negative experience they'll enshrine it online.
I wouldn't be offended by "guys" even if I was a girl - funny I know- but its a regional thing. When I lived in Louisiana and I'm with a group that included females and someone referred to "you guys". My first response definitely is "you're not from around here are you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment