Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times

Advertisements

Why? Because beware of predators these days, who know people are desperate.

I am waiting on an offer letter tomorrow, but it's oh so scary. They say they'll install something in my house to do the job.

At any rate, probably most of you will never come into contact with something like this, but we must not take just anything just because the job market is bad. Ok, nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times
Good choice, anything that you have to pay for, or have added, check out the company, website, BBB, references, don't let them put in anything. You'll probably end up with a monthly service charge.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Good choice, anything that you have to pay for, or have added, check out the company, website, BBB, references, don't let them put in anything. You'll probably end up with a monthly service charge.
Thanks, I am not worried about a montly service charge, rather some weirdo who is a peeping Tom or worse. I don't want anyone coming into my house for a job. I don't care how bad the job market - not worth it. I guess I am looking for validation and a thumbs up to NOT take this job, in spite of everything.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
I totally agree movin'on! Don't sweat it; if I remember right you found this through an agency? That is scary.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
There is just something NOT right about this, friend.
I am glad you said no in the end.

If it sounds too good to be true, especially now, go with your intuition.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
What kind of job would be so invasive as to install a monitoring device in your house???? That's not normal. I know that some WAH positions have to install their own computers and phones (and then pay your official monthly bills), but this is very unusual. Did I miss your post somewhere on what type of position this is?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks, I am not worried about a montly service charge, rather some weirdo who is a peeping Tom or worse. I don't want anyone coming into my house for a job. I don't care how bad the job market - not worth it. I guess I am looking for validation and a thumbs up to NOT take this job, in spite of everything.
I would say do not take this job and do not let them into your home or install anything regardless of what they say. IMO be polite and tell them you accepted another job offer, in other words, thanks but no thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I would say do not take this job and do not let them into your home or install anything regardless of what they say. IMO be polite and tell them you accepted another job offer, in other words, thanks but no thanks.
This is what I am going to do. I won't let anyone into my home. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
What kind of job would be so invasive as to install a monitoring device in your house???? That's not normal. I know that some WAH positions have to install their own computers and phones (and then pay your official monthly bills), but this is very unusual. Did I miss your post somewhere on what type of position this is?
A very strange one. I don't know what kind of device it could be, as I don't know what types of products there are out there that might be necessary to use to perform one's job. I have a computer, email, phone...what else could I possibly need?

At any rate, I've had a bad feeling about this from the get go. I am a person who always knows I've never won a sweepstakes, so why didn't I just see this clearly from the outset? Thanks to you and other CDers who raised the red flag.

Today is Friday. I expect something in the mail. I will have to address this on Monday for sure.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
A very strange one. I don't know what kind of device it could be, as I don't know what types of products there are out there that might be necessary to use to perform one's job. I have a computer, email, phone...what else could I possibly need?

At any rate, I've had a bad feeling about this from the get go. I am a person who always knows I've never won a sweepstakes, so why didn't I just see this clearly from the outset? Thanks to you and other CDers who raised the red flag.

Today is Friday. I expect something in the mail. I will have to address this on Monday for sure.
Good decision. If it smells like a rat, it usually is a rat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment