Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

I've been out of the business world for six years now. Needless to say, I think any skills I've had are probably outdated. I could get a job as an admin and get caught up on the software, but I feel like I could not get the kinds of jobs I had in the past due to my having taken this "hiatus" and my age. When I "dropped out" six years ago I was thinking I could just eek by with a part-time job, if only there were some kind of healthcare reform. Well, I've half the money I had then so eeking by is out.

So I think I need to start ALL OVER again. I don't want to have to go back to school for a whole new career at 50, but I don't see a way around it. My plan has been to go for for a master's in teaching thinking the jobs would always be there (the jobs where not everyone would be willing to teach), but now my state is broke. They are cutting back in both social services (what I've been dabbling in the past five years) and education. I have no idea what to do now. The medical field is pretty much out as I've never been a nursing type. What to do...what to do...

How about you? Anyone out there who feels their skills are outdated and is wondering how to get them updated? Anyone out there contemplating a completely new career and having to return to school? Anyone at the point of just trying to eek by and then go on social security? Anyone else at the point where they just don't know what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Yes, we are about the same age and I have been unemployed 4 months now. There are few administrative jobs in my area and the recruiters don't have many opportunities available either. I've considered an A+ certification for computers because I have the skills just no certs to back it up; only problem is that many times A+ isn't enough to meet the qualifications for a job listing. I don't want to go back to school for very long to learn something.

I've considered medical too that is where the jobs are here but I'm not sure what to get into; coding is going to be offshored in the near future and I don't want to waste my time on something that will likely leave me unemployed in a few years. It is one of the few jobs in the field that don't involve seeing RED.

I have been the major bread-winner in my family for almost all of my adult working life but I don't know what to do now.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
It's a real rough road for those of us who are highly educated and not recently experienced.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's a real rough road for those of us who are highly educated and not recently experienced.
Yes, it is. I know you have a family which has its downside and upside, more upside than down. I know your husband has pressured you, but at least you have someone to share the worry with.

It's hard being single right now knowing I have to count on me alone for the duration. Honestly, it might be easier for me to find a life partner than a career at this point, but not a good reason to do so. I have two GIANT areas of my life that need attention, and I am not very good at multi-tasking right now.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I've been out of the business world for six years now. Needless to say, I think any skills I've had are probably outdated. I could get a job as an admin and get caught up on the software, but I feel like I could not get the kinds of jobs I had in the past due to my having taken this "hiatus" and my age. When I "dropped out" six years ago I was thinking I could just eek by with a part-time job, if only there were some kind of healthcare reform. Well, I've half the money I had then so eeking by is out.

So I think I need to start ALL OVER again. I don't want to have to go back to school for a whole new career at 50, but I don't see a way around it. My plan has been to go for for a master's in teaching thinking the jobs would always be there (the jobs where not everyone would be willing to teach), but now my state is broke. They are cutting back in both social services (what I've been dabbling in the past five years) and education. I have no idea what to do now. The medical field is pretty much out as I've never been a nursing type. What to do...what to do...

How about you? Anyone out there who feels their skills are outdated and is wondering how to get them updated? Anyone out there contemplating a completely new career and having to return to school? Anyone at the point of just trying to eek by and then go on social security? Anyone else at the point where they just don't know what to do?
I completely understand this. I'm only 39, but right now am finding that not only do I really not have the viable option of using my previous education/experience as jobs are like finding a needle in a haystack, but that even if I did have the option, I really don't want to anyway.

I graduated with a Masters in Education and got certified to teach elementary education, only to find out that I just really didn't like teaching very much. I needed to get back to work quickly, so I took a small handful of courses to get a paralegal certificate. I was doing that for about 5 or 6 years, but I'm pretty burnt out on that, too. I don't like working for attorneys, and find all the legal jargon and whatnot to be so tedious. Besides, I never intended that field to be anything more than something to help me get by while I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I left my last paralegal job to get trained in a field where I could work for myself, but I'm finding out that I really don't feel cut out to be self-employed (at least not on a full-time basis, anyway), and with the economy being so tight, people just aren't spending money that they don't absolutely have to.

It's scary because I'm still dealing with that lingering brainwashing that says that school is a virtual guarantee of success, when today's truth is that going back to school is the ultimate in "buyer beware". I don't want spend time and money only to be left with a degree/credential that will leave me with nothing but more debt. I'm finding it quite difficult to find something to do that will be both something I at least somewhat enjoy and something that I can actually earn a living at.

I really wish I could just go back 20 years in time and do it all over again. I've made so many bad decisions that I could just kick myself.

Sucks to be 39 and clueless

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I don't feel pressured to start over, but will do so, at the age of 43. I've been in the real industry for 15 years, both banking and legal as an adminstrative assistant. I love my job, but after 15 years of non-stop layoffs, I want out. I have a degree in social work that is useless without experience. In about a a year, while my daughter is leaving for college, I will go back for a degree in Health and Human Services, than pursue the same for my master. I will definitely be taking a pay cut going in the hospital setting, however, it offers more stability. My focus of learning will concentrate on medicare and social security programs, there is high growth areas for this, as more people are living longer.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Check with your local unemployment office. I know that in Florida they offer a huge amount of training in MS Office, and some other common business software applications for free.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, it is. I know you have a family which has its downside and upside, more upside than down. I know your husband has pressured you, but at least you have someone to share the worry with.

It's hard being single right now knowing I have to count on me alone for the duration. Honestly, it might be easier for me to find a life partner than a career at this point, but not a good reason to do so. I have two GIANT areas of my life that need attention, and I am not very good at multi-tasking right now.
Yeah, you have a lot to handle. I guess all you can do is break it down into smaller pieces and try to figure out what is best.

I know we'll probably have to move. The economy here is the pits. It's not about 'having an attitude' it's just tanked here and there is no industry to be built up again.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
It's scary because I'm still dealing with that lingering brainwashing that says that school is a virtual guarantee of success, when today's truth is that going back to school is the ultimate in "buyer beware". I don't want spend time and money only to be left with a degree/credential that will leave me with nothing but more debt. I'm finding it quite difficult to find something to do that will be both something I at least somewhat enjoy and something that I can actually earn a living at.

I really wish I could just go back 20 years in time and do it all over again. I've made so many bad decisions that I could just kick myself.

Sucks to be 39 and clueless
Good post. You're not the only one. For some of us, 'the wrong decision' was right at the time. For me, I was a stay at home mom for many years. My son has special needs, I had no child care backup (could not leave him with anyone), no family willing to help, either. So I stayed home, and we had reduced income. Now when I am able to work full time, we have a recession. All we can do now is tough it out and eventually it will get better.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I don't feel pressured to start over, but will do so, at the age of 43. I've been in the real industry for 15 years, both banking and legal as an adminstrative assistant. I love my job, but after 15 years of non-stop layoffs, I want out. I have a degree in social work that is useless without experience. In about a a year, while my daughter is leaving for college, I will go back for a degree in Health and Human Services, than pursue the same for my master. I will definitely be taking a pay cut going in the hospital setting, however, it offers more stability. My focus of learning will concentrate on medicare and social security programs, there is high growth areas for this, as more people are living longer.
Sounds like a good plan. What exactly do you plan to do with the degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment