Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:21 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times

Advertisements

Although NICET4 has pointed out the pros of being a Fire Sprinkler Designer/Inspector, I feel that getting qualified to work in that field is TOUGH.

Here are my observations:

Only 4-5 community colleges in the US offer a degree program in Fire Sprinkler Layout Design and Inspection. What happens if you don't live near one of those 4-5 community colleges? What happens if you can't afford to move or pay out of state tuition in order to complete one of those programs?

How many companies are going to provide an employee with 2 years of training to become a Fire Sprinkler Layout Designer/Inspector and get a zero return while they train that person? I can honestly say, very few--most likely none.

So if a person doesn't live near a comm. college that offer FS Design/Inspection and is not able to find a company willing to train them, how do they break into the field of FS Design/Inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
By the way, nurses don't get out much. Trust me on this one.
Nor do hotel and restaurant managers.
The title of the thread stated 'field work' but the body of the original post said he/she was looking for work involving walking around most of the time, and I think that describes nursing to a T.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
Case Manager in mental health or mental retardation. I was in the field a lot with my jobs and sometimes didn't even go into my office for a few days, unless there were meetings.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Although NICET4 has pointed out the pros of being a Fire Sprinkler Designer/Inspector, I feel that getting qualified to work in that field is TOUGH.
It's tough but not impossible. As you point out below there is a near total lack of training facilities but if there were a lot of them there would most likely be a huge number of qualified people and even some possible unemployment in the ranks. On the plus side even now inspectors and designers enjoy near 100% employment.

Quote:
Here are my observations:

Only 4-5 community colleges in the US offer a degree program in Fire Sprinkler Layout Design and Inspection. What happens if you don't live near one of those 4-5 community colleges? What happens if you can't afford to move or pay out of state tuition in order to complete one of those programs?
Most I've checked into have online training with just a couple quarters required to be at the school.

Complete stab... $5,000 for all online courses followed by maybe $15,000 for six months at school? A total of $20,000 spread out over two years for a certification where there is a severe shortage and lots of well paying jobs available right now.

Quote:
How many companies are going to provide an employee with 2 years of training to become a Fire Sprinkler Layout Designer/Inspector and get a zero return while they train that person? I can honestly say, very few--most likely none.

Sorry, you are incorrect. I am afraid someone with just 2 years would have an easier time than I would have getting a job in this market. They would be capable of doing the work with little or minimal supervision but would work at half my pay lower pay being $15 to $25 an hour depending on what part of the country they were located. There's tons of immediate jobs for people right out of school with freshly graduated students getting snapped up right away.

They can do the work and while they can be as productive as I am but they can not submit or certify drawings. That's like getting me for half pay... a bargain. Certification would be done by someone, usually the lead designer, who is fully certified, reviews the work and signs for the drawing.

Quote:
So if a person doesn't live near a comm. college that offer FS Design/Inspection and is not able to find a company willing to train them, how do they break into the field of FS Design/Inspection?

Getting certified is not easy, there's few schools across the country (I know of 3 not 4 or 5) but if it wasn't we would share the problems with lack of enough jobs with others.

We have designers and inspectors which are two totally different certifications but the schools I am familiar with graduates everyone with a Level II certification upon or shortly after graduation. Not unlike X-Ray technicians.

For the inspector it depends on the state. Some, Florida and Texas to name two, will accept Level II while others, such as Georgia, will offer an "interim" license usually meaning you can work for two years, show passage of Level III requirements and work a third by which time the Level III certification should be obtained.

A recent Texas
help wanted (http://houston.craigslist.org/trd/1443237179.html - broken link) ad for inspectors out of Craigs List no less,

Fire Protection - NICET Inspector Union Company (Houston )

Date: 2009-10-29, 3:03PM CDT
Reply to: job-dqwz7-1443237179@craigslist.org

Need
Nicet level II inspector, Full Time, must be willing to also get a backflow license certification if don't already have. If not Union employee now, must apply for a Union Membership. Call for further details. 713-957-5171 X 110 Speak with Inspection Department.

Compensation:
28.75 h
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Phone calls about this job are ok.

I know Craigslist is full of scams but I can assure you this one is not a scam. Houston must have a different local because they want their inspectors to be in the union. I don't think Local 669 allows inspectors to be members of the union but $28.75 with full union benefits isn't so bad two years out of a technical school. That's about $850 per week take home. Being union there will be overtime and that's time and a half with double time on Sunday.

Backflow certification is easy... usually a three to five day course with a Mickey Mouse test is all there is to that.

But back to the original post... if someone wants to work alone, be away from an office, not be micromanaged and not have a boss breathing down your throat this is a perfect job IMHO.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:08 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The title of the thread stated 'field work' but the body of the original post said he/she was looking for work involving walking around most of the time, and I think that describes nursing to a T.
I meant walking outside.

Sorry for not clarifying.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Here we go again, fire sprinkler system inspector.

Jobs are plentiful right now and appear to be for some time into the future.

Pay varies around the country but lowest I've seen is $40k with average being between $48 and $56k in most areas. Not all that glamorous but has to beat stocking shelves at Costco.

90% or better of these jobs come with company vehicles and health insurance.

90% of the time you are working by yourself outside of the office. Most I know spend between one and three hours a week in the office with paperwork but if they aren't inspecting they are not making money so get out there and inspect!

Average travel distance in a day is between 25 and 100 miles. Some overnights but rare with maybe two or three nights a month spent in a motel.

While not my primary job I have conducted inspections and from my experience:

I am usually gone from home 10 hours a day.

25% of my time is spent driving but I live in a rural area.

40% of my time is spent walking through stores, factories, hospitals and nursing homes looking.

20% of my time is spent operating valves and taking readings. Some small hand tool use, limited to small pipe wrenches, vice grips, small wrenches and screwdrivers. In union companies inspectors are considered management and there are very strict limits on the tools an inspector is allowed to use. If it is something big you call the company and they send out a union fitter to do the physical work.

15% of my time is spent filling out paperwork either in the field or back in the office.

We try to get four to six inspections completed per day. Take a 30,000 sq. ft. grocery store and you can usually get those done in 90 minutes or less if you have been there before. New accounts where you are on the site for the first time always take longer to do.

With pay running $20 to $30 an hour you will not have a lot of goof off time... a little but not much. You will be given a schedule and companies know how long each inspection should take plus or minus 20 minutes.

We do not inspect fire alarm or cooking hood systems. These are separate inspections done by someone else.

Very little in the way of sales involved. You are selling a product building owners are obligated to purchase.

A state license is required and you better do your job right because it could be checked.

Is this similar to health/safety inspectors that check on restaurants? do they have similar responsibilities? lots of walking around outside, etc?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's tough but not impossible. As you point out below there is a near total lack of training facilities but if there were a lot of them there would most likely be a huge number of qualified people and even some possible unemployment in the ranks. On the plus side even now inspectors and designers enjoy near 100% employment.

Most I've checked into have online training with just a couple quarters required to be at the school.

Complete stab... $5,000 for all online courses followed by maybe $15,000 for six months at school? A total of $20,000 spread out over two years for a certification where there is a severe shortage and lots of well paying jobs available right now.

Sorry, you are incorrect. I am afraid someone with just 2 years would have an easier time than I would have getting a job in this market. They would be capable of doing the work with little or minimal supervision but would work at half my pay lower pay being $15 to $25 an hour depending on what part of the country they were located. There's tons of immediate jobs for people right out of school with freshly graduated students getting snapped up right away.

They can do the work and while they can be as productive as I am but they can not submit or certify drawings. That's like getting me for half pay... a bargain. Certification would be done by someone, usually the lead designer, who is fully certified, reviews the work and signs for the drawing.

Getting certified is not easy, there's few schools across the country (I know of 3 not 4 or 5) but if it wasn't we would share the problems with lack of enough jobs with others.

We have designers and inspectors which are two totally different certifications but the schools I am familiar with graduates everyone with a Level II certification upon or shortly after graduation. Not unlike X-Ray technicians.

For the inspector it depends on the state. Some, Florida and Texas to name two, will accept Level II while others, such as Georgia, will offer an "interim" license usually meaning you can work for two years, show passage of Level III requirements and work a third by which time the Level III certification should be obtained.

A recent Texas
help wanted (http://houston.craigslist.org/trd/1443237179.html - broken link) ad for inspectors out of Craigs List no less,

Fire Protection - NICET Inspector Union Company (Houston )

Date: 2009-10-29, 3:03PM CDT
Reply to: job-dqwz7-1443237179@craigslist.org

Need
Nicet level II inspector, Full Time, must be willing to also get a backflow license certification if don't already have. If not Union employee now, must apply for a Union Membership. Call for further details. 713-957-5171 X 110 Speak with Inspection Department.

Compensation:
28.75 h
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Phone calls about this job are ok.

I know Craigslist is full of scams but I can assure you this one is not a scam. Houston must have a different local because they want their inspectors to be in the union. I don't think Local 669 allows inspectors to be members of the union but $28.75 with full union benefits isn't so bad two years out of a technical school. That's about $850 per week take home. Being union there will be overtime and that's time and a half with double time on Sunday.

Backflow certification is easy... usually a three to five day course with a Mickey Mouse test is all there is to that.

But back to the original post... if someone wants to work alone, be away from an office, not be micromanaged and not have a boss breathing down your throat this is a perfect job IMHO.

Hmm, ok. I'm in the NYC/NJ area, how realistic is this for me? is it best to be around Texas and other states?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times
NICET4: Are there any companies that offer apprenticeships in FS Design/Inspection?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I thought the OP meant "walking around outside." Yes, as a night psych RN, I stalk the halls a lot, checking on people all night long, but it doesn't exactly feel like an outdoor stroll.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
NICET4: Are there any companies that offer apprenticeships in FS Design/Inspection?
Three years ago you could grab one just by walking in and showing an interest but not anymore.

Three community colleges across the country that off courses that I know of; Delaware, Illinois and Washington state. All three offer FS design and I believe the Washington state school offers inspection bu. There might be a couple more I don't know about but I kind of doubt that. This is what makes it near 100% employment. It is 100% employment for inspections.

Given a choice I would go with layout/design for a variety of reasons.

Pay is better usually $5 to $15 an hour more for experience. Figuring an average of $8 that's $16,000 more per year.

In all states I am familiar with certified layout technicians can perform inspections but certified inspectors can not perform layout. If new construction really got bad, as in nothing for me to do, I can always do inspections even if it means a drop in pay which would be from $38 to maybe $25 and while that would suck $25 is better than unemployment.

I am willing to bet few visiting this forum can fathom the tightness of the market for certified inspectors. It really is unbelievable and all you have to do is perform a google search for nicet sprinkler inspection jobs and see for yourself.

New York and New Jersey for example.

As of April 2009 New Jersey had a 40 Level II inspectors and 2 Level III inspections on the registry. New York State had 14 Level II and and 3 Level III'S on the registry.

If someone in New Jersey needs a Level III it isn't as if there possible selection pool of possible candidates is overflowing. They will be lucky to get two qualified applicants if that.

Up to date registries are vailable for order here. If you have doubts to the numbers I am giving out order a registry and count em up yourself.

Nationwide there are 1,244 Level II inspectors and 482 Level III's.
Many states, maybe the majority of states, require one RME in each office. RME means "Responsible Managing Employee" and that has to be someone certified as Level III or IV in layout... a certified inspector can not be an RME. RME's are always the very last to be laid off because the company licenses is in the RME's name. This is good because if the company is still open for business and only one employee is left that employee will be me.

Another reason I would go with layout is easier work in a physical sense. Most poeple can do inspections but it is more physical... I would say the level of physical work would be on the same level as stocking shelves at a Wal Mart if that makes sense. At age 25 no problem but once you get to be in your 50's you don't want to stock shelves anymore.

To answer the previous question about New York City.

All states have different requirements and you can find them here complete with supporting legislation.

New York New York City
  • Recognizes/requires NICET Level II Fire Alarm Systems, NICET Level III and IV Special Hazard Suppression Systems, NICET Levels II and III Automatic Sprinkler System Layout
  • Click here to link to legislation
New York has requirements for inspections but does not have requirements for inspectors. This does not mean certified inspectors are not required... insurance companies will require that for you. There's lot of liability in this work. if you want to do a couple million dollars in damages real quick this is the line of work for it, and insurance companies will require the inspections be conducted by certified inspectors.

New Jersey next door is well tied up.

State of New Jersey
  • Recognizes/requires NICET Level II Fire Alarm Systems, NICET Level II Inspection & Testing of Water Based Systems, NICET Level II Special Hazard Suppression Sysems and specific work elements for NICET Levels II, III and IV Automatic Sprinkler System Layout
  • Click here (http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/contcertreq.pdf - broken link) to link to legislation
State of Maryland
  • Recognizes/requires NICET Level II Inspection & Testing of Water Based Systems, NICET Levels II and III Automatic Sprinkler System Layout
  • Click here (http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/sprinklernotice.htm - broken link) to link to legislation
Afraid of running out of work?

My state has 85 inspectors, the state fire marshal requies annual inspections and estimates there are at least 400,000 systems. On a good day an inspector might get six inspections done and if everyday was a good day (they will not be but lets assume the best) an inspector could perform 1,500 inspectons in a year. Between you and me he'd be lucky to get half that but let's leave it at 1,500.

With 400,000 systems each inspector needs to perform 4,705 inspections a year which is impossible which is why we have 100% full employment.

For someone new it would take two years to become Level II certified and the only way to get the training is to attend one of the schools that offer courses which are very few in number. I also know class size is limited and small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment