Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,211 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am technically on 'salary continuation leave' and I was wondering how this would affect a UI claim. Will it reduce the amount I receive since I have been receiving it since I was laid off and will continue to receive it until July? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Yes severance is income. You will not receive unemployment benefits as long as you are receiving severance.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:33 PM

145 posts, read 576,456 times
It depends on the State in which you live and the terms of your termination. In NY a claimant is eligible for unemployment benefits while receiving separation-related payments. I have cut from the NY Dept of Labor web-site and pasted below an exerpt from the Frequently Asked Questions Page:

Q: Does receiving separation-related payments, such as severance pay or vacation pay, affect my benefits?

A: Generally, a claimant is eligible for unemployment insurance benefits while receiving separation-related payments. However, an individual will not be eligible for benefits if he or she continues to receive the full salary and exactly the same benefits that he or she received while working, with the understanding that the salary and benefits will stop if he or she becomes employed elsewhere. The employer’s payment of unused vacation accruals normally does not affect an individual’s eligibility for benefits.

I am sure about the NY law because I received severance and unemployment benefits simultaneously. I suggest you check out the law in your state.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
A lump sum severance payment does not disqualify you from UI in California. In fact, you can submit a claim on the day that your notification is received, even if you're on a 30 or 60-day notification period.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
A lump sum severance payment does not disqualify you from UI in California. In fact, you can submit a claim on the day that your notification is received, even if you're on a 30 or 60-day notification period.
True. And completely irrelevant, since OP has stated they will continue receiving severance pay through next July. Nor are the policies of California and New York relevant.

Taken directly from the North Carolina Employment Security Commission Website FAQs

I received separation pay (or pay, wages in lieu of notice, vacation pay, etc.). When should I file a claim?
You are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits for any full week covered by separation pay, vacation pay, etc. (nor may such a week count as your “waiting period week”). Generally, you should file your claim the first week after the period covered by the payment (if the last week of the payment is not a full week’s pay, you may file that same week, although you possibly will still be ineligible due to excessive earnings).

Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,211 times
Thx, that is what I thought also. I was getting some conflicting information from co-workers who thought you could still file for UI.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Thanks for the slap-down kodaka. I wasn't aware that only NC people were reading this thread. Hopefully the other 50 or so people who have viewed this thread are from North Carolina. Kinda figured, with the thread title, that others might peruse as well. I'll try not to waste your time on future contributions.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 AM

145 posts, read 576,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Thanks for the slap-down kodaka. I wasn't aware that only NC people were reading this thread. Hopefully the other 50 or so people who have viewed this thread are from North Carolina. Kinda figured, with the thread title, that others might peruse as well. I'll try not to waste your time on future contributions.
JTGJR:
Thanks for posting exactly what I was thinking!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I got a severance package from my job and was able to draw unemployment benefits at the same time. I know for a fact it is not a issue in the state of Texas.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I got a severance package from my job and was able to draw unemployment benefits at the same time. I know for a fact it is not a issue in the state of Texas.
Was severance offered as a lump sum? As kodaka pointed out, a check (or two) for unused vacation or severance pay is not a problem. It seems that receiving checks weekly or semimonthly at or very near (?) previous pay rate can or may disqualify someone from receiving benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment