Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

im an introvert and would rather listen and observe. is being quiet a turn off to some employers and why? I noticed whoever has the biggest mouth gets the raises. Do any introverts have more trouble finding jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
im an introvert and would rather listen and observe. is being quiet a turn off to some employers and why? I noticed whoever has the biggest mouth gets the raises. Do any introverts have more trouble finding jobs?
Might depends on the job. I've met coders who could barely speak English but they got the job done. A sales guy probably would need to be glib and an extrovert.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 55,682 times
Unfortunately, yes for the most part. I'm an introvert myself, so I know the feeling. Though all isn't lost. Since us introverts are good at listening and observing, it can work to our advantage during an interview. It took me a few tries, but it is possible to be engaging without being chatty.

One thing that I do when I'm in an interview with a potential employer that likes to make small talk, is that I pay attention to what they're saying and try to find a common ground quickly and then pounce at an opportunity to go back and forth with them. This can be anything from weather, sports, etc.

Once you start getting the hang of it, and you feel comfortable enough, and if the situation is right, you can even try to be a bit daring and sneak in a joke or two, this can score huge points with the right employer.

Also, it's not all roses for extroverts either. I've heard of people totally bombing out during the interview process because they took over the interview and got too chatty to the point where they just came off as being obnoxious.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
I think that the interview process itself can be a bit more challenging for the introverts but I have seen lots of introverted folks in high-level positions where technical abilities is far more important versus communication skills.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
It depends on the job but introverts don't really have a problem if they prepare themselves for an interview and present themselves well.

In some ways an introvert has the advantage because one thing you shouldn't do an interview is reveal too much, start chatting away or trying to make it all about yourself. Introverts naturally will dress appropriately and understand that the employer is looking for what the individual can do for the business.

Obviously some jobs require more extroverted people so they wouldn't look for introverts.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
More important is that you give the person who is interviewing you what they need.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
it depends on the job, as others have stated previously.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Ditto! There are employers who would either be threatened by a person who might be more popular than he, or want a robotic person. On the others hand, if the job entails an independent worker, being outgoing might be a bonus. Just be yourself or you'll not be happy with any subsequent choices.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM

48 posts, read 144,633 times
Quote:
Visitor Number 1 is right. You will eventually feel comfortable during interviews as long you know how to listen to the interviewer before answering. You will get the hang of it soon! It also depends on the job you are applying for. If you will be meeting people, then you should be extrovert but if you will be working inside the office facing the computer then I guess being introvert would be ok. Hence, employers will usually see to it that you have the skills that are necessary for the job you are applying for.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. Not just in the interviewing/job search stage, but all throughout one's career.

At least in most jobs, there are definitely exceptions like research labs where it is often looked down upon to be too outgoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment