Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering how hard should a person work for $10 an hour?
I'm temping, expected to do everything the full time person is doing, yet I am only making $10. The person who assigns most of my work keeps expecting more and more out of me. Any time I say anything like "no" he just kind of looks confused and ignores me. He's been a boss his whole life, no idea about the billion things old what's her name did to keep the office (one person) running.
I know people will push you until you say ENOUGH, and I'm getting to that point. Seriously, I don't make enough to think about this job one second at home.
I am not just talking about answering phones and taking messages, but full blow office work-- taking minutes, dealing with hundreds of customers,--filing, and a million other things. This job should seriously pay $15 an hour at the least. The busy season is coming so it's only going to get worse. They have me doing the work of 3 people and three special projects they want in addition..Any suggestions? Should I talk to the lady at the agency who pays my check? Speak to the head boss? (he told me to come to him if I had a problem with this other guy), go to HR? Just zone out till the end of my few weeks is up? I really cannot just zone out..I seriously try to do a good job so I can get a reference. I have been told by others that I am doing a good job, that I should realize I am just temp and keep going, but I really have to say something to someone.

All suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Sit down with your boss and ask him to discuss his expectations, this may give you a better idea what he is looking for. Personally I work as hard as I can no matter how much I get paid. This leads to a permanent position or a raise.

In the meantime; keep your options open, look for new opportunites.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
People generally do not work more or less "hard" based on pay. For the most part, a hard worker will work hard regardless of pay. Pay is the incentive to keep good people around, to prevent them from going to someone else, not to get them to actually do the work.

If you feel you need or want more money, talk to your employer. However your entire post is a massive red flag to me - you are a temp, and temps don't get raises.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have been wondering how hard should a person work for $10 an hour?
I'm temping, expected to do everything the full time person is doing, yet I am only making $10. The person who assigns most of my work keeps expecting more and more out of me. Any time I say anything like "no" he just kind of looks confused and ignores me. He's been a boss his whole life, no idea about the billion things old what's her name did to keep the office (one person) running.
I know people will push you until you say ENOUGH, and I'm getting to that point. Seriously, I don't make enough to think about this job one second at home.
I am not just talking about answering phones and taking messages, but full blow office work-- taking minutes, dealing with hundreds of customers,--filing, and a million other things. This job should seriously pay $15 an hour at the least. The busy season is coming so it's only going to get worse. They have me doing the work of 3 people and three special projects they want in addition..Any suggestions? Should I talk to the lady at the agency who pays my check? Speak to the head boss? (he told me to come to him if I had a problem with this other guy), go to HR? Just zone out till the end of my few weeks is up? I really cannot just zone out..I seriously try to do a good job so I can get a reference. I have been told by others that I am doing a good job, that I should realize I am just temp and keep going, but I really have to say something to someone.

All suggestions welcome.
Well, you asked for all suggestions....If this is only going to last for 2 weeks and you are going to be getting more assignments from your agency, I'd suggest sucking it up with a smile.

What on earth are you going to talk to the head boss about? That you think the job should pay $5 more per hour? He will look at you like you have 2 heads. They are paying $10 per hour, you took the assignment. If you don't like the conditions leave. I really hope you take this advice.

Also, I know you are here to vent...I get that. However, I bet you let this attitude show at work. This will not serve you well in life. I've been in office situations where the clerical staff had this type of attitude. They always got fired. Clerical/admin jobs usually suck. There are many,many people that will fill the position for $10 and be pretty sanguine about the pay/conditions.

Why not get out of this type of work and do something else? I can nearly guarantee that you will have this situation come up over and over again....You thinking that the job is more important than it is, wondering why nobody else notices this fact, then inwardly steaming because you are not getting paid enough and feeling that you are too smart to being doing grunt work. I think you need to find work that is more in tune to you. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
When I was in college I did some temp work and my experience was that the first couple of jobs really stunk until the temp agency got an idea of what kind of worker you are. That's what happened to me. I had to work a couple of really bad temp jobs and once the agency figured out that I was a good worker they sent me to a long term assignment that was the easiest $10 an hour I ever made

Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
When I was in college I did some temp work and my experience was that the first couple of jobs really stunk until the temp agency got an idea of what kind of worker you are. That's what happened to me. I had to work a couple of really bad temp jobs and once the agency figured out that I was a good worker they sent me to a long term assignment that was the easiest $10 an hour I ever made
I agree with this - I had the same experience.

Also, if you only have a few more weeks, then why does it matter if the busy season is coming up? Doesn't sound like you'll be around much for that. The way I see it, you work from 9am (for example) to 5pm. Whatever hats they have you wearing during that time to keep you busy shouldn't matter. If they had you working extra hours you weren't getting paid for that would be another issue.
I guess I'm just a little confused as to how you could be doing the work of three people. Unless they are upset that you aren't getting everything done that they ask you to do and there just isn't enough time in the day for one person to do it, then who cares if one minute you are filing, the next minute you are dealing with customers? I guess they want to keep you busy in between answering phones and taking messages.
I can't even imagine saying "no" to a boss. You're real issue is with the temp agency really. If you don't like the position or the amount of work expected for $10/hour, then talk to them about expectations for future placement.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
You can ask your temp agency to increase your pay. Maybe they won't give you as much of an increase as you want, but if you explain to them why you want an increase they might give you one. The temp agency is probably paying the company about $15 an hour for you.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:16 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Heck, these days, no matter where, 10 bucks an hour should be the least ANY employer pays anyone!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
as wages go up the expectations go down. hardest expectations i have ever endured were for 7 bucks an hour.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
work hard and do what is expected of you and someone will take notice and reward you with higher pay or promotion in the future. Always give your 100%, no matter what the pay. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment