Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times

Advertisements

For the past year, our company has had a a mid 20s HR generalist who was pretty chill, actually kind of immature and wasn't that efficient in handling conflict resolution, nor did she lift a finger when I made simple requests like asking for info about another department. At times she made me wait 6 weeks for info, she's blamed employees on her own payroll errors, ignores concerns even when an employee was having productivity issues (and they had a solution, etc.)
I wonder how I should bid her farewell, if at all?

The good news is that our HR manager who is friendlier and wholesome (the all American girl), is returning from maternity leave soon. I can't wait! She's sweet and motherly (she is a mom after all), has a nice smile and friendly voice. She was around when I first got hired back in 2006 (yup, same company for 4 years...just part time though, so it's not that impressive) and while we didn't really talk much, I'd like to start fresh with her.

Any ideas on how to break the ice? I want to get on her good side, butter her up and eventually make a request to get a telecommuting privilege due to medical reasons. I didn't fully trust the temp generalist who dragged her feet, and it seems my wish for the manager to return will finally come true.
But I want to make a good impression...remain professional of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
when you attempt to butter they know it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Agreed with Huckleberry--- also-- HR is usually not in the business of showing partiality to people who they are "sweet" with or are friendly with.

In fact (as someone who works in HR-- albeit not a generalist), I tend to even be more close lipped and unhelpful to those I am friends with so that I could never be accused of being partial to my friends.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,848 times
You are better off making a good impression on your boss. If you want to telecommute, his support will likely be one of the biggest factors.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
She's a returning manager - you already HAD your shot at impressing her and apparently you blew it then.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Since this person is returning, treating them remarkably different than you did before is going to be a huge red flag and will likely have the opposite effect from what you intend. They will know you are just trying to get something out of them.

Let this situation serve as a reminder--always treat people with kindness. Don't treat anyone like they are a glorified secretary, or a mere assistant, or less important because their job is an 'overhead' expense. The word thank you is probably the most powerful word a person can say. Don't be condescending to someone just because they are younger than you--there will always be someone younger than you, just like you will always be younger than someone else.

And people who handle additional duties while someone is on maternity leave deserve extra admiration and respect. It is a miserable job. They don't get paid extra. They don't get a title to reflect their additional responsibilities. They don't even get a thank you from management or anyone else for stepping up. They definitely don't get a thank you from the person who is leaving for a few months. And when that person comes back, they get demoted to their old role as if they had done nothing. These people especially need extra thanks and consideration.

If you treat people with kindness all the time, you don't have to repair relationships later when you need a favor from them.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
I don't get it. Generally, your boss decides if you have telecommuting privilege

HR folks just push buttons. They take orders. They don't get to decide. Even if you butter "mommy" up, she's gonna place a call to your boss once you leave the scene and she's got all butter off on Kleenex

Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,095,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I wonder how I should bid her farewell, if at all?

The good news is that our HR manager who is friendlier and wholesome (the all American girl), is returning from maternity leave soon. I can't wait!
There are a few things that seem foggy: Why would you even care to "bid farewell" to someone you can't stand? What are you thinking? Take her to lunch? Buy a cake and gather the co-workers around? You obviusly don't like her so how about doing nothing? She won't even notice anything about you when she leaves.

And what's up the sugar-coating sweetness over the somewhat-familiar-returning HR mom? Sorry, this sounds really phoney and everyone hates the two-faced co-worker.

Also, it isn't clear as to why you're relying on this HR person for telecommuting.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
- Favouring any employee is not good HRM practice. If she cottons on that you are trying to butter her up, then it could backfire. Yes, be nice, but don't do it only to receive a reward. Typically, rewards are arranged by managers in consequence from good performance, or recognition for good work.

- If the old HR person was incompetent, is there really your business? Most personnel in a firm have little direct contact with HR professionals, unless they are asking for an employee record (obviously nothing confidential from the HRIS), asking about the current month's pay, filing a grievance procedure, etc.

- If you want telecommuting, then you really should approach your immediate supervisor before going to the HR professional.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
- If you want telecommuting, then you really should approach your immediate supervisor before going to the HR professional.
I've already asked my supervisor and she said no. Manager= same answer, several times. In fact he said it's a closed issue and won't discuss it further. Yet others do get the telecommuting privilege and I don't. That's where I was hoping that HR could step in and overrule the bosses' decision. But it would help if I was on the HR rep's good side. No one likes helping their foes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment