Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM

110 posts, read 995,001 times

Advertisements

Lets say I have a half dozen local employment agencies. Is there any way to determine which of those is most reputable to work with if all I have to go on is their webpage? I only want to apply to one or two of them (for reasons discussed in the other thread on references).

And are local private agencies better than the big national ones?

I'm considering: Select Staffing, Westaff, Helping Hands, Office Team, Aerotek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Office Team and Aerotek are nationwide agencies. I have never heard of the others; usually if you go with a well known agency you won't have any trouble. Be advised that in most cases for temp work you must be exclusive to one agency only.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Be advised that in most cases for temp work you must be exclusive to one agency only.
Can you explain?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Office Team and Aerotek are nationwide agencies. I have never heard of the others; usually if you go with a well known agency you won't have any trouble. Be advised that in most cases for temp work you must be exclusive to one agency only.
Where is that?

Not in NYC.

You can be signed up with as many temp agencies as you want to and work for as many as you want to.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
Lets say I have a half dozen local employment agencies. Is there any way to determine which of those is most reputable to work with if all I have to go on is their webpage? I only want to apply to one or two of them (for reasons discussed in the other thread on references).

And are local private agencies better than the big national ones?

I'm considering: Select Staffing, Westaff, Helping Hands, Office Team, Aerotek.

Good employment Agencies are hard to find just like jobs and I ended up being creative and that led to a good agency finding me. So try to post a partial resume on Craiglist and put in the title what type of work experience you have.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where is that?

Not in NYC.

You can be signed up with as many temp agencies as you want to and work for as many as you want to.
That may be the case in NYC but it is not so where I live. Imagine "deep south".

Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM

Anyone else? I'm looking at agencies in Florida.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
Anyone else? I'm looking at agencies in Florida.
I would ordinarily say apply at all of them in this economy, because many employment agencies just don't have any jobs, but you said you only wanted to apply to two, so:

Try the two big nationals first (Office Team and Aerotek).

If you don't get any assignments, then apply to the next 2 on your list.

And so on.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That may be the case in NYC but it is not so where I live. Imagine "deep south".
How deep? How about as deep south as Jackson, Mississippi in the 1980s? (The reason I mention that place is my uncle used to live there in the 1980s and he said there was still a restaurant, I think it was called "The Clock," where blacks had to get their food at a takeout window in the back and could not eat inside the restaurant. He also said the KKK would march around frequently and force blacks and whites to accept their literature handouts.)

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How deep? How about as deep south as Jackson, Mississippi in the 1980s? (The reason I mention that place is my uncle used to live there in the 1980s and he said there was still a restaurant, I think it was called "The Clock," where blacks had to get their food at a takeout window in the back and could not eat inside the restaurant. He also said the KKK would march around frequently and force blacks and whites to accept their literature handouts.)
No, not that "deep" south. I'm in South Carolina; that's probably enough for some of you to understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment