Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Everything isn't pure economics; there's also the social/psychological aspects of being separated from their mother. And what if the grandma was deceased or unable to care for the kids? Should they just be given up for adoption? I heard this did happen in the 1930's, but in terms of progress as a society, I'd like to think "that was 70-80 years ago").

Actually, annerk, I'm curious, do you have children?
Yes, I do.

So my friend made a choice to take a job with excellent potential for advancement or become homeless and go on welfare. The downside is that it's across the country and she had to leave her children behind for up to a year until she can afford to save the money to rent a place big enough for them all.

Tell me--how is that any different from someone in ther armed forces? Do you think they are all bad parents because they deploy for a year--or more--and leave their children behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Very, very good point!

[quote=annerk;12940874]You missed the point, or simply chose to ignore it.

And the reason I've got a big bank account is because I've handled my money carefully and lived well below my means for a long time. Many people I know who lived large for a long time are now paying the piper with foreclosed homes and bakruptcies. Am I really supposed to feel bad for them?[/QUOTE]

Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, I do.

So my friend made a choice to take a job with excellent potential for advancement or become homeless and go on welfare. The downside is that it's across the country and she had to leave her children behind for up to a year until she can afford to save the money to rent a place big enough for them all.

Tell me--how is that any different from someone in ther armed forces? Do you think they are all bad parents because they deploy for a year--or more--and leave their children behind?
Good point, but again, what if she had no way to leave her children behind? With the armed forced analogy, she would probably be rejected by the armed forces if she had no option. Do we just abandoned these kids? I realize that the majority of people would NOT have that situation and if not their own parents will have some sort of safety net in their social circle, be it other relatives, good friends, etc. but there are some people like I describe.

I don't think they are bad parents for leaving their kids behind (heck, though only 120 miles away, I spent weekdays this summer away from my family on a temporary assignment so I know what you're saying more than you think), but the point is if they don't have options what do they do?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Good approach once I move somewhere that has companies and jobs. There is nothing here except mountains and legislation against businesses. I am never living in a small town EVER again.
I agree with you Gypsy. As long as the government continues to instill nervousness in businesses, they will hold back from hiring and expanding. Everytime Nobama opens his mouth and inserts a shoe, the stock market teeters and drops. Each time that happens, our retirement loses a little more...makes everyone nervous. The government should be kinder to businesses...big AND small, especially the small ones. Until that happens, we must learn to reinvent ourselves somehow. Those without jobs should think of how to build on their existing skills and channel it to other endeavors without having to take drastic steps (e.g. get a new degree, take a massive pay cut, etc. etc.). Those with jobs shouldn't ever ever let their guards down and should always have a plan in case a layoff happens while you still have a job. I just started a new job yesterday, and I already have the wheels going if this one goes south. I can't ever relax, one should never be complacent anymore. It truly sucks, but it is what it is!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Good point, but again, what if she had no way to leave her children behind? With the armed forced analogy, she would probably be rejected by the armed forces if she had no option. Do we just abandoned these kids? I realize that the majority of people would NOT have that situation and if not their own parents will have some sort of safety net in their social circle, be it other relatives, good friends, etc. but there are some people like I describe.

I don't think they are bad parents for leaving their kids behind (heck, though only 120 miles away, I spent weekdays this summer away from my family on a temporary assignment so I know what you're saying more than you think), but the point is if they don't have options what do they do?
They live in poverty on welfare. But as you admitted, there is a very, very small group of people in that situation. Most people who don't want to move for "family reasons" can, they just don't want to. Big difference.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Well, I'm confident that my wife will find a permanent job and I will get at least a part-time job. We will continue to "cutback" on certain things, but we sure aren't going to move......."NO WAY, NO HOW" (besides that, we just can't financially). We don't live the "Good Life", but we do live descent and that's all we need ("that's all we need"......yea, right, just what the He** am I saying/thinking here)!
Anyway, I really wish I had a magic wand to "wave" all of these unemployment problems away BUT, "sorry, no such thing available!" However, we are Americans and we WILL make it!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

In fact, in many workplacces here in Europe we are even able to talk openly about these social problems and even express grumpiness and indignation about things like "mass layoffs" and how these things are impacting our fellow countryment--so long as we keep it kinda "light and jokey." I would never do this if I were working in America.
I haven't read beyond this so I'm sure this was addressed but umm, what the heck? Why would you never do this if you were working in the US? Are you quite certain you are the worldly soul you seem to want us to believe you are?

That's just weird. Am I just missing something from another of your posts, perhaps? Do you imagine American workers to be scurrying to and fro in silent concentration, shaking with fear that the hammer will fall next upon them if they do not run the maze in record time?

I just realized almost everything in my message was a question. I think that is quite possibly a first. I'm just sort of baffled. Like this:

Last edited by Wordy; 02-17-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 07:19 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
And one more thing. Since Gypsy asked for Annerk not to be maligned in this thread (otherwise I would leave it alone), it seems that the vast, vast majority of unemployed on this forum are Americans. At the very least, they are almost exclusively living and/or working in the United States. Annerk seems to be an American with a few decades of American work experience. I find her contribution to be more valuable than that of one who lives and works thousands of miles away (yes?) and who seems only to want to turn this discussion political by creating a sort of straw man construct and using it to bash those whose political views are in opposition.

So what if she did like Rush Limbaugh? I haven't heard more than 5 minutes of what the man has had to say in at least the last 5-10 years, but that doesn't make him Satan, for heaven's sake.

Oh, and let me get it out there right now: I am a Republican. I have never been anything but a Republican or a child. And (brace yourself now) I have analyzed the theory of manmade global warming/climate change/whatever the goalposts have been changed to this month and found it to be quite the largest load of bullcrap since they gave the Nobel Peace Prize to Yasser Arafat. Just thought I'd throw that in there so you'd be able to nod your head with the collective wisdom of your vast worldly knowledge that I am one of, you know, those people.

Now, call me unsympathetic to the people on this forum by virtue of my philosopical beliefs and political leanings--it'd have to be based on that because it sure can't be from anything I've ever posted here. Call me a dense red-state dweller. Call me sadly misinformed. I'm sure you'll think of something.

At the end of the day, though, we can get back to Gypsy's essential question: What is anyone going to do? I sure wish there was something one person could do to fix this. I think it is going to be a lot of people doing little somethings over a ghastly span of time which already seems interminable.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, I do.

It isn't any different.

Sometimes you got to do what you got to do the Constitution guarantees you the right to pursue happiness but not to obtain it.

For nearly two years my wife and I lived 850 miles apart. I went home every long weekend, a 12 hour drive each way, leaving a couple hours early on Friday arriving Saturday morning 3:00 AM. I would leave mid afternoon on Monday to arrive back by 3:00 AM Tuesday morning ready to be at work at 8:00. Once I left mid-afternoon on Christmas day.

For living I rented a small studio apartment living a style I hadn't lived since 30 years before but we had a goal and to reach it that is what we had to do.

That's a hardship? Not hardly. How soft have we become when I think of the men off to the battlefields of the Pacific, North Africa and Europe during WW2 when men went off to war in early 1942 not to see their families again until late 1945.

As to the mess we find ourselves in, blame who you want but it is a mess of our own making, I think we will come out the better for it being wiser, more frugal and less stupid.

But back to the original question that started the thread. Sorry but some "jobs" as they were will never come back and if you were in one you need to find something else to do. Realtors and mortgage brokers are two "professions" that might still be around but it will be a long time, if ever, before they become their former selves.

I would also be leery of anything that could be off shored because if it can I suspect it will be.

As far as IT stuff, I am speaking as an amateur, a good living and career can be had but you better be top notch at what you do and you better keep your skills current because gone forever are the days an HTML "programmer" made $100k.

Construction trades will be good again but not him home building.

Classical engineering would be good but you are looking at a minimum 4-5 years college in an area most people couldn't do.

You could always start a business in something you know but be prepared to work 80 hours a week for what you used to work 40 hours for. Don't start a restaurant if you've never worked in one.

Many will require education but get into something few others are going into. I see a glut of teachers and RN's some distance into the future. Lawyers, huge glut right now (as if we need more of them) and I know through a family friend many lawyers are slobbering after $35,000 jobs so they can service their $100,000 student loans. That has to suck.

But all that said we really aren't that bad off.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Back to the OP's original query:

Quote:
I'm just wondering what is going to happen to everyone.
Anyone else think we will see rise in crime? I was just thinking about the story I read the other day about the (unarmed ) 73 year old man who started robbing banks.....to pay his mortgage (oh the irony!) . The amounts he took were almost embarassingly small. He wasn't greedy; just wanted to keep a roof over his head.

And what about true, unfettered capitalism? The idea of less regulation has been tossed about on this thread and others. Sex, drugs and violence tend to be profitable . If we are going to open up the market to all comers, we are in for a bumpy ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment