Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 33,925 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to hear from anyone who can give me advice on my career. I am in college and was originally going to pursue education which would lead me to the IT field. I'd probably end up with a specialization in networking or security. I'm at the point right now where I could change my mind without it costing me much.

My question is, would it be waste of my time and money to get a degree in IT because of outsourcing to India, china, etc.? I just would like to have a job after I graduate. Some people tell me not to do it, others say to go for it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Overall the network security field isn't subject to offshore outsourcing, and by it's very nature in most cases won't be. I think you're plenty safe.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 33,925 times
Thanks, that's a good point. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Outsourcing in IT isn't as huge as the media makes it out to be. I am a computer programmer and I actually got my job when my company let our offshore contractors go (too difficult/inefficient to manage someone several thousand miles away). IT isn't the mecca it was in the early 90's, but it is still a very solid, growing industry. From what I have seen people who worry about IT outsourcing are those who don't know much about the industry.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:43 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Outsourcing has changed in the past few years in the US. Its now called Contracting. What basically happens is that an entire section of IT employees get laid off by the main company. But some are given a choice. The choice is either go on unemployment or work for a company that has been contracted to fill your positions in the same area you just got terminated from. That company is a separate entiity in itself and usually ends up in the same building. But heres the snag your new payrate is 1/2 to 2/3 of your current pay and even you are in the same building you have none of the benefits of working for that company anymore. With this new company within a company some get re-hired here and the rest end up in India. So when you graduate into this field just be aware the payrates may be lower then they are now. I'm in the higher end of Data Security, so I've watched this happen. So my advice to you is make sure your cerifications are always up to date.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Outsourcing in IT isn't as huge as the media makes it out to be. I am a computer programmer and I actually got my job when my company let our offshore contractors go (too difficult/inefficient to manage someone several thousand miles away). IT isn't the mecca it was in the early 90's, but it is still a very solid, growing industry. From what I have seen people who worry about IT outsourcing are those who don't know much about the industry.

To the OP -- do not be misled by this post or other glib "feelgood" posts like it.

Please review the following links to the website of a Computer Scientist, author, and professor of Computer Science who is an expert in this area. He is a brave and brilliant man who has testified before Congress, written numerous articles on the topic (including a law review article, even though he is not an attorney) and had communication over the years with thousands of people who work, used to work, or want to work (namely his students -- comp sci majors) in the IT industry.

</title> <title>Additional Materials Related to Norm Matloff's "Debunking the Myth of a Desperate Software Labor Shortage"

Norm Matloff's H-1B Web Page: cheap labor, age discrimation, offshoring

Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Outsourcing has changed in the past few years in the US. Its now called Contracting. What basically happens is that an entire section of IT employees get laid off by the main company. But some are given a choice. The choice is either go on unemployment or work for a company that has been contracted to fill your positions in the same area you just got terminated from. That company is a separate entiity in itself and usually ends up in the same building. But heres the snag your new payrate is 1/2 to 2/3 of your current pay and even you are in the same building you have none of the benefits of working for that company anymore. With this new company within a company some get re-hired here and the rest end up in India. So when you graduate into this field just be aware the payrates may be lower then they are now. I'm in the higher end of Data Security, so I've watched this happen. So my advice to you is make sure your cerifications are always up to date.
Thanks for confirming what I have been hearing lately.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoom View Post
Just wanted to hear from anyone who can give me advice on my career. I am in college and was originally going to pursue education which would lead me to the IT field. I'd probably end up with a specialization in networking or security. I'm at the point right now where I could change my mind without it costing me much.

My question is, would it be waste of my time and money to get a degree in IT because of outsourcing to India, china, etc.? I just would like to have a job after I graduate. Some people tell me not to do it, others say to go for it.

Thoughts?
This was just posted on the Unemployment sub-forum. It does not speak to outsourcing, but does illustrate the labor market problem in IT right now:

I am 27 with a BS in Computer Science. The company I worked for doing computer programming, database administration, Windows Server Administration, and tech support went out of business with no warning back in May 2009. I have submitted over 300 resumes. Had my resume looked over numerous times. And still have not found anything. The job that I did have I took a serious pay cut(50%) from what the average salary is. I am in Northern NJ. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything. I spent all of my savings trying to take care of basic needs. Got rid of cable television. I have 2 luxuries. The internet, which is to search for jobs. And I have a car on finance hoping I will be able to pay off. The part of NJ I live in have buses however, to get anywhere I would have to get up at 4 am...

For Those Unemployed, Poll. What Type of Work Do You Do and How Long Have You Been Unemployed?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
To the OP -- do not be misled by this post or other glib "feelgood" posts like it.

Please review the following links to the website of a Computer Scientist, author, and professor of Computer Science who is an expert in this area. He is a brave and brilliant man who has testified before Congress, written numerous articles on the topic (including a law review article, even though he is not an attorney) and had communication over the years with thousands of people who work, used to work, or want to work (namely his students -- comp sci majors) in the IT industry.

</title> <title>Additional Materials Related to Norm Matloff's "Debunking the Myth of a Desperate Software Labor Shortage"

Norm Matloff's H-1B Web Page: cheap labor, age discrimation, offshoring
Could you be any more rude?

I am speaking from personal experience. I know this is an anonymous forum and you can say whatever you want, but to blatantly dismiss someone who has first hand experience is nothing short of rude.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Could you be any more rude?

I am speaking from personal experience. I know this is an anonymous forum and you can say whatever you want, but to blatantly dismiss someone who has first hand experience is nothing short of rude.
If and when I do something to you that merits an apology, you can be sure one will be forthcoming. Today is not that day.

Your glibness has a context, to wit: your deliberate choice to ignore the evidence about the IT job market, which has been presented to you on this very forum on a number of occasions and from various sources.

OP doesn't know your track record on this, which is also part of your "personal experience," unless he searches the archives, but I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment