Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This is why you should not talk (beyond small talk) to uneducated minorities at work.
Oh, she should talk to uneducated whites?

I love message boards. You see the most ignorant people voice their opinion.

I guess this is they only place someone will listen to them.

hahahahahaha!

Last edited by Ron.; 02-23-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
see frame #40
hate doesnt care what target it just needs one.
the justification of much acting out of violence in urban areas is --victimization at the hands of an oppressive white society. i agree with you, where is the logic???, there are no whites present, how did the white folks make him rape and kill other black folk? still the hate and blame is directed towards the anglos and that is racism. this OP is a small example of that racisim working itself into the work place.
the simmering pot of it that is kept on the stove nurtured and stirred, on the hood, 24/7.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,425 times
I feel sorry for the OP. We spend too much of our days at work and to have to deal with a negative work atmosphere from someone with mental issues of some sorts is stressful. I am AA and I know if a white person would have called a black person any type of derogatory name it would be all over the news!! Sadly some of my people are still going around with this "the white man holding me down" mentality and our racial issues are two sided. I would say sit down and have a one on one with the woman but sounds like that is out of the question.

OP I would go to work with my head held high and a good attitude and let her see you are not about to play this stupid little game with her. If you didn't steal anything let her accuse you all day long. But as someone else stated these situations can get out of hand and dangerous.

I hope it all works out and gets better before it gets too out of hand.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I feel sorry for the OP. We spend too much of our days at work and to have to deal with a negative work atmosphere from someone with mental issues of some sorts is stressful. I am AA and I know if a white person would have called a black person any type of derogatory name it would be all over the news!! Sadly some of my people are still going around with this "the white man holding me down" mentality and our racial issues are two sided. I would say sit down and have a one on one with the woman but sounds like that is out of the question.

OP I would go to work with my head held high and a good attitude and let her see you are not about to play this stupid little game with her. If you didn't steal anything let her accuse you all day long. But as someone else stated these situations can get out of hand and dangerous.

I hope it all works out and gets better before it gets too out of hand.

No it would not have been.

MOST blacks don't think whites are "holding them down". You don't even hear poor blacks talk like that anymore. That thought process was from the 60's political era. Blacks don't even say dumb sh*t like that.

Will you stop making stuff up?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My other black co workers don't like her very much so it is not like she has them on her side. She just have something against everybody I guess.
I'd do everything through HR and make sure everything is documented. She could be unbalanced, a little schizo or one of those borderline personality types and who knows what she might do. If she's paranoid, don't let yourself become a victim. Distance yourself. It's probably something she can't consciously control.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
per #44, ron, to say that this stuff does not happen would be to deny much of my experience.
i have been present in the work place when blatant racial slurs and verbal threats were made to anglo staff, in front of a group of clients and employees and management, and nothing happened to the AA at all, in fact the anglo was reprimanded for not "handling it". nothing amazing here ron, same stuff that goes on daily in K12. i am a little surprised by your denial-- that this stuff happens frequently. btw beautiful post #43 caligur you got rep.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
I think race relations are more dominant in certain parts of the country then others. Here in Memphis race is a huge thing. I moved here from Tacoma, WA and before then I lived in Sweden. Well, I guess you all can guess the culture shock! I didn't grow up in a black and white world so this is new to me.
Anyhow, I called my Manager yesterday on his day off. I asked him about today and what is going to happen from now on. He told me that when this girl comes in to work in the afternoon, we will all have a meeting in the HR office and he assured me it will all be ok. I would not have to work with her today.
All I really want from all this is to leave it behind me. I want our Loss Prevention manager to be present so he can assure her, nobody has been steeling from her
I want my name cleared. If she then thinks I still is out to get her, then it is out of my hands completely. I have done everything I can to make it right.
I do not want her fired. She is a single mom and I know she needs a job. But something needs to be done. I hope today will turn out good.

I am willing to forgive but not forget. If she gave me a censer apology, that would be a good start, but I doubt that will happen. We'll see I guess.

Thanks to all of you

Old 02-24-2010, 06:29 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
LOL.........you don't know these clients. It's not only me that get called names. The white staff do as well. We deal with the "rock bottom" of society. The guys that get to my shelter have really jammed themselves up in life. I am talking murders, sex offenders, repeat convicted fellons, ACTIVE drug and alcohol abusers.

You better believe they use the word N*GGER! It's no big deal to me because I know what I am dealing with. Just because one calls me that name does not mean he's a racist, he's just trying to tick me off. People in the situations I deal with on top of being drunk, they'll say anything. Talk to someone that works in a nursing home, you'll hear the same stories.

It's like a Cop that get calls all kinds of horrible names. I am sure it's no big deal to them because of the type of people they deal with.

Don't take my words out of context, nor am I saying the OP is not justified with her feelings.
I did not know that you worked with felons and the like. You said clients and I was picturing a business setting. You should have said something like patients or parolees, something to that effect.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Glass of Merlot-

I think you are handling it just right. Consider the source and try to ignore her. She will tighten her own noose.

I was accused of calling one of my staff a racial slur after her was terminated shortly after I arrived. His termination was in the works before I came. He reported me to EEOC. The funny thing is that he didn't know that my GD, whom I am raising, is bi-racial and that I was instrumental in getting her school to obtain curriculum from Teach Tolerance to address the race-related issues that they were experiencing. I provided HR with copies of e-mails that I had sent to the school going back a year and a half bringing up the issue and that was the end of it.

It sounds as though everyone at your job has her number. Hope your meeting goes well today.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I did not know that you worked with felons and the like. You said clients and I was picturing a business setting. You should have said something like patients or parolees, something to that effect.
Yeah, I should have been more clear.

Point taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment