Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,439 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this situation is unique to the company I work for, or whether this is standard practice in today's corporations? I've worked at one place for a few years. My colleagues and I have asked for "refresher" coaching. Supervisors have promised it, but it never happened. In my annual performance review, management indicated they expected me to continue improving my knowledge of our products and services, via training.
In a recent team meeting with the supervisor, she announced that following feedback about her to the manager (in a "rate your supervisor" type of survey) this year, they would set up training for current employees. Great.

But then when I asked about it recently, they asked, what training do you need? In the past I made suggestions to quiz people with a standard questionnaire, but the manager said he fails to see the value in this, because things change. But some things, tools, processes, remain standard.

I don't really understand why management would announce that training would be provided, but then when someone asks about it, it's like they blame the one person for asking. I wish our company had a dedicated training department / trainer that was available to current employees, not just one person who coaches new recruits only.

What's your experience with one the job training? Should we lower our expectations and just expect a day or two when we're hired, then never again - and just learn on our own, in our free time? Basically work (train) for free? This seems to be my only alternative now , logging into our CRM software, checking resolved tickets belonging to others, surfing our web sites, because my managers refuse to expand my part time schedule and set up training sessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I emphatically say "yes". I'm in a service industry. The sales force brings in the clients and we provide the services. I have virtually no training. I ask questions that are never answered. The only feedback I get is when the client complains about something being done incorrectly and then I get an email from my manager berating me.

I also work a p/t job at night--again professional services. Again, very little, if any training. My managers at both places manage, period. They have no idea what I do or how to do it. If I make a mistake, they berate me, but offer no support/no training/really very little feedback.

I think my job description at this point is something along the lines of keep the client happy....and figure it out on your own time.

Lately, I've been getting great reviews. I do it by acting confident and pretending to know the answers. I focus all of my time on the activities that generate the most money. They love it.

IMO, employee development is a thing of the past. I don't have a career path. I'm just hanging out here til I find something better. I expect that is how it will be for the rest of my working life: offering my services to the highest bidder. Learning on my own.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 PM

17 posts, read 33,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Lately, I've been getting great reviews. I do it by acting confident and pretending to know the answers. I focus all of my time on the activities that generate the most money. They love it.

IMO, employee development is a thing of the past. I don't have a career path. I'm just hanging out here til I find something better. I expect that is how it will be for the rest of my working life: offering my services to the highest bidder. Learning on my own.
Bande, you are the kind of person I'd love to have on my team. I spend a lot of my time doing one-on-one mentoring and group training and everyone benefits from it.

Most corporations have stopped training due to costs long enough ago that current managers no longer know what it could mean. Additionally, cutbacks at all levels of staffing means that everyone is scrambling to fill several positions to keep their jobs. It's a total zoo out there.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:25 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
From my experience the only industries that do any training of any sort anymore are teaching (with their many "professional development" seminars) and (very very occasionally) IT and customer service

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Right now screw the job training companies are doing whatever they can to just stay in business.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
Customer Service has become a training joke. I feel on the job training is a thing of the past. Usually some companies put someone in charge of customer service training that knows less than the people they are to be training. One of the companies I used to work for spent about 2hrs a day in training and the other 6hrs a day playing stupid games or watching dumb utube videos. That time should have been spent learning their computer programs and learning how to correctly assist the customers that called in regarding their sattelite(sp?) dishes. Job training today consists soley of a couple of weeks of learning company policy and how great the company is then you are thrown out to the wolves to sink or swim and Lord help you if you need additional training they look at you like you are a complete idiot or treat you like a leper if you maybe don't pick something up in a nano-second. Half the time the one that is doing the training doesn't know squat themselves. OK I am done with the rant.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Defintely wasn't no training on my job, you had to basically listen, write stuff down, and read the manual.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
FACT: Customer service costs the company money. It is NOT value-added. They just want to sell you their product and have you go away. Of course, they are trying to spend as little on it as possible. Sad but true.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
FACT: Customer service costs the company money. It is NOT value-added. They just want to sell you their product and have you go away. Of course, they are trying to spend as little on it as possible. Sad but true.
When I worked in CS, we were reviled by the rest of the organization. We were the evil stepsister while the Sales Force was lauded and given all the glory.

Working CS is like warfare, every day. Someone sells a shoddy product to the consumer and it is broken, missing parts or a manual and the Customer Service Rep gets to have an earful of abuse about it.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
When I worked in CS, we were reviled by the rest of the organization. We were the evil stepsister while the Sales Force was lauded and given all the glory.

Working CS is like warfare, every day. Someone sells a shoddy product to the consumer and it is broken, missing parts or a manual and the Customer Service Rep gets to have an earful of abuse about it.
I used to work in the service department of a new car retailer. I used to joke around with the salespeople and say that it sucks to be in service because the customers go to sales, and it's like slam-bam thank you ma'am, and then they come to service and we have to have a long-term relationship with them. Customer Service is like acting, acting like you care. The illusion of caring, sold to the highest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment