Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 AM

514 posts, read 764,776 times

Advertisements

During my last performance review, I reviewed myself as a 5/5 in every category because of what I viewed as an exceptional year in terms of performance. I was subsequently given a 3/5 ("Successful Performance") and was instructed that, while I did a great job, 4 or 5s were reserved for truly exceptional performance and difficult to receive. Is this a bad sign in terms of how performance is evaluated? I don't understand the disconnect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,382,638 times
My supervisor has told me that as far as reviews, nobody gets an "outstanding", ever. He also mentioned he does not give written recommendations for those seeking either advancement within, or second jobs outside the company.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:08 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My supervisor has told me that as far as reviews, nobody gets an "outstanding", ever. He also mentioned he does not give written recommendations for those seeking either advancement within, or second jobs outside the company.
We had a manager who made the same claim. Until he hired a woman on his team that he was very smitten with and every review she received from the get-go was a solid 5-star rating.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:09 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
During my last performance review, I reviewed myself as a 5/5 in every category because of what I viewed as an exceptional year in terms of performance. I was subsequently given a 3/5 ("Successful Performance") and was instructed that, while I did a great job, 4 or 5s were reserved for truly exceptional performance and difficult to receive. Is this a bad sign in terms of how performance is evaluated? I don't understand the disconnect.
Is this the same reviewer? If so, your best bet is to raise the question. Unfortunately, there is often very little objectiveness when it comes to reviews as there are little to no metrics to go by (maybe in sales?). He/She may have simply realized that they were too lenient in the past.

I will say that in many cases though. Doing your job and doing it exceptionally well means a 3. Getting above that typically means you did more than what your job description states.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post

As a teacher for 30 years I never once, not once, ever received either an observation form or end of year evaluation without some sort of negative comments.

Those included "providing Kleenex to students", "establishing Kleenex stations around the room". I would present a lesson using all the new and improved techniques we were required to incorporate and the comments would recommend using the ones we were no longer supposed use.

One year the Principal even noted my depth of knowledge intimidated the students. This was precipitated when I answered a question that kids were having trouble figuring out and I walked them trough the steps.

So, "no one ever gets a 4 or 5" doesn't surprise me.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
That is often budget dependent, if the performance results in a pay raise. If everyone gets "outstanding" and the maximum raise it will cost them a lot of money, so managers/supervisors have to be less generous with their ratings. The perfect employee get maybe 3-4, and for 5, must have done something more that saved the company a lot of money, such as find a really big new customer, create a process that saves a lot of time or materials expense, or handle a major project under budget and before the scheduled deadline.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
There is really no rhyme nor reason for how most supervisors evaluate employees. I've been marked down where the negative comments were just cut and paste copies of other's evaluations from previous years. One supervisor retired and I got the job of cleaning out his desk. He had a folder of evaluations written by him and others that went back to the early 80s from previous jobs he'd held at other locations. In those evaluations were verbatim comments that we had been given that made no sense to any of us. All he had done as a supervisor his whole career was copy comments, job descriptions, etc randomly from his collection into his evaluations. And in that time no supervisor or HR person had caught him.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:50 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
During my last performance review, I reviewed myself as a 5/5 in every category because of what I viewed as an exceptional year in terms of performance.
Regardless of whether or not your supervisor uses the highest rating or not, you can't rate yourself all perfect scores. I don't think that's done anywhere.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Simple solution, next performance review rate yourself 3/3 on everything. Since 4 and 5 are effectively not a part of the rating scale.

Did he really say you did a "great" job? I'd ask him why I got an "average" rating then.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

973 posts, read 915,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is often budget dependent, if the performance results in a pay raise. If everyone gets "outstanding" and the maximum raise it will cost them a lot of money, so managers/supervisors have to be less generous with their ratings. The perfect employee get maybe 3-4, and for 5, must have done something more that saved the company a lot of money, such as find a really big new customer, create a process that saves a lot of time or materials expense, or handle a major project under budget and before the scheduled deadline.
That's how it is at my workplace, and many others that I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment