Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 AM

37 posts, read 118,717 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am quite new here and I am seeking for help. One month ago I filed harrasment (discrimination) against my supervisor and I got fired yesterday. I haven never been fired before and have never been in this situation. I am considering to hire a lawyer and fight it. Can anybody help me to give me advise as far as if I should pursue this or just let it go. Has anybody from HR on this board experienced this? What kind of a lawyer I should seek? My friend told me to seek lawyers for "personal injury" working on contengency. Please feel free to ask any detailed questions. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Good luck. You shouldn't have filed the complaint. Most companies won't even TOUCH you if you file a lawsuit against the former employer. Learn from this and move on, trust me.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Good luck. You shouldn't have filed the complaint. Most companies won't even TOUCH you if you file a lawsuit against the former employer. Learn from this and move on, trust me.
As I read it, the suit was filed against the supervisor not the employer.

What was the reason given for your termination? Did you file the suit pro se or did an attorney help you? So much depends on the circumstances, reason for dismissal, employment record with this company, etc. Are you continuing the lawsuit against the supervisor? If you don't have an attorney have you considered legal aid advice or anything similar to see if you have a leg to stand on?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

What was the reason given for your termination? Did you file the suit pro se or did an attorney help you? So much depends on the circumstances, reason for dismissal, employment record with this company, etc. Are you continuing the lawsuit against the supervisor? If you don't have an attorney have you considered legal aid advice or anything similar to see if you have a leg to stand on?
I didn't file through a lawyer anything yet. I sent an e-mail to HR a month ago to report harrasment against my supervisor. I am an administrator to the Nurse to do case management. We were working on site with the adjusters who are a different company. My boss said that someone from that company called and they don't want me to work on their files anymore and my company doesn't have job for me. The adjusters loved me and it's strainge that all of the sudden they called my company to said that. I even have a friend and talked to me that is something fishy. After I e-mailed HR we all agreed supervisor, operational manager and me to meet every friday to discuss performance. I had only one meeting and this week i got fired. As a matter fact they don't like the nurse and trying to get rid of her not my company but the company we work for on site. What's legal advise can you be more specific? thank you for your reply.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
Search for information on retaliation (retaliation at work, retaliation after reporting harassment, for example).

I read an employee rights book awhile ago and there was information about retaliation, and that it is sometimes easier to prove than discrimination (side note, I am not saying it's a good idea or a bad idea to do anything, suing employer not neccesarily good idea, just mentioning something I read about).

Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Search for information on retaliation (retaliation at work, retaliation after reporting harassment, for example).

I read an employee rights book awhile ago and there was information about retaliation, and that it is sometimes easier to prove than discrimination (side note, I am not saying it's a good idea or a bad idea to do anything, suing employer not neccesarily good idea, just mentioning something I read about).
you know what...my friend say the same thing...retaliaton

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssmith528 View Post
I didn't file through a lawyer anything yet. I sent an e-mail to HR a month ago to report harrasment against my supervisor.
You said in your post that you "filed" for harassment so I assumed you had actually filed a lawsuit. Mea culpa!

It sounds like a rather complicated issue and very much dependent on (as I mentioned before) what reason was given for dismissing you and a whole bunch more variables that I think only an attorney well versed in employer/employee law in your particular state can help you with.

As I also said, if you have a legal aid office in your state they should be able to tell you whether or not you have a case. You might also start looking around for an employment attorney who might give you a free consultation to determine the same. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In most cases, the management/employer tend to take sides with the supervisor regardless, so it's never a fair trial. I would advise OP to just let it go.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Instead of looking for a lawyer, start looking for a job. Life ain't fair. Get used to it.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
In most cases, the management/employer tend to take sides with the supervisor regardless, so it's never a fair trial. I would advise OP to just let it go.
With all due respect I disagree. There are many aspects of labor laws which support viably legal cases but, as I said where this particular issue is concerned, the OP needs to investigate further to determine if he really does have a case as the situation he's described is a little complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment