Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,893 times

Advertisements

In this economy...
Be lucky you have a job
It's rough out there

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
(regarding whatever crap/abuse the employer is giving you)

"Deal with it. At least you have a job."

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,032 times
Yep, the "you're lucky to have a job" thing bothers me most. As if it's okay for employers to start treating everyone like crap now.

Another one:
"I know it's been a while, but do you know of any opportunities..."
My other favorite, often times in emails from people I haven't heard from in 5 years trying to find a job. I give people credit for trying the networking approach, but it really highlights the importance of keeping in touch with people, and not just relying on them when you need assistance.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
(regarding whatever crap/abuse the employer is giving you)

"Deal with it. At least you have a job."
YES. On my local Craigslist, someone posted about needing advice on a good employment lawyer because she was being harassed at work. Immediately, there were about 10 follow ups saying she should just 'deal with' the abuse, because she was 'lucky to have a job'.

Sorry, but nobody should have to 'put up' with abuse because it's hard to find a job.

When the economy picks up (I have faith ) those employers who treat their employees like scum are going to be screwed.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 AM

550 posts, read 1,356,223 times
I graduated college a year ago and all of my friends that didn't go to college are telling me:

"... at least you have a college degree..." and "every job requires a college degree..."

It makes me feel worse when they say that lol.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
"In this day and age..."

And for me personally, "You're so lucky, you're an RN."

Yep, I woke up one day with a license in my lap.

I lived in a tiny dorm room at age 26, worked at the same hospital where I went to school, was terribly bored and didn't fit in with most of the students, wondered why i was doing something I didn't "love," (and remember thinking, "If there's another Depression, I can work nights in a nursing home." Well, here I am, third shift in psychiatric, and often Alzheimer's.)
Lucky? Lucky in that I didn't have to support anyone else then (a personal choice, also) and that I can skid through school pretty easily if it's not algebra. Lucky that I didn't get a dread disease then.
But no, I didn't wake up and say, "Yow, I woke up with an RN!"

My sister is insisting on "positive visualization" to get past her second layoff in one year. She was an overpaid admin. assistant, almost 60, and thinks she can get a job just like the two she lost (one after 23 years, one after one year). She won't allow any talk to the contrary because that is "negative vibes." I guess reality is just too painful. (And if she gets another job at $50K a year, I will start imaging myself).
I really dislike anyone who says dismissively, "Well, maybe I'll just have to flip burgers or something," without any sense that there are people doing just that *and that is their job*, or it's the only job they could get. Like the "lower" jobs are just waiting for an unemployed English major to show up and deign to work with the proles.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
"Just network, everyone WANTS to help you."
"Re-do your resume."

"It must be you."

Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 AM

145 posts, read 576,512 times
"I don't know why you are having such a hard time finding a job, the news says the economy is picking up"

"The unemployment rate fell, you should find a job soon" - of course these people didn't notice that there were still job losses that week!

"Maybe you should just retire"

Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
"Have you tried going back to school"

Oh yeah great. Just put myself in debt to go back to school. That is a hum dinger of an idea.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
"Why don't you go into healthcare? You'll have no problem finding work."

There is no such thing as a recession/depression-proof job...and really, what good is it when the market is suddenly flooded with everyone else holding the same degree and only x amount of jobs available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment