Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

What is your most embarrassing job interview experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM

I'll go first ....

I once had this promotional interview for a large agency I worked for. I had scheduled the interview at a really bad time of the day (after my regular work shift) and right before going to classes. After checking in, I sat down in the waiting area. While I was waiting, I looked down and noticed that the middle button on my blazer was missing (these were HUGE buttons BTW) . I wound up waiting over 30 minutes and nearly dozed off as I was so sleepy. It was a hot summer day in So California which made me all the more tired. I really began to get a bad case of jitters so I told myself that I needed to turn up the charm 100% to compensate. When it was time to go into the interview room, I made sure to shake each woman's hand and demonstrated tons of energy. Each of the 4 members of my panel were interviewing for separate positions within their department so it was challenging keeping up with the pace but did the best that I could given the circumstances.

Flash forward two weeks, I get a call from the department with TWO job offers. I actually had to select which division that I wanted to work in! All that jitter and nerves were for naught.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
I was late to an interview by 15 minutes because my buddy picked me up late on purpose, and I called them and told them I was stuck in traffic. I forgot they were located in the tallest building in Cleveland and could see traffic from all around and that it obviously was not heavy at that time of day. I should have told them it was a flat tire. I got the job regardless. Isn't it funny how in all these stories we end up getting the job anyways?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
At the time I had a full time job and was interviewing for jobs during lunch and after work. Basically stressed. I went to an interview thinking that it was for a certain job with a certain company but couldn't understand why it had medical equipment in the office. I thought maybe it the company or employment agency I was interviewing with was sharing space with this medical company. Wrong! It was the medical company that I was suppose to interview with and once I realized my mistake, while in the middle of the interview I just composed myself, admitted my error and said tell me about your company. I got the job only to get fired one month later along with three other people. I noticed that the places that didn't work out for me are always looking for new people which makes me feel a little better.
Also, I have several different resumes suited for different fields that I have been in. On occassion I can't remember which resume I used while interviewing for a job and usually it will be revealed by the interviewer when they mention my present job.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
The morning of my interview, I grabbed my box of hair coloring and had at it. After it had processed and I rinsed it out, I stepped out of the shower and quickly saw that I had grabbed the box of bright red that I was going to use as highlights. I went to the interview with I Love Lucy-colored hair that was way too harsh for my 50+YO face.

I got the job, just like you all, and my new boss and I had a good laugh about it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Interviewing for my first job. Had a flurry of interviews over a three day period. In the middle of having the flu. I was nauseated, sweating, and I couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes at a time without getting dizzy. After one interview, in which the guy kept looking at me weird, I staggered back to my car. As I sat down in my car, I realized my zipper had been down the entire time.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I was late to an interview by 15 minutes because my buddy picked me up late on purpose, and I called them and told them I was stuck in traffic. I forgot they were located in the tallest building in Cleveland and could see traffic from all around and that it obviously was not heavy at that time of day. I should have told them it was a flat tire. I got the job regardless. Isn't it funny how in all these stories we end up getting the job anyways?
It is strange indeed. As I ponder the interviews for the jobs that I have received, very few of those experiences felt like successful interviews. Interestingly enough, there were these moments when I really clicked with an interviewer and never got a call back. Makes you wanna go hmmm....

Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Interviewing for my first job. Had a flurry of interviews over a three day period. In the middle of having the flu. I was nauseated, sweating, and I couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes at a time without getting dizzy. After one interview, in which the guy kept looking at me weird, I staggered back to my car. As I sat down in my car, I realized my zipper had been down the entire time.
Yowsers!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
The morning of my interview, I grabbed my box of hair coloring and had at it. After it had processed and I rinsed it out, I stepped out of the shower and quickly saw that I had grabbed the box of bright red that I was going to use as highlights. I went to the interview with I Love Lucy-colored hair that was way too harsh for my 50+YO face.

I got the job, just like you all, and my new boss and I had a good laugh about it.
That's funny.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
I received an invitation to a group interview session, from an interviewer, who had an unusual name. I addressed my cover letter to "Ms." only to discover after the session that the interviewer was a "Mr." My biggest faux pas, was going into the real interview with my cover letter and resume, and realizing I hadn't changed the "Ms." to "Mr." before handing him the copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search