Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

The best businesses are made that way because the employees work with the individual needs of the customers (not often done in schools or colleges.) In collectivist businesses policy is usually upheld like the omnipotent words of God. Sometimes people are different and have different issues and concerns. And employees should be there willing to collaborate on solving problems or negotiate on whatever subject matter, for win-win situations. Regardless of who is "in the wrong." But we cannot seriously expect such perfection I guess. Schools are especially collectivist. And they can be really uptight about "falling in line".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
School starts 7:25...the buses are always in before I get there..

Now, since so many of you seem to defend rude staff, I ask you, why do they not post a policy about this instead of being nasty? There is nothing in the handbook or anywhere stating parents are not welcome at school before a certain time.

You guys seem to misunderstand SCHOOL IS OPEN, kids are filing in, the principal is standing in the hallway GREETING people...it's not 6 am...
My son's teacher is in her class along with the 6 or 7 kids who get in before my child...

I don't expect anyone to agree. The basic point is being rude to a parent is wrong.

I'm done here..rant over...life is too short...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the parents' section.

I just got back from my son's school and I am once again appalled at how rude the office staff (or people who 'hang in the office') are when I go to drop off food or something for school events.

First off, they say you need a pass to go through the building but at 7:30 they have the 'office window' locked up so you have to use the door to the office (The mere fact they 'lock themselves away' is a joke in itself. We live in a very safe area and all the elementary schools have an open main office policy but this middle school is like Fort Knox).

Okay, so the window is locked and the 'staff' refuses to open it or acknowledge me at all (so I can get this pass to go to my son's class).

So I use the door and get 4 or 5 people GLARING at me. I just say I need to drop off X at my son's class (he cannot carry it...it's a casserole). One woman barely nods at me..They continue their conversation.

This has happened a few times. Sometimes we have to leave items at the Main Office for events. Again, it's always 'lock up' mode and 4-6 people just sitting around. No one says Good morning or hello or may I help you?

I'm all for security but it's the rude attitude that I can't stand.

We never had any problems with the elementary staff who are kind and open and welcoming. This year the 'attitude' is so 'offish' that I will not regret when we move and take our son out of this school.

I do drop him off before school and maybe they are 'annoyed' that they are 'being bothered' before hours but STILL...

It's just incredulous to me how some people have such poor manners (I think it is a BIG thing here).
Yet, they have jobs...good ones with raises every year....
Who cares if they dont say good morning? If they dont talk to you, don't talk to them

Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
If she is dealing with a bunch of females. Then some of them most likely have some sort of Paxil drug pumping through their blood-stream. That often causes a flattening of emotions and apathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Who cares if they dont say good morning? If they dont talk to you, don't talk to them

Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 AM

160 posts, read 375,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Why do you expect people to be nice to you when you are not following the protocol? Obviously, you need a pass so you obtain said pass when the proper window is open... not when it is closed. If you go when it is closed, that is your problem and you are in the wrong.
I don't think you read the initial post thoroughly. The OP did follow protocol. These office bimbos refused to get off their duffs and do their jobs. This is why you see such a backlash against civil servants nowadays.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Why do you expect people to be nice to you when you are not following the protocol? Obviously, you need a pass so you obtain said pass when the proper window is open... not when it is closed. If you go when it is closed, that is your problem and you are in the wrong.
Then they wonder why there's lack of parental involvement. I believe they should see parents as their customers and give customer service.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Glaring isn't professional behavior. I prefer to use informative words and a gentle smile. "It is policy for you to do such and such." Or "We can be flexible and accommodate you this time. However, policy does dictate you do such and such."
Please...based on your posts on this forum you complain about every work/school situation you are in. Don't make yourself out to be some sort of saint.

The fact is that the OP is upset that the office staff isn't going against policy to cater to her specifically. If she were to follow policy instead of asking them to make exceptions for her, she wouldn't have had a problem.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The best businesses are made that way because the employees work with the individual needs of the customers (not often done in schools or colleges.) In collectivist businesses policy is usually upheld like the omnipotent words of God. Sometimes people are different and have different issues and concerns. And employees should be there willing to collaborate on solving problems or negotiate on whatever subject matter, for win-win situations. Regardless of who is "in the wrong." But we cannot seriously expect such perfection I guess. Schools are especially collectivist. And they can be really uptight about "falling in line".
I have to spread some before I can rep you again, but I think you nailed it. These people figure they're going to be paid whatever they do and don't have to provide good service. But also it's that collective, everyone marching lockstep attitude we see more and more. One stands out from the herd just a little, and these bureaucrats want it squashed.

Imagine how it is being a kid in such an institution?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The staff has hours. If they choose to get in 30-45 minutes early to have coffee, read the newspaper and ready themselves for the day, they are under no obligation to unlock their office door and accept deliveries from parents before working hours. If another office crew did that at another school, that was nice of them but it does not mean that this group is obligated to do the same thing.
A similar case someone told me recently, something they witnessed. A woman came into the hospital to have blood work and other tests performed on her father who had a stroke. She came in and asked for a wheel chair as the hospital has long hallways and a poor floor plan so he would have to be hiking some distance to register and then some more distance for this procedure and the next.

The employees looked around and said they had no wheel chairs. The woman asked if they could call for one. They called some place which said they had no wheel chairs so the employees shrugged and told the woman they couldn't find any. Complete and total disinterest as the woman explained her father had trouble walking and what could she do -- nothing rude. She walked out of the office and found another employee walking in the hall and begged for help and this time did a helpful response and finally a wheelchair was produced.

More and more employees feel their obligation is to themselves and that's all they care about.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardwalk 08755 View Post
i don't think you read the initial post thoroughly. The op did follow protocol. These office bimbos refused to get off their duffs and do their jobs. This is why you see such a backlash against civil servants nowadays.

Thank you! Someone here can actually read!! I am willing to see the side of 'if you show up early and expect an unpaid worker to cater to you' that is wrong. But they ARE being paid. These are SCHOOL rules not mine.

School is open. They don't want to deal with anyone till maybe the kids are settled. Who knows why some people are just pissy instead of friendly?

I guess unions protect these people. I wonder why (in general) many miserable and angry people wind up working in schools.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 04-15-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A similar case someone told me recently, something they witnessed. A woman came into the hospital to have blood work and other tests performed on her father who had a stroke. She came in and asked for a wheel chair as the hospital has long hallways and a poor floor plan so he would have to be hiking some distance to register and then some more distance for this procedure and the next.

The employees looked around and said they had no wheel chairs. The woman asked if they could call for one. They called some place which said they had no wheel chairs so the employees shrugged and told the woman they couldn't find any. Complete and total disinterest as the woman explained her father had trouble walking and what could she do -- nothing rude. She walked out of the office and found another employee walking in the hall and begged for help and this time did a helpful response and finally a wheelchair was produced.

More and more employees feel their obligation is to themselves and that's all they care about.
I sprained my ankle once and I went to the hospital the next morning. I was forced to limp from room to room because 'they couldn't find a wheel chair.'

Yes, in a hospital.

Poor service...you see it everywhere...and what is the justification? "I don't get paid enough."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment