Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 PM

168 posts, read 518,459 times

Advertisements

I know I'm really shooting in the dark, but here it goes.

My job search since I graduated in May of last year has been complicated. I was just wondering if anyone could give some relevant advice.

Last August, I was offered a job with a defense contractor CONTINGENT on my obtaining a security clearance and the contract being awarded. In October, I was cleared at a beginning level, but I still was told nothing further from my employer. I finally gave up and started applying for other jobs beginning in January. In March, I was officially informed that the contractor did not receive the contract. Since then I've continued to apply and network like a beast but nobody is biting. I was in unemployment limbo with this contractor for quite a few months, but I had a few internships during college to buff up my resume.

I feel so used and abused. I mean the "real world" is supposed to be awful, but good grief, nobody told me it would be this EVIL. Worst of all, I've lost interest in my career goals (GIS).

I'm open for any advice, especially if you know anything about the demand for GIS Technicians or GIS Analysts.

Out of the group of graduates in my department from college, only 2 now have GIS jobs. 2....after a year....thanks America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
A lot of that has to do with the huge glut of college graduates. There is a lot of money in college tuition and federal grants to college motivate a lot of this - universities think nothing of accepting any number of students, knowing parents will mortage their homes to the hilt and that the federal government will pump in millions of dollars -- even while knowing full well that many will not find jobs in those fields.

Meanwhile many IT jobs have left the country -- labor is much much cheaper elsewhere of course. So yes, you were used and abused but now have to decide what you will do about it. Get a job in something and you may find opportunities from the inside in IT.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
The thing is, A LOT of hiring is contingent upon the employer winning a contract. Defense contractors. Building contractors. Parts manufacturers. Architects. Medical billing services. Truck drivers. And on and on.

And that will be true even in good economies. It is something you need to get used to: there is no job until you sign the paperwork. Keep looking in the meantime, don't waste that time sitting on your laurels.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The thing is, A LOT of hiring is contingent upon the employer winning a contract. Defense contractors. Building contractors. Parts manufacturers. Architects. Medical billing services. Truck drivers. And on and on.

And that will be true even in good economies. It is something you need to get used to: there is no job until you sign the paperwork. Keep looking in the meantime, don't waste that time sitting on your laurels.
True -- that's a lot of the problem with those contract jobs. Things are great until the contract expires. In my opinion those jobs are best for someone who has the flexibility to work like that. Either single where you can pack up and move wherever the next contract might be or married in a big city where the other income and insurance benefits can keep you going between contracts.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. You are totally right about there needing to be some sort of support between contracts. Honestly I'm considering just starting again from scratch and trying out a whole bunch of things all at once.

I've always been interested in city planning and real estate. Might dabble in those things. IMO they are asking too much for Geographers going into GIS. We're not computer scientists, and we're not programmers. My cartographic background just does not seem to mesh, and I'm beginning to feel that I'll be happier doing something other than what my university "prepared" me to do.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post
Thanks for the advice. You are totally right about there needing to be some sort of support between contracts. Honestly I'm considering just starting again from scratch and trying out a whole bunch of things all at once.

I've always been interested in city planning and real estate. Might dabble in those things. IMO they are asking too much for Geographers going into GIS. We're not computer scientists, and we're not programmers. My cartographic background just does not seem to mesh, and I'm beginning to feel that I'll be happier doing something other than what my university "prepared" me to do.
If you get into something else, whether temporarily while you continue to pursue the GIS, or you give up the GIS, you don't have to consider your college degree a complete waste. For one you learned things, and even if you have to change fields and have another major at some point, you're most of the way there. The future can bring other opportunities your way and you're degree won't be lost.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 AM

228 posts, read 665,250 times
My partner is finishing up in this field now- another year to go. We are pretty much planning on packing up and leaving the US when hes done (hes a foreign national that gives me visa status) but you are right about GIS expectations. Hes been making sure to take programming and maths courses, but its still uncertain. With Real Estate in the dredges (and I was laid off from that industry two years ago) its a bit of a mess. Are you open for a job anywhere? Do you do any photogammetry or anything civil engineering related?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM

I'm definitely open for a job anywhere they will take me. A lot of employers are getting the meanings of "GIS Technician" and "GIS Analyst" confused.

A GIS Technician would be entry-level -- somebody just leaving college who has been introduced to GIS and has worked with it for a while. A lot of the kinks of the software would be dealt with on the job.

A GIS Analyst would be what most employers are asking for right now -- an experienced GIS user who knows the ups and downs of the software, including different styles of database structure, SQL, conversion from AutoCAD....etc., etc., etc.

I'm not sure I'd be too happy in an "Analyst" position, but I have enjoyed being a "Technician". Now it seems they want Geographers to have years of experience in computer science courses. I hate programming. It's one of those classes where I'd just bang my head against the desk.

I have considered civil engineering before, but I'd jump into architecture or city planning before I'd head in that direction.

Geographers are being confused with software programmers. Totally different mindset. For example: a good friend of mine has a geography degree with a GIS background, but he now works for a travel agency. He doesn't make very much, but he's happy as a clam. LOL

Plus it's hard to convince people that I actually like drawing city limit lines and editing addresses, etc., because I do. I stare at Google Earth all day. What do you expect?

Last edited by Okiefrombama; 04-23-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment