Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times

Advertisements

I just switched from going to school to become a English Secondary teacher to Business marketing.

What do you all think of Marketing? I like how the pay starts off a lot better than teaching. I like that I do not have to deal with parents that act worse than the kids. LOL.

But I just wanted your opinion. Thank you so much.

-Lost 21 year old in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Isn't marketing a dried up field? It's also a really aggressive and borderline unethical field. They don't care about the exaggerations, lies, or people injured by bad products. They go through loop holes and market it as the best no matter what.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Hey Theliberalvoice! You've given some reasons why you didn't want to teach - and that's good - but you haven't listed any reasons why you'd choose marketing? And frankly, that's the important part of the equation - your desire, your strengths, your talents, your passion. Marketing as a field is great! But is the right field for you?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
I started a marketing degree several years ago, but didn't finish it. I think a lot of people want to get into get into the field with hopes and dreams of getting a creative job in advertising - and end up in sales instead, frequently in positions like retail management.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
You can do OK in marketing, but you will have a tough time finding a job at first, and then you will do some real crap work for a few years to pay your dues.

Most marketing grads end up either going into sales for a few years or becoming some sort of admin/assistant until they make the right connections and get to know a business.

You also should be prepared to do unpaid/low pay internships (working your a** off) to prove you are better than all of the other marketing grads.

From my experience with the corporate world, the top 15% of marketing grads end up with a great job within 5 years of graduation, the rest either stay in sales or do something completely unrelated.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,223,254 times
If you don't like kids you sure are not gonna like clients...LOLLLLLL

Yes you will probably go into sales because everybody wants to be in marketing. But here's the beauty about sales...you will learn more about the organization than you ever would sitting in a office writing out plans...The real important thing is to learn what kind of marketing you wanna do...so if you wanna do retail marketing get some experience or coursework in retail...if you wanna do pharma marketing take some biology courses and get pharma marketing experience...patter your coursework/expeirence with the industry your trying to get into

Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,395 times
I graduated with a degree in Marketing. The truth is it is a very hard field to get into and there is no straight path to get to where you want to be. My suggestion would be to set your goal (let's say your goal is to work at a cosmetics company in their marketing department), start setting the groundwork to achieve your goal (you've got the degree and the internship under your belt which is good), next is apply like mad to those companies that interest you and apply to companies that you necessarily wouldn't want to work at (let's say a plumbing supply house) but they have a marketing position available. I have never applied for a sales position because I know I suck at sales and the good news is not all marketing positions require sales experience. Have a professional portfolio ready for interviews (a portfolio does not need to include design or creative samples) I have my cover letter, resume, references, and letters of recommendation in my portfolio. I've gone on about 25 interviews in the past 3 years but I submitted a crazy amount of resumes. I apply to mainly Assistant and Coordinator positions because in Marketing they usually want 3+ years of experience even for entry level which is crazy. That's where your marketing skills really have to kick in (unless of course you know someone in a high position then that's where nepotism, favoritism, and all other corporate crap come into play). Let them know why you are good for the position especially if you have no experience.

Either way it's a rough field to get in to but I can tell you once you get in it work hard to stay there and work your way up. I finally landed in the company I've been trying to get into since before I graduated. Now that I am here I'm going to give it my all.

Good Luck

Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
I would go into something that emphasizes web based and online marketing. It is the way of the future. I would do a major w/some kind of minor. Business or spanish, bilingual is a good thing to be in marketing these days.

Yes, many end up in sales.

Also what happens is that the company you work for, loses a big account. EVERYONE loses their job there. Huge layoffs are rampant. And the field is very unstable. The marketing budget is the first to get cut in a downturn. Doesn't make sense, but companies are kneejerk like that. Also event marketing, fun to work on, again real spotty. Everything is dependent on the budget which change from year to year as you know.

That said, it is a very versatile field and you can go many directions with the degree. But you should really do an internship.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Isn't marketing a dried up field? It's also a really aggressive and borderline unethical field. They don't care about the exaggerations, lies, or people injured by bad products. They go through loop holes and market it as the best no matter what.
Please. I'm in marketing (not sales) and we do none of that where I work. In fact the company I work for will not lie to a potential customer, even if it costs them the sale. Maybe that's why they are still in business after 25 years and doing OK even in this economy.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You can do OK in marketing, but you will have a tough time finding a job at first, and then you will do some real crap work for a few years to pay your dues.

Most marketing grads end up either going into sales for a few years or becoming some sort of admin/assistant until they make the right connections and get to know a business.

You also should be prepared to do unpaid/low pay internships (working your a** off) to prove you are better than all of the other marketing grads.

From my experience with the corporate world, the top 15% of marketing grads end up with a great job within 5 years of graduation, the rest either stay in sales or do something completely unrelated.
this is spot on................OP, take this advice seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment